Nickles Slows Down Probe into Fire Truck
Two D.C. Council committees were scheduled to hold closed-door meetings today to depose two Fenty administration officials as part of the ongoing Council investigation into how a surplus fire truck ended up, temporarily, in the Dominican Republic.
But Attorney General Peter J. Nickles, following through on a promise he made last week, is refusing to allow Robin Booth, the property management disposal specialist in the Office of Contracting and Procurement, and Deputy Fire Chief Ronald E. Gill Jr. to be put under oath today.
In a letter delivered yesterday to the members of the Public Safety and Judiciary and Government Operations and the Environment committees, Nickles said neither Booth nor Gill will testify until there are "witness protection procedures developed."
He said he wants a setup similar to that used by pro bono counsel WilmerHale in the council's investigation of the scandal in the Office of Tax and Revenue.
"Since I have not been informed that those procedures are in place, you should not expect Ms. Booth of Deputy Chief Gill to appear to testify pursuant to the Committee's subpoena power," Nickles wrote.
It's unclear if the committees still plan to hold executive sessions today absent the two star witnesses.
Posted by: concernedaboutdc | May 15, 2009 7:51 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: candycane1 | May 15, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: letsbereal2 | May 16, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.