Ray Speaks About Removal

Clark Ray said city Administrator Dan Tangherlini called him yesterday and told him to meet at the John A. Wilson Building at 7 p.m.

That's when the director of Parks and Recreation learned that Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) wanted to go in a new direction. In other words, he was fired. "I had no idea," Ray said. "But that's what I signed up for. I've been around politics to know what at will means."

The entire transaction took about 15 minutes. "I walked out the door at 7:17," Ray said.

Ray said he did not know what he would be doing next despite Fenty's announcement today that he was going to the Greater Washington Sports Alliance.

Tangherlini "mentioned" the regional sports commission as a possible new employer, Ray said. "That's a very nice gesture on behalf of the mayor," Ray said.

At a press conference where Fenty announced former principal Ximena Hartsock as Ray's successor, the mayor said he wanted the department to focus on programs.

"I think we did a pretty good job at programming," Ray said. "I am more than willing to stand behind the work."

By Nikita R Stewart  |  April 20, 2009; 2:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Update: Former Principal To Head Parks
Next: Gay Democrats Blast Fenty

Comments

Is the Greater Washington Sports Alliance the graveyard for "fired, but not fired" DC government folks. Didn't the CFO of DCPS get sent there. If so, that's about $300K in salary for people to do what?

Posted by: oknow1 | April 20, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

To do what?

Get DC United a new stadium, that's what!!!

D.C. U-NI-TED! Clap-clap, cla-cla-cla-clap!
D.C. U-NI-TED! Clap-clap, cla-cla-cla-clap!
D.C. U-NI-TED! Clap-clap, cla-cla-cla-clap!
D.C. U-NI-TED! Clap-clap, cla-cla-cla-clap!
D.C. U-NI-TED! Clap-clap, cla-cla-cla-clap!
D.C. U-NI-TED! Clap-clap, cla-cla-cla-clap!
D.C. U-NI-TED! Clap-clap, cla-cla-cla-clap!
D.C. U-NI-TED! Clap-clap, cla-cla-cla-clap!

Posted by: bs2004 | April 20, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Clark Ray, my dear, when talking to Councilmember Harry Thomas Jr. you were too honest and forthright about the circumstances surrounding the firing of Michael Williams. You were without a doubt a Fenty loyalist and even with your "at-will" status you nor anyone else expected you of all people to be a victim of a Fenty firing. Nickles has advised Fenty to fire you as a scapegoat in the Michael Williams lawsuit. You're gonna be framed as a problem employee that made a poor decision, used poor judgement, etc and the Fenty administration will say that they "fixed" the problem by getting rid of you.

Posted by: bullpen2010 | April 20, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Fenty is a serial a-hole

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | April 21, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

As a DCPS parent, I had noticed the parks and rec department started this year to offer programming during school spring breaks, and day's off (at least this is the first year I noticed this programming). That is very helpful for parents to have a safe place for children during the myriad of school day's off. So, I agree with Mr. Ray when he stands behind his work on programming.

Something sure does not feel right about this personnel decision on Fenty's part. It's reminding me of when Michele Rhee fired the principal of her daughter's school . . . . .

Posted by: ShepherdParentof2redheads | April 21, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse