Evans Calls Foggy Bottom and Dupont Residents Mean

By 4:15 p.m. there had been 310 votes cast in Precinct 6 at the Duke Ellington School of the Arts in Ward 2. Council member Jack Evans said the turnout was typical.

In 2004, there were 314 total Democratic votes during the day. In 2006, during the mayoral race in which Mayor Fenty ran, there were a total of 567 cast during the day.
"That's good," he said when he heard today's turnout.

Evans arrived, after a swing through Foggy Bottom. Characterizing his opponent Cary Silverman's support, he said, "He's got the malcontents in the ward. To use the word 'activists' for them isn't accurate."

Evans added, "In Foggy Bottom and Dupont, people are mean-spirited. They wait every four years and show up to be mean."

Elissa Silverman_

By Marcia Davis  |  September 9, 2008; 7:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. Wire Video: Barry Confident on Primary Day
Next: Polls Close on a Low Turnout Day

Comments

What a meanie bo beanie.

Yes, Jack, and your slander against activists (I see you speak in quotation marks - how cool) is sooo nice.

Be a bit humble, my man.

Posted by: matchstick | September 9, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Ha! Voting against Jack is being mean? You have to be kidding me!

Posted by: Eric | September 9, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

There really is not a whole lot else you need to know about Jack Evans than is encapsulated by this one remark -- calling his own constituents "mean." If it were an aberration, it might be another matter; but he has been saying things like this throughout the campaign, and before, for instance, blaming residents of Shaw for being divisive (when in fact the most divisive elements in Shaw are -- supporting Jack).

Anyone who happens to disagree with Jack he dismisses as somehow morally defective. Given his record over the last seventeen years, I would think he would take a more forgiving view of the world, if only that his own shortcomings as a politician might be regarded more leniently. But maybe that's just me.

Posted by: harry lime | September 9, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

This is typical of Jack Evans. Any other candidate, expecially an incumbent, would realize that a vote of more than 30% against you isn't "mean" but is rather a large segment of the community calling into question how you are serving them, people of the Ward which you represent.

I would think that unless Evans changes who he is serving he will realize that this will be the last term he will win. This vote should be a wake-up call to him and instead of calling those who voted against him mean he should be working to get their support.

Ward 2 is changing and Evans has the opportunity to change with it. He now has four years to realize that he is not the Mayor but the representative of one of the most active Wards in the City. His role has to be to serve them first.

I hope he will use his power wisely and that he will heed the calls of the City's CFO to cut the debt level of the District while at the same time doing oversight of the CFOs office which has proven to be necessary.

We need to balance the interests of business with community interests and Evans has the ability to do that but hasn't done it well in the past. He now has four more years to get that balance right.

I supported Cary Silverman not because I am a "mean" person but because I believed Evans lost sight of what he should be doing as ward 2 councilmember. I actually don't come out only every 4 years but the people of the District know I have an intimate knowledge of the issues and people who make up the leadership of our City. I am always concerned when they seem to be putting their own and the developers interests above those of the people they serve.

So rather than being "mean" I will be watching what Jack Evans does on the Council as I hope all of the people of Ward 2 will. I for one will be willing to support him when I believe he serves the community interest and gets the balance right and will oppose him when I think he doesn't.

I think that is what voters should do. It is not being "mean" it is being involved. After all even though the salary we pay Evans as a Councilmember is only about a third of his total reported salary it is the part we pay. We should be watching to make sure we get our money's worth.

Posted by: Peter Rosenstein | September 10, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

When Jack Evans swung by the West End Library election morning, I was handing out material for Cary Silverman, standing with an Evans staffer (one of a half dozen who were on annual leave to work the election throughout the ward). Evans and I have always treated each other civilly, and we shook hands before he turned to talk to one of his banker friends, also there to hand out Evans fliers. I obviously have reasons to support Cary over Jack, but it's a little Orwellian to contemplate further years of representation by someone who believes that all of us who would prefer someone else are not only "mean" but "malcontents" for not loving him.

Posted by: Michael Thomas | September 10, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse