Nickles: City will investigate waste in AIDS funding

Attorney General Peter J. Nickles said the city will investigate organizations and individuals that may have wasted HIV, AIDS dollars, spurred by a report by The Washington Post.

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty was flanked by Nickles and other city officials a t news conference in response to the Post's 10-month investigation into the funding. Though Fenty said much of the alleged fraud and misspent funds pre-dated his administration, he said the government must be held accountable.

"Blame me as the mayor of the District of Columbia," he said. "We probably did not move fast enough to get at these inexcusable deficiencies."

Nickles said he would look at past and current problems. "Awful easy to talk about fraud and abuse. Much more difficult to do something about," he said. "I'm going to do something about it."

-- Nikita Stewart

By Christopher Dean Hopkins  |  October 19, 2009; 4:35 PM ET
Categories:  Mayor Fenty , Nikita Stewart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gas Leak at School Forces Evacuation
Next: Graham gives up taxicab industry oversight

Comments

This investigation must focus on Jim Graham. He is the master and longest player of the AIDS grift. These folks are his dolt like spawn.

It is doubtful Nickles is the guy for this. The FBI should expand their investigations.

Posted by: JackStar | October 19, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

JackStar, you're so on point. In order for investigations about DC to be honest, and let's face that many are needed, the Department of Justice needs to have full control. We cannot count on ANYONE in the current administration to do a thorough or honest job.

Posted by: southyrndiva | October 19, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Does he think he gets a pass with this started previous to my administration? NOT! When Peter Nickles gets finished with it, everything will be watered down to another "erasure conversation" to get Fenty off the hook.

Posted by: candycane1 | October 20, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Nickles is no investigator, he's a Fenty man. Mayor Fenty for once I would love to hear you take resposibilty.Don't make a backhanded statement like,I'll look into to it even though it pre-dates my taking office.If you truly believe that, then when anything "good" happens that pre-dates your taking office give the credit to the previous mayor. You can't play it both ways. Oh forgive me, I forgot who I was talking to you,that's the only way you play.

Posted by: DCWatcher3 | October 20, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

There was a condition Nickles gave Fenty when coming on board.

"I must be mentioned in the washington post as many times that you are. You agree?

Say yes. Swear on the bible? Oh forgot!"

Posted by: gordonbundy | October 21, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse