Round Two on OCTO Probe
D.C. Council member Mary M. Cheh (D-Ward 3) now has subpoena power in an investigation of the Office of the Chief Technology Officer scandal, which came to light last month when the FBI made arrests--two employees and a contractor---and raided the agency's offices looking for evidence.
The D.C. Council bumped heads with Attorney General Peter J. Nickles who said the executive branch could not appear before the council to answer questions about OCTO's operations because the investigation was ongoing.
Cheh has raised the stakes with the subpoena power and now round two begins.
"The Council is sensitive to the fact that there is an ongoing criminal investigation and will work carefully and collaboratively with the US Attorney's office," Cheh said in a statement. "Nevertheless, the Council has independent oversight responsibilities and the Committee intends to look at the systems, policies, and procedures that permitted this fraud to occur. We want to know how this happened and what actions the Council must take to prevent it from happening in the future."
Posted by: my2centsis | April 3, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: concernedaboutdc | April 3, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.