A year ahead of election, Fenty stumps in Ward 7

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D), who is up for re-election in less than a year, hit Ward 7 Monday evening.

Fenty, who made a name for himself by knocking on doors and literally wearing a hole in his shoe in his first mayoral bid in 2006, is again going door-to-door.

He was spotted in Precinct 106, which had 33 percent voter turnout in the 2006 primary.

On Tuesday night, he is scheduled to speak to the Fort Davis Civic Association, which represents the neighborhood in Ward 7.

-- Nikita Stewart

By Christopher Dean Hopkins  |  October 19, 2009; 7:05 PM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election , Mayor Fenty , Nikita Stewart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Graham gives up taxicab industry oversight
Next: Unemployment rate rises again in the District

Comments

Ward 7 D.C. voters please don't be fooled by Adrian Malik Fenty. Fenty is a snake and he doesn't care about you. He pimped black D.C. voters for their votes, then he forgot about them once he start to hang out with white wealthy developers.

Adrian M. Fenty is now a corrupt politician and liar like most elected to public office. Ward 4 Councilmember Muriel Bowser is a Fenty puppet and she will do whatever your Majesty Fenty tells her to do. I never voted for Fenty as mayor and I didn't vote for Muriel Bowser for the Ward 4 Councilmember.

Adrian Fenty fooled everyone with his phony populism and everyone thought he was Mr. Nice Guy, man of the people. I knew he was a disaster, when in the first debate at UDC he was unable to name the three credit rating agencies! Let's get with it people, when are we as voters going to start electing politicians for their intellectual capabilities and not because they make us feel good? Good on all of you DC residents who voted for Mr. Clean, now the city will once again go down the drain under his leadership...I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Posted by: KappaNupe | October 19, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

I doubt very seriously that he was received well in ward 7. He would be hard pressed to to be received in his own ward.

Posted by: candycane1 | October 20, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Ward 7, please show up at Fort Davis! Don't listen to him we all know HE LIES! Just boo him as he enters, speaks and as he leaves. Run him out of there!

Posted by: candycane1 | October 20, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

candycane is such a grownup.
Fenty is received well in many parts of Ward 7. He is accomplishing visible things for us and when we point out logical things (not whining at him like candy's crew...or is that gang?), he moves ahead and produces concrete results.

Posted by: streff | October 20, 2009 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Streff, any progress you see is as a result of teeth pulling by Yvette Alexander. She works for the Ward when the media is NOT there. I ask you to ask HER how much assistance she received from the Mayor's office. Adrian has divided the executive and legislative. An unhealthy state of affairs that harms democracy in this city.

I am sure he is meeting plenty of slammed doors.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | October 20, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Fenty has taken us back to two Washingtons. The haves and havenots. The city is no longer a city of the people but of Fenty.

From 400 million to 80 million to local businesses, a devisive school reform enviroment that has gone on much too long (his callin card), unemployment above the national average, faked the gay community out and now a HIV funding scandal with DOH (which he has already blamed the Williams Administration). And now word that he plans to move Dept of Rec. under the convention center like the sports and entertainment comission (losing the dept of Rec director fight was never his concern, all smoking mirrors). He continues to hire folk with no ties to the community. Our white brothers and sisters do not want a devisive community. But that is what he has created. And an attorney general who is tuning out to be more of a Dick Cheney than an attorney for the people. No transparency in government. What will we find behind this opaque form of government.

And worst, he has destroyed our democracy where people are afraid to speak out from fear of being destroyed. Follow the money!

Posted by: gordonbundy | October 20, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Streff you are not the voice of Ward 7, nor do you represent the majority view. Fenty has a snowball's chance in hell of winning Ward 7 and he knows it. He also knows that he cannot win reelection without Ward 7.
As far as Alexander is concerned, she doesn't do anything that Grey doesn't tell her to.

Posted by: duonoir | October 20, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Streff, being "such a grown-up, I can tell you that you are probably the least politically astute person to post here ever! To make such a comment regarding how Fenty is perceived in this city is an indication that (a) you don't live in DC and have no clue about the political climate in this city, (b) you do live in this city and have no clue, which is worse, (c) you are a Fenty flunky, crony, friend or Fenty something and whatever that something is, being attached to Fenty is not healthy for the mind or the soul.

Did you really think that you were being insulting by referring to others as "candy's crew or gang"? How unfortunate. So let me correct you. There are people who post here that share my same ideas as well as those who don't. Sometimes we agree and sometimes we don't. However, they bring their research and knowledge based opinions and experiences which also includes insightful observations. Unlike you, they are politically astute. They are citizens that are concerned about how foolishly our government now operates, how taxpayer dollars are being squandered, how our school system has experienced further decline as well as other city services that are not being realized although we pay for them. So to try to pigeon hole a group of people that I find to be smart, whose opinions I repsect and whose insight is quite informative, is also an indication that you are out of your league and the topics we discuss are way over your head. Is that "grown up" enough for you?

Posted by: candycane1 | October 20, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Go get 'em, Candycane,

If there were a Candy's Crew, I'd be a member.

Posted by: efavorite | October 20, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

All of us were fooled once by Mayor Fenty's "door to door" tactic in 2006. This year I think that most DC residents know the mayor. If he truly cared about the District he would be "working" for us and perhaps more impotant "listening" to us.
The only way we can let him know how we feel is to cast a vote against him in 2010.

Posted by: DCWatcher3 | October 20, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I knew he was a phony when he was on the city council. If he is he democratic nominee, then I will vote Republican.

Posted by: prichardson1 | October 20, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Ditto on the Candy Crew
He is only there for the Rec. Center improvements. Young men are still breaking in and robbing residents at will in the Ft Davis area and let's not forget the war zone in northern half of the Ward. Ward 7 residents have become far too educated to fall for the Okie Dok. He's got minute or no support in W7

Go get 'em, Candycane,
If there were a Candy's Crew, I'd be a member.

Posted by: jmanthom | October 20, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I am sure the Mayor is using a police detail this time. I am going to oil up the hinges of my door so that there is no question in his mind how my household feels about him when hears that deafening slam.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | October 20, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

That was funny...because as I was driving down East Capitol...I saw Kwame Brown's signs and was saying "absolutely not" then I saw a Fenty...and said "that's a new looking sign" So, it confirm my suspicions that he was in Ward 7. Hey, Ward 7 Residents...there's been issues that were more severe when Tony Williams was Mayor and you all gave him at least two-bites at the apple.

Posted by: PowerandPride | October 20, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Streff, I agree with Candycane1. You must be a Fenty flunky. I am a native Washingtonian born in the old Freedmans Hospital. I attended both Howard and Georgetown Universities. I am a former 4A ANC Commissioner and a member of the Fourth District's Citizen Advisory, 16th Street Heights Civic Association. I know Adrian Malik Fenty personally. He's not the same humble guy I meant 10 years ago running against former Ward 4 Councilwoman Charlene Drew Jarvis. Fenty has turned into a monster showing most of us whom he really is. Adrian only care about Adrian Fenty. I have never heard Adrian acknowledge publicly, he's a black man. Has anyone ever heard him say he's black? Fenty want to be labeled anything other than black. He's in bed with white wealthy developers. All the bad Karma coming Adrian Fenty's way, he will deserve it. I will never cast a vote for Fenty in this life. Adrian Fenty has lost many supporters on his home turf in Ward 4. Many of my neighbors hate Fenty.

Posted by: Ward4DC | October 20, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

PowerandPride, Anthony Williams was fiscally and academically competent. Anthony Williams never stole money from an old man's estate while serving at its trustee. Mayors don't DESERVE two terms. They EARN the right.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | October 20, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Thanks a million Candycane!!!

Posted by: merrimac238 | October 20, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Fenty is Not Wanted! He needs to get the stepping!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: PRIDE-INC | October 20, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

The "Jesus Saves" bus owned by First Rock Baptist Church was the Mayor's mode of transportation throughout precinct 106. What a joke! Can you believe it? The scriptures tell us to beware of false prophets (1 John 4:1). Ward 7 residents are not stupid nor are they fooled by this man's "I need your vote agenda".

Streff ask the Mayor how many residents were in their homes, but did not open their doors once they realized he and his "men-in-black crew" had landed at their doors. Ask him how any residents in Ward 7 were in their yards, but did not invite him in beyond their gates. Ask him how many signs they put on vacant properties. Ask him how many residents invited him into their homes, but soon had him squirmming from their questions and statements of dissatisfaction with him and his commitment to Ward 7 residents.

Councilmember Alexander has given her time and commitment to Ward 7 residents with or without the support of this Mayor. There are many educators, past and present, that reside in Ward 7. I don't believe anyone in the ward is satisfied with his and Ms. Rhee's management of the schools or the treatment of their children's teachers. That was a major deterrent for him as he tried to win the hearts of Ward 7 residents.

The bottom line, Ward 7 does not care for him and wishes he would go away. Satan has no place in Ward 7. Their are many belivers in Ward 7, including the Councilmember. Many of the residents are active in the affairs of the Ward; thereby, posing a major threat for this Mayor's Ward 7 voting precentages in next year's election. They, the residents of Ward 7 know what time it is and who they won't be voting for this time around.

Like kappanupe, I did not vote for this con man either. So, I too would like to say to streff and his crew, I TOLD YOU SO! Candycane1 please sign me up as a crew member. Proud to be one!

Posted by: shank2sb | October 20, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

How dumb can Fenty be to play on the intellect of us in Ward 7, very dumb! I will definately be in attendance at this meeting along with all of those who have lost their jobs due to his termination of the Dept. of Recreation's child care programs, which contributes to the high unemployment rate. PEOPLE COME OUT AND SHOW HIM JUST HOW INTELLIGENT WE REALLY ARE, WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE, YET MUCH TO GAIN!

Posted by: denisebenn | October 20, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it unlawful for non-profits (churches) to be involved in political activities. i.e. transporting the Mayor throughout the ward to knock on doors campaigning? Is the church trying to say that they want to loose their non-profit status and start paying taxes like other businesses?

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | October 20, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Leave Mackin Man alone. He down with O.P.P....

Posted by: mlombre69 | October 20, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Candycane, I would agree with you on most things. Sign me up too! Perhaps people will soon be able to see what Fenty is about: himself. This city is being turned into a developer's paradise. In my opinion he is an elitist wanna be who can't make it without the developer's money. He has changed so dramatically since he became mayor. And point of record: if he cared so much about schools, where was he during the time he occupied space on the Council? Where was the caring then? Where was the passion? Where was the dedication? Where were the, albeit poorly enunciated, speeches? Where was the commitment?

Ward 7, don't be fooled by that person. He is only courting you because your ward is dense with voters. He only cares about his fundraisers who throw him parties and such.

Last, just out of curiosity, what has Fenty done for anyone outside of Wards 3 and 4? The way it appears, Wards 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 only matter to him for votes.

Posted by: southyrndiva | October 20, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling that Fenty going door to door on foot is going to end real soon. His bigger than life ego prevents him from understanding that he is going to encounter many pissed off people! He will see the light soon.

Posted by: letsbereal2 | October 20, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Good thing the posters here are not the voice of DC at the voting booth. Here I hear the voice of the whining crew loud and clear, but that is about it.

As I stated before, this mayor is providing concrete results that my community members see. Some of these things have been held up for years. But most systemic change takes time. Barry and the generations of "workers" he helped install who waste our tax dollars every hour of every day need to be weeded out of the system. Unfortunately this can't be done as fast enough.

I look at the school system and see what the likes of candycane advocate for, adults. SHAME. I look at the sad shape of the city and see the failures that need to be worked on. Blaming past failures on the current administration makes no sense.

Fenty has taken some bad steps, but he is on the right path. Is he full of himself? Arrogant? Sure. He is a politician after all. Does it take someone who steps on toes to get things done in this city? Someone who pisses off a few of the road blockers? YES. Crews of whiners and people like candycane who think their way is the best and that elected officials need to run everything by them before making any decisions are going to get their toes stepped on and complain.

I'm tired of it and want to see my city move forward.

Posted by: streff | October 20, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Streff,

Don't fool yourself,the sentiments here will be echoed by the masses at the voting booths in 2010!

There is “a fire in the minds of men” that will erupt at the polls and purge this city of Fenty and his mindless janissaries FOR GOOD!

Posted by: dcnatives | October 21, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

southyrndiva, you forgot the poor voters in Ward 8.

Streff, are you sure you are not Adrian Malik Fenty? You are kissing his behind might hard. Fenty is a monster and an arrogant SOB. He has lost support from senior citizen and other voters here in Ward 4. Adrian might be popular with liberal whites and white gays, but he has pimped black voters and now he has turned his back on us.

Has anyone ever heard Adrian Malik Fenty say publicly, he's a black man or have you heard him discuss the black community? No, because Fenty don't identify with being black. At a Christmas function last year with some wealthy Moroccans, Fenty's father stated, his grandfather was Moroccan. This would make Fenty a Middle Eastern.

At a mayoral debate I attended at the Carlos Rosario School in Ward 1 with Fenty, Cropp, Brown, Orange, and the woman from Verizon, Fenty got up on stage and spoke one or two words of Spanish. He told the mostly Hispanic audience, his grandfather came from Panama. I am confused, is his grandfather from Morocco or Panama? The majority of Hispanics in D.C. are from El Salvador/Central American and most are illegal aliens or non-citizens. As the former Ward 4 Councilmember, Fenty wanted to give voting rights to non-citizens in the District of Columbia. Fortunately black voters flooded the D.C. Council offices in protest of this proposed legislation by Fenty and co-sponsors Ward 1 Jim Graham and former At-Large D.C. Councilmember Harold Brazil. Black U.S. citizens fought hard for their right to vote and liberal left wing Adrian Fenty want to give this right to non-citizens. D.C. voters need to wake up as KappaNupe stated. King Fenty has betrayed the citizenry with his dictatorship style of government along with his side kick Grandpa Munster Peter Nickles. As a native Washingtonian born in the old Freedmans Hospital in 1955, Fenty con me into believing he was a man of the people. Most of you don't know or remember the old Freedmans Hospital, because you are not from D.C. or know it's local history. I have been a registered D.C. voter since 1975 and I have voted in every election. Can you say this Streff aka Fenty lover? Karma is a B and Fenty's will bring him all the bad luck coming his way for the way he's walked over and mistreated people. All politicians are liars and are corrupt. Adrian Fenty is both!

Registered Ward 4 Voter

Posted by: Ward4DC | October 21, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Ward 5 voter here, haven't seen a green sign in my neighborhood yet!!!

We're not fooled.

I'm guessing Stref is his next door neighbor, or maybe your kids go to the same school, or maybe you received some kind of no-bid contract... clearly you dont live in my world. I honestly cant think of one good reason I would vote for Fenty. Not one!

Posted by: boo2 | October 21, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey streff, I repeat, 1 John 4:1. Read it and absorb it.

You agreed that he was arrogant and full of himself. Well, I have many more for that too:
Ephesians 2:8-10; Proverbs 21:4; Proverbs 26:12; Proverbs 13:10; Proverbs 29:23; First Corinthians 1:31

And how about this streff. "The wonderful thing about cockiness is that it can be overcome by a little maturity."

Posted by: shank2sb | October 21, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

shank2sb: AND LET THE CHURCH SAY AMEN! Streff got badly needed attention, advice and spiritual guidance. I think we have been quite generous to a poster who refers to us as crews, gangs and whiners.

Posted by: candycane1 | October 21, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Streff read the following and absorb what the scriptures are saying to you:
1 Corinthians 1:31; Proverbs 26:12; Proverbs 16:18-19; Proverbs 13:10; and Ephesians 2:8-10. Pay close attention to 1 John 4:1.

Your Mayor was spotted on the "Jesus Saves" bus while campaigning in Ward 7. Surely he would want you to know these scriptures as you speak of his good work and treatment of the citizens in this city.

Oh streff, one more thing. "The wonderful thing about cockiness is that it can be overcome by a little maturity." - Delton Trueblood. Pass this on to your Mayor.

Posted by: shank2sb | October 21, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Shank2sb, I've been told, Mayor Adrian M. Fenty is an Atheist and don't beleive in God. He doesn't have a church home, but he will pimp the black D.C. churches in 2010 to get votes. I just got off the telephone with a friend and I was told at a meeting on tonight in Takoma D.C., Fenty was not spoken well of by these Ward 4 residents. Many Ward 4 voters dislike King Fenty and his puppet Ward 4 Councilwoman Muriel Bowser.

Posted by: Ward4DC | October 22, 2009 1:49 AM | Report abuse

CANDYCANE1 FOR MAYOR!!! Lol

You and efavorite are my favorite posters so yes.. please initiate me too as one of your "gang". Lol

Now, on to more serious matters, I am deeply offended with Fenty riding around in a church bus NOW! Has anyone EVER seen him at a church (outside of posing for the camera at funerals) when it wasn't campaign time? Has he EVER... just ONCE, visited your church while Mayor?

I can get over the fact that he is a non-believer. To each his own. But now he is exploiting the church ONCE AGAIN and I am offended. Pastors, Ministers, Bishops, Rabbis...
CHURCH LEADERS!!!! DO NOT ALLOW HIM TO DO THIS! If he is an atheist, let him be one but certainly don't let him use you, your church family or your facilities to try and win an election. That is lower than low and the highest form of disrespect! The next time he steps foot in a church, it needs to be to admit his sins and get saved!

Posted by: my2centsis | October 22, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Ward4DC: I am aware of what has been said about your Mayor and his not having a church home or being a believer of any faith. However, he and streff are invited to redeem themselves for thinking that all is well with the voters in this city, especially Ward 7.

Thanks for the comment. Don't hate, just pray that someone will be called to give us a reason to vote and rid ourselves of this man and those that are like him.

Posted by: shank2sb | October 22, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

shank2sb, amen to your comment. Let go and let God take control. Karma is a B sometimes and all the bad Karma coming Adrian's way, he will truly deserve it. When he ignored 97 year old civil rights advocate Dr. Dorothy Height and Maya Angelou was the last straw for me. Adrian Malik Fenty is an arrogant SOB. Fenty has angered multimillionaire R. Donahue "Don" Peebles. I am not a supporter of Vincent Gray running to replace Fenty. Vincent Gray has turned out to be a big disappointment. He's spineless and he doesn't have the experience to run the Council of the District of Columbia like the former Chairperson Linda W. Cropp. If Ward 4 D.C. Councilmember Jack Evans run for the Council Chair, we will be in serious trouble. D.C. Councilmember Jack Evans supports big business/developers and he's in bed with them financially to fatten his wallet. I am not interested in D.C. At-Large Councilmembers Kwame Brown or Michael Brown running for mayor. I will do anything to get Fenty's behind out of office. Adrian has turned in a monster and dictator. His closing of the D.C. Department of Mental Health and privatizing it out to private providers was another negative point against him. Look at how the private providers didn't provide to AIDS/SIDA consumers in the District of Columbia. I hope there's a special place in Satan's house for Adrian Fenty. Many voters in Ward 4 and around the city are sick of Mayor Adrian M. Fenty. Fenty has divided the District of Columbia.

Posted by: Ward4DC | October 22, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Correction:

If WARD 2 D.C. Councilmember Jack Evans run for the Council Chair, we will be in serious trouble. D.C. Councilmember Jack Evans supports big business/developers and he's in bed with them financially to fatten his wallet.

Posted by: Ward4DC | October 22, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Attached is a comment made on the Fourth District's list serve on today. Many Ward 4 voters are not happy with King Adrian M. Fenty and his puppett Ward 4 D.C. Councilmember Muriel Bowser.

Shooting

I hate to say this but how can we expect crime to decrease or change? We have
seen this pattern all over Ward 4. It was a problem around Kennedy and
Longfellow. People kept asking for something to be done. When a shooting makes
the news, then we will address this issue. Please search the messages and you
will find a large number of citizens pleading for help. Now, it's the Safeway
shooting. I have recently read numerous requests about shootings at all times
of the day close to this area. The citizens once again were asking for
assistance. If we do a search of the list serve messages, I'm sure we can find
at least five incidents. However, Safeway made the news and now it's a
priority. The other incidents didn't make the news.

The District of Columbia's systems are so dysfunctional. I don't expect a
change. I have been trying for three years to get a SIMPLE speed bump on my
street. I have spoken to numerous people (Judi Gold and Brandon Todd) in Muriel
Bowser's office and sent messages and called Joseph Martin's office. Guess
what? No one knows anything or no one responds. They don't know the process or
where the second application is in the process because the first one was lost.
If we can't get a process of getting a simple speed bump installed on a street
right, how are we going to address the bigger, more complex issues? I vote in
every election. However, so many other residents don't. The local elections
are just as important as the national elections. The local elections impact
your day to day strategy, city services, and living conditions. We have to vote
so that the people in office represent our interests as a community. They may
be vast and different. However, we ALL want to be safe and have other
commonalities!!

I will continue to vote in EVERY election. However, I find this entire
situation unacceptable. People should be held accountable. Either you do your
job or you don't. If you don't, there is always someone else qualified and
willing to do your job regardless of if the spotlight is on them or not.

Have a great day.
Keisha

Posted by: Ward4DC | October 22, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I want to be a member of CandyCane's crew/gang too. Mama proud of you baby!!! :-)

Posted by: fiftysumptin | October 22, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

From Streff: I'm tired of it and want to see my city move forward.

Your city?!!! you probably haven't lived here more than 5 years if that long!! carpetbagger!!!!

Posted by: fiftysumptin | October 22, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Where is the First Lady of the District of Columbia? Has anyone seen or heard from Michelle Fenty, the mayor's wife? She has been very invisible during tenure as mayor. Something is not right with this marriage. There's a rumor going around, the mayor and his wife are separated.

Posted by: BrendaMartin | October 23, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

As I see it, Adrian Fenty is the Anti-Christ. Fenty has no regards for most of the citizens in the District of Columbia. He's an Atheist and he don't attend any church, but he will be pimping the black church in 2010 looking for votes. Fenty is not the man of the people. He's a man looking out for himself and his corrupt friends. D.C. voters need to stop blogging and email Fenty directly regarding of your unhappiness with him.

AMF@dc.gov

Posted by: blackomega | October 23, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

YES HE HAS pimped black D.C. voters....

Posted by: dcynnep | October 26, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse