Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

DC Preservation League Releases 2009 List of "Most Endangered Places"


Photo credit: Theola Labbé-DeBose

The large brick home that dates to 1795 sits on the 600 block of D St SE, with boarded up windows and green moss on its bricks. Friendship House, as it is called, is one of six locales that the D.C. Preservation League said today made the 2009 list of "Most Endangered Places."

Since 1996 the League has compiled and released a list of places it considers to be of historic, cultural and architectural significance that could go away-- either through neglect, abandonment demolition or alteration.

Standing outside of Friendship House, League Executive Director Rebecca Miller spoke to a small group of concerned citizens and reporters about this year's list and progress made on "endangered places" from previous years. From 2005 list, Battleground National Cemetery in the 6000 block of Georgia Ave NW will get some improvements through the recently approved federal stimulus package, Miller said.

If you can't open the pdf attachment on the League's website, here's their 2009 list: (Photos courtesy of the D.C. Preservation League)

TrolleyTrestle.jpg

1. Foundry Branch Trolley Trestle (above)
(Crossing Foundry Branch of Potomac River in Glover Archibold Park, north of Canal Rd NW)
One of only two remaining bridges along the former trolley line linking Georgetown and Glen Echo, MD.


Third Church.jpg

2. Third Church of Christ, Scientist (above)
(900 16th St NW)
A "brutalist" style of architecture that has stirred debate when it was built in 1971, but has also won awards. A developer has bought the property and plans to demolish it to build a new office building.


BarneyCircle.JPG

3. Barney Circle Neighborhood (above)
(Bounded by Potomac Ave SE to the north, 17th St SE to the east, Kentucky Ave SE to the west and Pennsylvania Ave SE to the south)
A residential neighborhood whose architecture is largely intact, but in recent years, homes have been expanded by adding on an additional third story, a construction trend known as "pop ups,"


[NO PHOTO AVAILABLE]
4. Mead's Row
1305-1331 H St NE
Named for builder Charles C. Meads, the owner of two buildings on the block is proposing to tear them down and build a parking lot for neighborhood restaurants and a nearby performing arts theater.


Dalecarlia house.jpg

5. Superintendent's House- Dalecarlia Reservoir, Washington Aqueduct (above)
(5211 Little Falls Rd NW)
An 1857 residence designed by Montgomery C. Meigs, the engineer of the Washington Aqueduct.

friendship house.jpg

6. The Maples (Friendship House) (above)
(619 D St SE)
One of Capitol Hill's oldest residences, built between 1795 and 1798.

--Theola Labbé-DeBose

By Theola Labbé-DeBose  |  June 2, 2009; 3:49 PM ET
Categories:  Browse By Writer , City Life , Economic Development , Theola Labbé-DeBose  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Council Okays Five-Cent Tax on Paper, Plastic Shopping Bags
Next: Video: D.C. Clergy Voice Support for Gay Marriage Recognition

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company