D.C. council committee approves same-sex marriage bill

A DC Council Committee voted 4 to 1 this afternoon to send a bill legalizing same-sex marriage to the full council for debate.

Council member Phil Mendelson, chairman of the Committee on Public Safety and Judiciary, said the legislation was "both simple and monumental."

With the committee vote, the full council will take up the bill in early December. It is expected to easily pass.

"We will get this to the mayor and Congress and it will become law," said Council member Jack Evans (D-Ward 2).

Council member Yvette Alexander (D-ward 7) was the only member to vote against the bill in committee.

-- Tim Craig

By Anne Bartlett  |  November 10, 2009; 2:02 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. Council , Tim Craig , same-sex marriage
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A mayor on the go, uh-oh!!!
Next: Fenty, council members meet on Hartsock

Comments

Posted by: crzytwnman | November 10, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

yay :-)

Posted by: anon82 | November 10, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: xfactor211 | November 10, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Gay marriage now! Equal rights now! Denounce ignorance, bigotry, inequality, and hatred!

Posted by: kcflood | November 10, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

What is this world coming to!!!!! My family and i will not vote for anyone that vote on this bill. We need to vote in 2010 this is the time to vote them out....

Posted by: dcynnep | November 10, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

This is a great day.

And to all those who wish to deny their fellow citizens the rights they themselves take for granted, all I can say is homophobia is a choice. People are not born homophobes, they are recruited by other homophobes. The tone of the anti-gay comments on these pages is a testament to the hollowness of the homophobic message.

Posted by: bgreen | November 10, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Praise Jesus, gay marriage will be here soon. Thank God there are people will equal and loving minds, unlike some of the hateful people who leave comments here. Christians have no right spreading such hate.

Posted by: kcflood | November 10, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

xfactor211 wrote: "Congratulations. If abnormal people need this to feel normal, then so be it. How messed up must their minds must be."

Well, first, thanks for the congratulations!

I must say, though, that the rest of your comment doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. My partner of many years and I aren't looking to feel "normal." Why would anyone care about feeling "normal?" I don't even know what that means, frankly.

What we want it to sign a legally-binding marriage contract to protect the most important relationship in our lives. Our lives are completely interdependent-- shared house, mortgage, bank accounts, bills, medical and financial decisions.

Yet the law treats us as legal strangers to one another.

Sorry. That's just stupid.

Once we sign a legally-binding marriage contract, you and everyone else can continue to go about your business.

We, however, will have legal protection. Does it matter whether we feel "normal" or not?

Nope. Not as long as we get to protect what we care about.

Take care.

Posted by: ricklinguist | November 10, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I was born heterosexual. There was no conscious choice, it is just the way I am--the way I am happy.

I don't think people should be treated differently just because they were born different from me.

You don't have to like someone to believe they deserve equal treatment. To paraphrase...I disapprove of what you are, but I will defend to the death your right to be it. THAT'S AMERICAN.

I don't disapprove, but I will defend.

Posted by: zennmonkey | November 10, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

If being gay is a choice, I'd like to know when some of these posters here decided to become religious zealot bigots. I mean, they are the one that believe in some mystery God, read a book that has no anwers. I'm glad they passed this, and some posters are right, we need to vote out Alexander because she obviously does not believe in equality for all DC residents.

Posted by: Aimhigh2000 | November 10, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Homophobia is intolerance which brings no benefit. The Washington, D.C. City Council has done good by advancing that very important bill to the full Council. Same-sex marriage is a very important right which must be availible to all LGBT people in every state of the United States. Opression against LGBT rights is ugly as heck while equality for the LGBT community is necessary and beautiful.

Posted by: LibertyForAll | November 10, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

It's such a shame that a law needs to be passed in order for certain members of our population to be treated as human.

Posted by: BEWoolner1 | November 11, 2009 5:40 AM | Report abuse

yvette alexander i salute you..

Posted by: bongtatay | November 11, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Councilmember Alexander has what every real believer in the family of believers have, thats respect and understanding of God's Word and the misteries that are associated with it that are only revealed to every believer by the Holy Spirit.

Your family has your back through much prayer and supplication.

Posted by: shank2sb | November 11, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I have had no beef with Yvette until now. I will not be asked to sit at the back of the bus. Look at the company she is keeping with regards to this issue: Marion Barry, 'nuff said.

At least I finally have a little motivation to exercise my limited voting rights as a resident of Ward 7.

Posted by: monongahela79 | November 11, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse