Gas Leak at School Forces Evacuation
A D.C. elementary school was briefly evacuated due to a gas leak Friday, but the gas was quickly shut off while the problem was fixed, a D.C. fire department spokesman said.
Students were evacuated this morning from Thomas Elementary School in Northeast because of a leak in the gas line that runs into the school. Gas service to the school was turned off shortly thereafter, fire department spokesman Pete Piringer said. No one was hurt in the incident, he said.
Students at the school walked to nearby Cesar Chavez Public Charter School, where they had lunch, said D.C. schools spokeswoman Jennifer Calloway. They returned to Thomas Elementary in time for dismissal, and school will proceed normally tomorrow, she said.
Washington Post editors
October 16, 2009; 12:48 PM ET
Save & Share: Previous: City Switches to Greek Firm for Lottery
Next: Nickles: City will investigate waste in AIDS funding
Posted by: southyrndiva | October 16, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.