Barry Upset Contract Story Went Public

The D.C. Council formally approved a resolution today giving attorney Robert S. Bennett subpoena power to investigate Marion Barry's decision to give a city contract to his then girlfriend, Donna Watts-Brighthaupt.

Before the vote, Barry (D-Ward 8) said others, not himself, are to blame for the controversy. Barry reiterated he thinks the U.S. Park Police should take responsibiity for their role in the story because, he said, they should have never arrested him July 4 for stalking Watts-Brighthaupt. The U.S. Attorney's Office later dropped the charges.

"I am going to vote for this resolution, but let me describe how I think we got here," Barry said. "We got here July 4 of this year when Park Police arrested me illegally for supposedly stalking Ms. Donna Watts. The police officers had no evidence to that...During my 50 years of public service; I have never even remotely been accused of stalking or harassing a woman... The Park Service did a disservice to this community by arresting me."

Barry then turned his fire on his colleagues. Barry, without offering up evidence, accused one of Council colleagues of leaking the contract story to the press.

Reporters, Barry said, "were led to this by one or more members of the city Council."

"What I resent the most is one or more members of the City Council led them to this," Barry said. "The desire was to impugn my integrity, destroy my integrity....I have always pushed for accountability. I have always pushed for transparency."

He continued, "Even my critics will say, I have the highest integrity when it comes to contracts."

--Tim Craig

By Tim Craig  |  July 14, 2009; 3:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Graham Proposes 'Barack Hussein Obama Park'
Next: Barry Defends Self On CNN

Comments

Highest integrity when it comes to contracts??? Two words: Yong Yun

Posted by: billjones21 | July 14, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah right. Mr. Barry, we are not stupid. Everyone knows you are corrupt and not fit to serve.

Posted by: columbiaheights | July 14, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

It's not Marion's integrity that's high.

Posted by: taxworep | July 14, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Flip? Wilson? is that you? Geraldine? as in "the devil made me do it"? this routine is dated and Mr. Barry, not nearly as good as the original.

Posted by: medogsbstfrnd | July 14, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

"I am an intelligent man; I am a deeply educated man; I am a humble man."

- Marion Barry

Posted by: timyuskavage | July 14, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Mr.Barry you have played the part of the victim too many times. It is never your fault. Come on, be a man and say you made a mistake.We are all so tired of your sorry excuses.

Posted by: DCWatcher3 | July 14, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

the man is a crook and a parasite who has no integrity and no morals. he repeatedly refuses to file and pay taxes, he repeatedly gets caught in all kinds of illegal activities, yet somehow no one does anything about it. What gets me the most is that this crook is still elected!!!! I blame the crooks, drug dealers, and getto hoodlems and getto mamas for elceting someone to encourage them to continue living the life of criminals, social disease, parasites and leeches that suck the life blood out of hard working tax payers - since we tax payers are paying for these parasites to sit on their bottoms, eat, watch tv, use drugs, spread drugs, and spread diseases....it is disgusting that such a man can still get away with murder! I seriously doubt that such a man can still be living free and keep such a job if he were white!!!!

Posted by: genevieve2000 | July 14, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

ROTFL. Lock the POS up.

Posted by: RealityCheckerInEffect | July 14, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Barry said,"During my 50 years of public service; I have never even remotely been accused of stalking or harassing a woman."

So forcing a woman out of a hotel room and making her sleep in a car overnight because she would not provide oral sex is not harassment??

Posted by: letsbereal2 | July 14, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

"The Park Service did a disservice to this community by arresting me."

Um, sorry no, the disservice to the community occurred when they released you.

Posted by: monongahela79 | July 15, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

We have such a childish Council. The contract story was leaked by David Catania who doesn't have the pearls to confront Barry head on. He is such a mean and surly blowhard.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | July 16, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse