D.C. Teachers Become Central Office Fellows

Chancellor Michelle A. Rhee, who presided over the firing of 250 teachers last month, is also continuing her attempts to build bridges with District educators by bringing six of them into her office for a five-week summer fellowship.

Rhee said in a statement that the first annual Teachers Central to Leadership initiative is designed "to inform and enrich DCPS policy-making and projects with [teachers'] invaluable on-the ground input."

The six teachers, selected from 150 applicants, will work in various divisions of senior DCPS ranks, including human capital, special education and family and public engagement. They'll receive $5,000 stipends.

The teachers are: Aris Pangilinan (math), HD Woodson High School, a winner of the 2009 Agnes Meyer Outstanding Teacher award presented by The Washington Post Educational Foundation; Brooke Buerkle (social studies), Columbia Heights Educational Campus, named Outstanding First Year Teacher by DCPS in 2008; Cynthia Robinson (first grade), H.D. Cooke Elementary, who serves on the board of the Capital Area National Association for Bilingual Education; Lynn Lahti-Hommeyer (elementary science resource), Bruce-Monroe Elementary@ Parkview, honored at a 2006 White House ceremony with a presidential award for excellence in mathematics and science teaching; Margaret Slye (literacy professional developer), Scott Montgomery Elementary, a former Teach For America corps member, and Tondra J. Odom-Owens (fifth grade), Savoy Elementary, who co-wrote the current fourth grade learning standards in reading and language arts for DCPS.

Bill Turque

By Bill Turque  |  July 1, 2009; 11:12 AM ET
Categories:  Bill Turque , Education
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tax Office Misdirecting Refund Checks, Catania Says
Next: Brokaw Visits Rhee on Route 50 Tour

Comments

Now that sounds like a transformational leadership strategy. Unification of all aspects of the system is and always has been the key to positive reformation. So long as the move is genuine and not a publicity stunt.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | July 1, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

It's a publicity stunt -- the whole reform effort has been and in these next 6 months they are going to work overtime to make things appear to be happening in the school system. It's report card time and someone is failing again. The first year = incomplete, second year = F.

It's also interesting how they are gonna take a very small percentage of teachers and make it all appear inclusive but those teachers should be asking why did they have to fire 250 teachers and why do they work so hard to exclude the union, the parents and most of the teaching population.

I think her shipped has sailed and it's heading west. I hope she makes it aboard and never returns again. She's hopeless and just throwing money away with all of these iniatives and third-party contractors but she can't pay teachers. She can pay everyone else but can't afford to keep worthwhile teachers. I say that because she arbitrarily fire teachers.

Posted by: wtf1 | July 1, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

I have heard of Brooke Buerkle and Cynthia Robinson from other parents so that sounds good to me so far!

Posted by: bbcrock | July 2, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

wtf, you have truly no idea what you're talking about. It's as if you keep writing in the hopes that what you say will someday become real.

In what situation are parents excluded? I've had teachers complain to me that they're excluded while parents are included? Are you talking about the gang members complaining in Ward 8 that Rhee didn't respect drug gang turf wars and keep two middle schools separate? I have heard that yarn for years now and as a tax payer it disgusts me that ANYONE in their right mind should claim that our tax money should be spent keeping people from different neighborhoods separate.

I think Rhee needed to fire more than 250 teachers but right now all the teachers I identified in 2007 as incompetent have been fired. I haven't been back to that school in a year, but to the best of my knowledge from friends, all the worst teachers were declared unfit to teach and the best teachers remain (except for one who was poached as a principal for a charter school). So with all the most dangerous teachers from my kid's first school fired, the real teachers with real degrees who get real results remain- that was all I could hope for.

Posted by: bbcrock | July 2, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

bbcrock I thought I told u earlier that I wouldn't respond to you.

U POSSIBLY CAN'T UNDERSTAND ME BECAUSE U R DELUSIONAL. I'M TRYING TO MOVE THE ARGUMENT FORWARD AND YOU CONSTANTLY ARE HOLDING ON TO A PIPE DREAM WITH YOUR ONE STORY ABOUT YOUR ONE SCHOOL AND THEN YOU SPECIFICALLY REFER TO SITUATIONS THAT I'M SURE DON'T EXIST AND HAVEN'T EXISTED.

YOUR SCENARIOS ARE DELUSIONAL AND MISGUIDED AND I DON'T EVEN BELIEVE THAT UR A PARENT WITH A STUDENT IN THE SCHOOL SYSTEM. I BELIEVE THAT UR A CROCK OF **** AS I SAID EARLIER.

AGAIN YOUR POST ARE HIDEOUS, DELUSIONAL. I DON'T KNOW WHO U R AND I REALLY DON'T CARE SO CONTINUE ON WITH YOUR FABRICATED SCENARIOS AND SINCE U R SUCH A HERO Y WEREN'T U FEATURED ON THE AMERICAN CHARACTER PIECE WITH TOM BROKAW. U R SO FULL OF IT THAT YOU DON'T DESERVE ANY TYPE OF RESPONSE SO PLS LEAVE MY POST ALONE AND CARRY ON..

Posted by: wtf1 | July 3, 2009 6:32 AM | Report abuse