Brown For Mayor?

Updated: 10:45 a.m.

No not Council member Kwame R. Brown. Not Council member Michael A. Brown.

Just to keep the confusion going with all the Browns in politics these days, Sulaimon Brown, a former campaign volunteer for Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D), is mounting a challenge against the incumbent.

Brown, 38, who says he's an auditor by trade, said his job now is "full-time candidate." The 38-year-old native Washingtonian said in an interview that he attended Duke Ellington School of the Arts and the University of the District of Columbia. He now lives in Northeast in Ward 5.

He will kickoff his campaign on June 27 and said he is not worried about Fenty's $2 million-plus campaign warchest. "Well, we intend to run a strong grassroots campaign. A campaign is about all about the people. We intend to get the people behind us," Brown said.

His news release says the following:

"His message - 'Love for D.C. '- is simple. When he is elected mayor, he
hopes to unite all corners of the city through a better working
relationship with city council, the District of Columbia residents and
Congress. Key goals of Brown's administration will be to create jobs,
to reduce the city's skyrocketing HIV rate, to help our seniors living
with bed bugs and hunger, to provide more modern education tools for
our youth in the classrooms and to stop the increase of crime in the
city. As mayor, Brown will also work closely with the Obama
Administration to restore a sense of service in the D.C. community."

In 2006, Brown filed a complaint with the D.C. Office of Campaign Finance that Fenty had overstated his fund-raising in the mayoral campaign by more than $21,000.

Fenty was cleared, and his camp described Brown as a "disgruntled" volunteer who quit because he wasn't getting paid despite requesting a salary. Brown countered saying the Fenty campaign treated him badly by forcing him to stay on the trail though he had a chest cold.

By Nikita R Stewart  |  June 10, 2009; 10:15 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Golf Icons Celebrate Langston's History
Next: Hearing on Same-Sex Marriage Vote Under Way

Comments

If he was volunteering, then working while being sick was a stupid decision to make. I want an anti-Fenty vote badly, but geez! Who is this guy?

Posted by: candycane1 | June 10, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I echo the call for a serious and credible candidate for an anti-Fenty vote. What is Kevin Chavous doing these days?

Posted by: tlc20011 | June 10, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I 3rd it! Ofcourse I was never for Fenty and knew what I was afraid of would come to pass, which it has and is currently doing.

I was in the Cropp corner from the get go anyway, so I don't feel as bad as those who voted for Fenty.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

As Faith has proved previously, ANYONE can run for mayor of the District of Columbia, LOL.

Posted by: dcpsychic | June 10, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

This is obviously some kind of joke. What kind of managerial or executive experience does this guy have? A disgruntled volunteer? Next!

Posted by: forgetthis | June 10, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Well, DC Wire's post on Mr Brown certainly didn't do him any favors.

A guy tosses his hat in the ring and the Wire gives him a prompt tar and feathering, making him look like a crackpot.

If this is an indication of The Wire's bias towards the MAF administration, then I thank you for this clear heads-up.

Posted by: IHeartDC | June 10, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Well, this article certainly makes him sound like a joke, and remember, it was Fenty, not Brown himself who referred to him a "disgruntled volunteer."

Here's his website: http://sulaimonbrownformayor.com/index.html

The home page pictures him and Obama. The "About" page pictures him and Biden - and nothing else. He does have an event coming up and is ready to receive donations.

Maybe he'll be a serious candidate and/or maybe he'll be a catalyst for serious candidates to enter the race.

Posted by: efavorite | June 10, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Linda Cropp running in this election would look like Wonder Woman now. Always best time to strike is when folks know they voted for the wrong person. Come On Linda, as Biggie would say "GIVE US ONE MORE CHANCE" and trust us Ms Cropp you will be Mayor this time!

Posted by: CashNDC | June 10, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I echo the call for a serious and credible candidate for an anti-Fenty vote. What is Calvin Gurley doing these days?

Posted by: Walkernupe2 | June 10, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Adrian has turned for the worse. I didn't vote for him as mayor, because I knew he would get a big head. Adrian if you read these comments, you have turned off a lot of Ward 4 voters with your nasty attitude. You are an embarrassment to the brother of Kappa Alpha Psi, Inc.

Posted by: Ward4DC | June 10, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Chavous is not the answer. man has no spine. you think schools are bad now, you need to hear some of this guys ideas.

No to Mike Brown and Kwame Brown too. Cropp might reverse the landslide she lost against Fenty.

I propose Deborah Nichols, the DC Auditor. DC needs someone with management experience, organizational skills, etc. As a city auditor she should have the skills to come in an address/fix many ills in the city. She's been bold and independent thus far.

Posted by: oknow1 | June 10, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Hope this Brown fellow is not an extension of Major Fenty to create and situation that he Fenty is been challanged. I don't want to pass judgement but we do need a strong contender not just anybody.

Posted by: ddtwegby | June 10, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Marie Johns, are you out there somewhere?

Posted by: tlc20011 | June 10, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Marie Johns please phone home!

I love Londa Cropp but her campaign was the most incompetent mess since home rule and she refused to make the necessary changes at the top. The luckiest day in Adrian Fenty's life was the day Linda Cropp hired Phyllis Jones to be her campaign manager. She was worse then incompetent, she was aggressive about it.

Either Johns or Cropp have the gravitas and bona fides to do the job.

Kevin Chavous, either Brown, why bother, all three would be as bad if not worse then Adrian.

Posted by: SoCali | June 10, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

This guys is against bed bugs. I'm in.

Posted by: dcjoshy | June 10, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

We are in trouble now. 4thfloor I was a Cropp supporter too! I worked in her campaign and felt so bad for the city when she lost. I was embarrassed to see so many DC residents blinded by Fenty's foolishness. I thought we were better than that as a group of city dwellers. He had nothing to offer the city then. He knew very little about the city's business. Linda knew it, quoted it and had truly lived it.

The Fenty supporters are reaping next to nothing from putting him in office. Now we are left with candidates that no one is sure about whether they are capable or serious enough. DIPSTICS seem to rule right now. How awful!

Posted by: shank2sb | June 10, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Time for an independent voice....David Catania for Mayor!

Posted by: johnklenert | June 10, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

We need Marie Johns to step back onto the trail. She was the best, most qualified, least entrenched in DC politics, candidate in 2006 and can pose a serious challenge against Fenty. Or perhaps Robert Bobb? Anthony Williams?

This election will be against Fenty, but someone QUALIFIED...

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | June 10, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

It's time for a white mayor. I am sick and tired of hearing of the mayor being tied up with fool groups like the Peaceoholics or any of these other black organizations. Evans, Cheh, Catania would not have those issues. There would be no hanger ons driving the mayor's car if Cheh was mayor. While neither of the three I mentioned would necessarily cater to the black community, I feel they would do what is right for the city. In that light, everyone would benefit.

Posted by: nathanmboggs1 | June 10, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Who?

Posted by: knjon353 | June 10, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Last time around, I was for Marie Johns. I wonder if she's still interested in the job?

Posted by: tlc20011 | June 10, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it possible Fenty's people convinced this guy to run? That way, if Michael or Kwame Brown run, it confuses voters.

Forcing a volunteer to work with a chest cold during a campaign was the reason he quit? Come now most candidates get sick several times on the campaign trail without taking breaks. Obama took less than half a day for his grandmother's funeral and this guy's complaining about a chest cold?

Posted by: nwrepresent1 | June 10, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I must admit I was totally bamboozled by Fenty (after Williams I was looking for a bit a fresh air). Even though I'm a life-long Democrat, I would vote for someone who is for all of the people in DC and I believe that is Carol Schwartz. She lost the Republican primary because she was too moderate. She's been a resident since 1966 and has fought for the good of the City since becoming a member of the Board of Education in '84 (her degree is in elementary and special education -- which is something I believe would truly help with our education system). And her children went to DC public schools. She won the City Council At-Large seat in 1974 and Ms. Schwartz has worked for the people of the City since then. It mayn't be popular for a Republican, white woman to be mayor of DC but I'm for whoever will be the best for all of the people of DC -- Run, Carol, Run!!

Posted by: ej56 | June 10, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

As a DC resident, I was delighted to see Williams go. I was delighted to see Cropp lose by the big margins.

I voted for Fenty. Whether or not I vote for him again is up in the air. If there is another candidate whose message I like better, then I'll consider that option.

Posted by: dcis1 | June 10, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Fenty needs to go! How about Tommy Wells? I like what he has done for Ward 6. Eleanor Holmes Norton needs to go too. After reading today that she almost single-handedly derailed the DC Voting Rights Bill because of a gun rights amendment I have completely lost confidence in her ability to make the right decision.

Posted by: CapitolHill1 | June 10, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nathanmboggs1 | June 10, 2009 3:35 PM
______________________________________

So change the color of the players and you change the corruption. No, I don't think so, the cronnies will just be white instead of black. You can believe that. Adrian Fenty isn't as black as you think, look at his cabinet and other appointees. He is as white as a lilly.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | June 10, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

how about mayor barry?

Posted by: californicationdude | June 10, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tlc20011 | June 10, 2009 11:25 AM
--------------------------------------
Whatever he's doing, I hope he continues doing it out of public life...that guy is Fenty on Steroids!

Posted by: Beingsensible | June 10, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Murrian Burry for Mayor.

Posted by: michigannn | June 10, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Reading these suggestions makes me wonder if Sponge Bob or Bart Simpson would do.

Come on people. Keep thinking. Definitely not these choices you are coming up with. Is there anyone out there with some hidden talents, qualifications, desires and abilities that would profit the people of this great city? Commit yourself NOW!

Maybe we should form a search committee.

Posted by: shank2sb | June 10, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

The question is who would be viable candidate to give Fenty a run for his money. I must say that I have a beef with every council member with the exception of one: Harry Thomas. When Fenty starts bullying the little guy, Harry Thomas is always there fighting for the underdog. I wish he would run. Other than that, I'd like to see Linda Cropp come back and mount a charge.

Posted by: starclimber9 | June 10, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Mary Cheh is a wimp.

I don't know much about some of the several other people mentioned but am happy to see that there seems to be options.

Posted by: efavorite | June 10, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I met Marie Johns at a fundraiser once. Nice lady. But she ran the limpest campaign and was terribly naive. She has little energy, though is courtly in a pleasing way. She had no ideas about the schools. I am afraid her career in the the highly regulated, cost-plus telephone utility business gives her little background to be an executive of a real, live organization. Please do not give her another thought as a mayoral candidate. Thanks.

Posted by: axolotl | June 10, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

The website headline calls this guy an "aide" to Fenty. With a name like Sulaimon, hardly! Everybody knows Fenty like white boys with cute bubble butts as his closet, oops, I mean closest aides at least until he tires of them and
kicks them to the curb.

Adrian Fenty and Neal Albert are like the new age J. Edgar Hoover and Clyde Tolson here in DC.

Linda Cropp and Marie Johns, please phone home!

Posted by: SoCali | June 10, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I, too, would be a strong supporter of Marie Johns. This CEO headed a billion dollar corporation with a staff nearing the population of DC. Too often we vote for people we are familiar with instead those who are extremely qualified.

Posted by: eileenflowers | June 11, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: eileenflowers | June 11, 2009 9:32 AM
____________________________________

True to all of that, besides that, she resisted the dirty politics that Linda Cropp fell to.

Johns' is a class act with the business savvy of a corporate CEO and social sensitivity of a mother.

She did incredibly well considering she was little known in 2006. She came in right behind Cropp.

I think the District is now ready to hear what she, as an outsider to D.C. politics, has to say. Her message was always spot on. But NOW is the time for her to step up.

I'd volunteer, in a heartbeat.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | June 11, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse