Peaceoholics's Moten Testifies for Counselor at Sex Assault Trial

Peaceoholics co-founder Ron Moten took the stand Tuesday to defend Barry Harrison, a Peaceoholics counselor accused of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old student.

He's also defending former board member Linda K. Harllee-Harper who now works at the Department of Youth Rehabilitation Services.

Peaceoholics has been criticized for getting no-bid contracts, particularly through DYRS. Council member Tommy Wells (D-Ward 6), chairman of the Committee on Human Services, nixed one such agreement earlier this year.

Reggie Sanders, spokesman for DYRS, said he did not know whether Harllee-Harper is in a decision-making position when it comes to Peaceoholics' contracts.

But he and Moten and said there's no conflict of interest. They both said Harllee-Harper resigned when she took the job as a program manager in 2007. Sanders said she submitted the resignation letter as proof.

-- Nikita Stewart

By Christopher Dean Hopkins  |  September 2, 2009; 10:08 AM ET
Categories:  Nikita Stewart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Special Ed Kids Miss The Bus
Next: D.C. Archbishop Goes on the Offensive on Gay Marriage

Comments

Between today's WP editorial and this, it must be "joke day". What on earth could a peaceaholic felon involved in a current scandal regarding city property going to another country have to say about another peaceaholic felon currently on trial for a sexual assault? I know everyone's innocent until proven guilty, but the visual of it all is just crazy!!! And the beat goes on.........

Posted by: candycane1 | September 2, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry I wouldn't even want him testifying for me. I've seen the video of when he was deposed in the fire truck scandal and the way he carried himself was more than enough for me to NEVER want him to speak on my behalf.

Posted by: boo2 | September 2, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

This is rediculous! I am still in shock that DCPS ALLOWS them to enter the school grounds, let alone interact with the students. All this shows the kids is I can do drugs, sell drugs and even KILL TWO PEOPLE if I want and still get a good job. How is this a deterrent? I'm no councilor but I KNOW the one thing you don't do to young people is show them how you did something wrong and got away with it (or got a slap on the hand like the murderer did) but then turn around and tell them not to do it. Duh!!! WHY is he even out of jail after killing two people. THAT is another problem. This is unbelievable all around. Moten ought to be ashamed of himself. But then again, I know right now he is in "save his million dollars contracts" mode so he isn't thinking of the damage and harm that he is doing to a teenaged girl. The fact that this guy killed not one but TWO people, and you THINK he is ok to put in a school shows me that everyone from Fenty to Rhee to Moten needs to be evicted from having any decision making abilities over the children AND the schools. What the heck are you all thinking about? I mean really. My advise is for all parents who have children in DCPS to file a lawsuit against Rhee and Fenty (personally: make then pay out their pocket) for endagering a minor. They are putting these kids in harms way and need to be held accountable before something bad really happens. My hope is that this girl is telling an untruth, for her sake. But the fact that DCPS put her in a situation in which the person that she is accusing has killed twice and been arrested for other offenses is the real kicker. WHAT was he even doing there? Scandalous!

Posted by: centsmytwo | September 3, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

It is the parents fault that they would allow their Mayor to supersede the law by allowing ex-felons (drug dealers and murders) presence in their local public schools. This is what happens with voter apathy, your politicians treat you like children.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | September 3, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't know the details of this incident, nor of Ron Moten's pst. But what I do know is how a Peaceoholic mentor has helped my godson after his release from Oak Hill. Without the steady and calming presence of his mentor my godson would have been locked up again, no question about it. From my perspective, the Peaceoholics are doing a good job.

Posted by: DCdoozy | September 3, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Whatever happened to Bridget and her partner, Brooks? The two of them covered DCPS without the luxuary of having a million dollar contract.

They mediated rival groups, visited homes and neighborhoods - they even wrote a book that identified all the gangs and crews in the city.

The two of them worked closely with MPD and school officials. Their rapport with the students was wonderful. The students respected them and trusted them.

One of them had a teenager that was an honor roll student in DCPS.

Posted by: shank2sb | September 4, 2009 1:49 AM | Report abuse

First and for most not only do ex-cons work for the Peaceoholics. There is four college students who works for the Peaceoholics and fifteen current freshmans in college all over. I was a student at Anacostia Senior High School from 2000-2004 I am a current graduate from Trinity University with a Criminal Justice degree. My current co-workers are gradautes from George Washington, Robert Morris, and Shaw University. I have been around this organizations for six years, and it makes me sick to my stomach to hear and see all the negative comments you guys posted. I bet none of you all was in the court room all week and witness all the information that was deliver. Phones calls was made to Mr. Barry phone from the young ladies, inquring help. Also when was yall when the ladies told another adult. Like all youth do when they dont have the family help. They was seting the old man up to get rob.I never saw or heard none of these people that posted comments. Around or near a youth who has been murder, or involved in gang violence before. Where are yall when brothers, and sisters need food, to eat or, uniforms for schools. Where are yall I never heard of you but the Peaceoholics are first on deck. At every fight, shooting, community event, funeral, school, and crisis that these young people go through trust me I am a product of my environment. So what Moe or Mr. Barry made bad choices. In there past trust me I bet you people do every day. You cant say you didnt cause you have all ready by posting your negative comments. On men, and women who have helped in some form of way this country. These guys and let me be specific Ronald Moten, and Jauhar Abraham was there for me when my mother wasnt. I have five brothers who they both help feed every night. When I cried and called them telling them I am in the house with no water, and food. This Organization is the best and you people are SICK. All these people who posted negative comments. Why did yall hide your email user ID present yourself. Real men and women who calls themselves citizens dont hide there identity.

Posted by: sharellkyle | September 4, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Sharellkyle, cry me a river. The problem with African American's in the the most depressed neighborhoods in the city is this "Entitlement" mentality. They expect to be praised or rewarded for doing what they should be doing in the first place. Like going to school and getting "A's". Like not doing drugs. Like not robbing and killing each other. Like learning how to formulate a sentence without the use of profanity. Ladies behaving like ladies as opposed to Lil' Kim wannabes. Like men not sexually assaulting women. Like not disrespecting teachers.

You can call it what you like, but parents should have the first and last word on whether they want ex-felons interacting with their children in a public school setting. Not only that, it is illegal in the District of Columbia.

Ron Moten is his own worst enemy. Every time he opens his mouth something silly spills out or he brandishes this misplaced arrogance that would turn any audience off. He recently allowed himself to be used by the Mayor and Sinclair Skinner in that illegal transfer of public equipment to a foreign nation. Ron doesn't even have a passport, why would he allow his organization to be the vessel for this transfer. He lied and lied in a way that was very easy to uncover. He made a complete fool of himself before Councilwoman Cheh.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | September 5, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY THAT WE KNOW THAT WE HAVE A LOT OF UNHAPPY PEOPLE IN THE WORLD. BUT JUST BECAUSE U R UNHAPPY DOES NOT GAIN U ENTRANCE TO MAKE ANOTHER HUMANS
LIFE MISERABLE.JUST FOR CLARIFICATION NOT ALL THAT R EMPLOYED BY PEACEOHOLICS R EX CONS.MY BROTHER IS EMPLOED BY THEM AND HAS MADE A DRASTIC CHANGE IN THE LIVES OF SOME
OF THE TROUBLED YOUTH. HE HAS AT TIMES NOT
ATTENDED FAMILY AFFAIRS ALSO QUALITY TIME
THAT WAS RESERVED FOR HIS OWN SON HAS BEEN
DELAYED TO HELP YOUTHS ASSIGNED TO HIM NOW
THAT SHOWS HE HAS A STRONG AND DEVOTIONAL
LOVE FOR HIS JOB. MY BRO ATTENDED MONGOMERY
COLLEGE HAS NEVER BEEN INCARCERATED AND IS
A FAMILY MAN AND A CARING MAN.WE ALL KNOW
NEGATIVITY SELLS.BUT BELIEVE IT OR NOT WE
DO HAVE CIVILIZED INDIVIDUALS WHO LIKE TO
HEAR ABOUT THE POSITIVES IN LIFE ALSO.

Posted by: kimcarter93 | September 7, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

The Peaceoholics have done great things within the community. Ok, so there is one that has ran into a problem. However, I'm a believer that troubled teens could benefit from ex-offenders, because they have suffred the consequences for their actions. Pointing fingers, because their an ex-offender doesn't help any situation. You have predators yes, but mostly these kids are grown and just scheme hard. We really don't know. I pray for all parties in this situation. And to the Peaceoholics, keep your head up. Because your good works will not go in vain. Keep going. Parents need to be more accountable period and raise these kids instead of hanging with the children's friends allowing anything to go. I've seen too much of it in the DMV. It takes a village to raise a child. It starts with us. The Parents. If he kissed her and lured her. It doesn't sound by force.

Posted by: blessedrite | September 8, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse