Norton's Office Stops Taking Names for Inaugural Tickets
It's already gotten to be too much for the Office of Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton.
Folks on the Hill have been hit with thousands and thousands of calls about tickets for the inauguration of President-Elect Barack Obama, which promises to be one of the largest, if not the largest in the nation's history.
Who in the Washington metro area hasn't gotten calls from relatives and long lost friends looking for a place to crash?
Norton's office threw in the towel Friday night, and decided it just couldn't keep up with the emails and calls about tickets for the parade and swearing-in ceremony. After saying early last week that it would take names of those wanting tickets, the office said it would have to stop because it didn't want to continue giving the impression that it would have access to enough tickets.
It has "become clear that there will be very few tickets, and not nearly enough to accommodate the inundation of calls and emails," the office said in a statement Friday evening.
As the statement noted, "The Norton office has received no information on the tickets, but it is already clear that she will not receive nearly enough to accommodate the thousands of residents requesting them. Already, fraudulent websites and individuals are "selling" free inaugural tickets."
"The Congresswoman is so concerned that she is in discussions with the president-elect's office about how to get more access to inaugural events for residents and how to keep millions of people from facing disappointment when they come to D.C. and cannot get anywhere near the National Mall or the parade," the statement continued.
Norton said she'll be meeting with security officials this week to discuss inauguration plans.
"I share the excitement and enthusiasm of my constituents, but I am concerned that even the few who obtain tickets will not be able to get through the crowds at the Mall," Norton said. "The only people sure to get a view of the parade and the swearing-in are the people who watch it on television in the comfort of their homes."
November 10, 2008; 7:00 AM ET
Categories: 2008 Presidential Race , Inauguration
Save & Share: Previous: Council to Cut Another $50 Million from Budget
Next: Low-Income Advocates Protesting at Wilson Building Over Proposed Budget Cuts
Posted by: rparker543 | November 10, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.