Del. Norton Distributes 600 "Surprise" Inaugural Tickets

Last week, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.), the District's closest thing to a real, live voting member in Congress (Norton can participate in subcommittees, but she cannot vote on the House floor), held a lottery to give out 198 tickets she had received to the inauguration. She announced that 10,000 names had been entered into the lottery of residents who had called her office requesting the coveted passes.

But today, Norton announced that -- surprise! -- she received an additional 600 tickets for standing-room areas within the security zone near the Capitol. Norton held a second lottery this morning to select the winners of the new 600 tickets and her office will contact the winners this afternoon.

Her benefactor? Norton wouldn't say. A press release announcing the extra tickets said: The "Congresswoman could not reveal the source of the tickets, but she was sure that residents would receive the additional tickets as a special anonymous gift to them and could appreciate them regardless of the source."

So who could it be? Let us know what you think in the comments.

By David A Nakamura  |  January 14, 2009; 1:19 PM ET
Categories:  Inauguration
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. Voting Rights Group's E-mail to Obama
Next: Fenty: City Residents to Help Prepare Care Packages for Troops

Comments

Who cares? Is the salient question.

Too bad you didn't have such curiosity when Cheney was busy outing covert CIA agents in a bizzarre attempt at covering Bush's State of the Union Address lies that Saddam had sought uranium for WMDs and was connected 9/11.

Please be curious about salient news, rather than being nosey and outing an anonymous donation.

Posted by: onestring | January 14, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I think some other congresspeople also got more tickets because I got a call this afternoon about a ticket as well.

Posted by: silverspring25 | January 14, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Onestring, salient does not mean the same thing as relevant.

Posted by: carleric | January 14, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

one string...speaking of salient when you mean relevant...how about timely?

Posted by: jflo234 | January 14, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Aww, man. I wish I would have contacted her office. What a great thing for residents of the District that have to put up with a lot of things - including not having a vote in Congress.

Thanks, Eleanor, and anyone that gets those tickets should be proud. I know I would be.

Posted by: CaptainJohn2525 | January 14, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I think the use of the term salient by onestring was both intentional and very appropriatly used in this case.

Posted by: meander | January 14, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

What most likely happened was each congressman/woman receive a certain n umber of tickets to issue to their constituants. The idea being these tickets are for the general public --not donating brown-nosers.

Because airlines pulled serious price gouging of airline tickets. From where I live in seattle after the elcetion the dirct flight to Dulles was in the neighborhood of $2,000--same true from LA and San fran for the nonstop flights. You could fly to BWI for a more reasonable fare.

Along with that and the economy you didnt have many people who wanted to travel to DC for the ingaruation so members of congress likely gave their extre tickets to those to Del Norton and the surounding congressmen in the metro DC area as well

At the start extra tickets given to Obama's two home states of Illinois and Hawaii. With those not claimed returned to the metro DC pool to be distributed to the citizens of the area.

Posted by: djp98374 | January 14, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if this is just an event, that due to all the bluster, is scaring people away:
- announcement this week that 7K less buses are not coming
- 15K rooms still availible in DC, VA and MD
- Unofficial balls looking for participants
- downgrades from 4 million to 1.2 million weeks ago.
-now they are handing out tickets because they were unclaimed

Posted by: shackleton | January 14, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Can God give you Inaugural tickets? No, but Norton can. Can God give you candy? No, but Lenin can.

Overthrow the tyranny of capitalist candy with the great taste of commie cola pops! When sucking on a Norton Lollipop people may question your patriotism but not your taste in candy.

Once you get over the initial reluctance to put a human head in your mouth, you'll find that the subtle contours and cola flavor of these Eleanor Holmes Norton Head Lollipops are worth the strange looks you'll get as you suck them. Each sucker is about 2-1/4" tall with a 4" plastic stick.

Posted by: Salsgiver1 | January 14, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

C'mon. I heard from multiple poeple, who had called in, that she announced to just stop calling because she would not be getting that many tickets.

Posted by: plhare | January 14, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Interestingly enough, I specifically remember the night when Norton went on the news with such surprise after people started calling her office about tickets, and I remember very clearly when she said that she was not going to take names, and requested that people stop calling her office about tickets...what a joke.
Is anyone else ready for some new representation for DC? I sure am.

Posted by: rparker543 | January 14, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I would like to say that November 7, 2008 at 3:35pm I emailed the congresswoman's office for tickets in return I received a email that stated due to the huge request for tickets that her office will not be given out anymore tickets. I was planning on going even if it meant looking on a big screen until yesterday at 12:30pm I received a email stating that my name was picked in a lottery drawing to receive 2 tickets. I went and picked my tickets up yesterday after work I'm thankful that I was able to receive these tickets no matter who she received them back from. I thank GOD that I was given favor and I will be there.

Posted by: chocokiss | January 15, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse