Mayor Rethinks Recreation Wish List Eviction

There seem to be second thoughts in D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty's administration about evicting Cora Masters Barry and her Recreation Wish List Committee from the Southeast Tennis and Learning Center, the city-run tennis program she founded.

"If Cora Barry gets her corporate papers together, then we will determine if she can play a role in the future plans of the city," said Fenty spokeswoman Erica Stanley early Wednesday.

However, Mafara Hobson, Fenty's director of communications, called a short time later to say that Stanley's comments did not accurately describe the administration's position.

"While we can't comment on leasing or contracting issues, the administration appreciated the contribution and partnership of Cora Masters Barry over the years," Hobson said. "We will work hard to find ways to continue working with her going forward."

The comments from Fenty's camp came one day after tennis champions Serena and Venus Williams made a direct appeal to the mayor in a statement.

Reached by phone, Barry said: "I need to consult with my board to understand what the mayor is saying."

On Monday, A. Scott Bolden, attorney for the Recreation Wish List, filed papers to reestablish the organization as a registered D.C. corporation.

Last Friday, D.C. police officers served Barry papers giving her 30 days to vacate because, according to Attorney General Peter Nickles, her group, which has raised more than $2 million for programs at the center, had their D.C. corporation registration revoked before entering into a partnership with the city.

-- Hamil R. Harris

By Washington Post Editors  |  August 19, 2009; 11:43 AM ET
Categories:  City Life , Hamil R. Harris , Mayor Fenty  | Tags: Cora Masters Barry, Recreation Wish List
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Southeast Tennis Program Tries to Avert Eviction
Next: WTU's Parker: Trust But Don't Amplify

Comments

Stinks from the top. Someone wanted this property and Peter Nickles is hell bent on giving it to them.

Posted by: SocaJam | August 19, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

D.C. United's new stadium?

Posted by: bs2004 | August 19, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Cora Masters is a racist.

Posted by: shocked1 | August 19, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Former first lady Cora Masters Barry, certainly paid her dues to District's citizens beyond what most of us have done.
She deserves serious consideration to continue her good work for the less fortunate children in the city. The administrative oversight was obviously a wakeup call to her, and I doubt if it will ever happen again.

Posted by: Darlene_Dancy | August 19, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Cora is as corrupted as her former husband. All the Barry's dirt is coming up. I wonder what businesses she is doing with an expired license...how did she pay any taxes...or not..? I am sure more is to come.

Posted by: richelleh1965 | August 19, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I have a friend who teaches at this facility. He is an excellent tennis player and instructor. I would hate to see this establishment close down, especially after all the good work, I believe, this facility has done for the people in that community. I am going to reach out to my friend to see if there is anything I can do to help. It's time that we start thinking about the children and the communities instead of big development, if this happens to be the case. DC should have learned from the Nationals baseball stadium.

Posted by: UNKNOWN13 | August 20, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

SETLC hasn't produce anything. I worked there but left because the quality of the tennis instrution was poor and I wanted to be mentored by quality people. SETLC is a great facility but has been underutilized for years. I am glad the city is getting it back.

Posted by: henry2342 | August 22, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse