Police Release More Details on Evans Aide

D.C. Council member Jack Evans' communications director, Desi Deschaine, was last seen about 10:30 p.m Sunday at the Baltimore Harbor but was not reported missing until 12 hours later, Baltimore police said today.

Deschaine, 30, was pronounced dead earlier today after he was discovered floating in the Inner Harbor. Baltimore police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said there is no evidence of foul play, and he's not sure why it took so long to report him missing.

According to the police report, one of Deschaine's friends reported him missing about 10:00 a.m. Monday, Guglielmi said. The friend told police Deschaine had "been drinking all day (Sunday) since 2 p.m." According Deschaine's Facebook page, he set off for a boating trip with friends Sunday afternoon.

"We did a citywide canvass and we searched the Inner Harbor area and had our marine and helicopter unit out," Guglielmi said. "We were able to find him today two boat slips down from where he was reported missing."

Guglielmi said it's unclear whether Deschaine fell off the boat or the dock. And although his friends reported that he was last seen at 10:30 p.m. Sunday, Guglielmi cautioned "he could have been running around (somewhere else) till 5 a.m. and then fell into the water."

"We are obviously still investigating but so far, we have no evidence of foul play," Guglielmi said. "It looks like you just have to be careful when you are around the water."

Earlier: D.C. Council Aide Dead in Apparent Drowning

--Tim Craig

By Tim Craig  |  July 14, 2009; 12:22 PM ET
Categories:  Tim Craig
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Aide to Jack Evans Found Dead in Baltimore
Next: Graham Proposes 'Barack Hussein Obama Park'

Comments

Desi truly had a heart of gold and was always a pleasure to be around. We are all heartbroken this afternoon.

Posted by: jeffhops | July 14, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Desi was such a wonderful energetic young young man. He was adorable and always brought a smile to my face. His enthuasm and joy in regard to all things political was truly infectious. I so enjoyed working with him on the Linda Cropp campaign and in the Gertrude Stein Democratic Club. What a loss for our community and all those who loved him. My heart goes out to his parents and family and all those whose lives he touched.

Desi Desi....we hardly knew ya...

Posted by: richardmaulsby | July 14, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I remember Desi from many Ward 1 community meetings I attended from 5 years ago. I'm amazed to hear that he was only 30, he carried himself in an incredibly professional manner. Knowing him, it seemed that he was destined for a great career in politics and for the good of the city. This is quite a loss.

Posted by: dduane | July 14, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Desi was one of the brightest lights this earth has ever seen. I am so saddend by his passing but now encouraged to do more for this city in his name. To Linda, and Phil and Desiree, I can only tell you how much Desi touched me and my heart, which is so broken now. May we all cherish the moments he help to brighten, I love you and miss you so much already....gone to soon!

Posted by: bdaneker | July 15, 2009 3:22 AM | Report abuse

The loss of Desi comes as a shock to so many of us. He was always involved in so many projects, events, causes and functions that it was hard to keep up! I think we all lose something anytime such an energetic and bright person leaves our lives. Although I had not been in touch with Desi for many years, I remember his quick-talking bouncing around that made even the most patient person tired! He was unique, special and despite the time and distance, a friend. We will miss him deeply.

Posted by: DarrylChew | July 15, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Let's also take this as a wake-up call regarding the dangers of excessive drinking. The fact is that a group of friends drank so much on that day that a) One of them fell into the water and drowned; and b) the others didn't notice until it was [much] too late. Such a silly way to end what seems to have been such a rich and promising life.

Posted by: IHeartDC | July 16, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse