Two D.C. Residents Challenge Bishop Jackson

Two District residents are challenging Bishop Harry Jackson's qualifications to lead the fight against a D.C. Council bill that legalizes same-sex marriages performed elsewhere.

Cary Silverman, president of the Mount Vernon Association, and Martin Moulton claim Jackson was ineligible to seek a referendum on the bill because he is a resident of Maryland.

"If I hopped into my car, drove out to Annapolis and tried to rewrite the laws of Maryland, I'd expect them to come down on me like a ton of bricks," said Silverman, who unsuccessfully challenged Council member Jack Evans (D-Ward 2) last year. "This is a matter of principle - we don't want residents of other states interfering with our laws."

The challenge follows a Washington Blade story that raised questions about whether Jackson was a District resident. Jackson registered to vote in the District on April 22, after the Council approved the legislation on first reading. Jackson's District residence is a one-bedroom apartment he shares with someone else.

Jackson also remains registered to vote in Montgomery County, where he owns two homes, according to property records.

In a recent interview, Jackson dismissed questions about his residency, stressing he's a legal resident with a valid drivers license. Jackson, pastor of Hope Christian Church in Beltsville, added hundreds of his parishioners are District residents. Jackson also accused The Blade of endangering his safety by publishing his home address.

Jackson is just one of several same-sex marriage opponents challenging the Council bill. No questions have been raised about whether any of the other opponents reside in the District.

Last week, the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics blocked the opponents' efforts to hold a referendum on the bill. But the group, led by Jackson, is currently appealing that decision in Superior Court.

"This referendum should have been kicked out from the get-go," Silverman said. "It should never have seen the light of day."

--Tim Craig

By Tim Craig  |  June 24, 2009; 2:17 PM ET
Categories:  Tim Craig
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gray Warns of Tough Budget Cuts in Coming Weeks
Next: Prosecutors Trying Plea Deal in OCTO Kickback Case

Comments

Darn - I didn't know I could vote in another state; own property, etc. and then register to vote in DC. I'm no longer a DC resident (was for 25 years)I live 3 states to the south but I'm going to register so I can cancel out Jackson.

Posted by: rlj611 | June 24, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

It's about time! And if they got the court to OK a delay and proceeded with the collection of signatures, how many ex-marylanders would be signing?

I guess lying is OK when you're fighting those evil gays. Bahh ha ha

Posted by: Dale8 | June 24, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

The people who collect signatures must also be D.C. residents and registered voters. If you see these folks collecting signatures, ask to see their license.

Posted by: alewis4 | June 24, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

This guy is a fraud and a hater. Probably even on the down low. He reminds me of what I read about the white evangelicals during the civil rights movement, who were on the wrong side of human rights and history. They formed so-called Christian academies so that their white children wouldn't have to go to school with black children with integration. He should know better, repent and give up on hate.

Posted by: chelita | June 24, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Well, I must say that I am pleased to see someone stand up to the self-hating-closted-homosexual-carpetbagger, Jackson.

Posted by: IHeartDC | June 25, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Fantleroy is co-filing with several D.C. residents - bye-bye.

D.c. is not a State, you don't want D.C. voters to vote upon altering the definition of marriage?

let's leglilate term limits by referendum, oh - that's right DCBOE along with D.C.'s life-time Congresswomen had her National Affairs vote in House matters removed - ouch!

You will not redefine marriage with out public input - D.C. Democratic Party in the USC Case upholding Law Schools' (Michigan) right to allow US African Americans "credits" due to past discriminatory insuffucient "separate-but-equal" public Schools education, which by the way - under Mayor Fenty, D/C African American Public Schools continue to graduate less than 50% of its students.

My vote is for accountability, you may choose D.C. Council's closed door gerrymandering (pandering) self interest, because they are gay, but, that is not the overwhelming D.C. majority's preference.

Therefore the voter will eventually prevail.

Huff and puff all you want that legislation will not stand, out, without the voter.

Jim Crow never could withstand a voting public.

Posted by: eglobegus | June 25, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse