Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Thomas wants to hear from Hartsock

Council member Harry Thomas Jr. opened Thursday's hearing on questionable construction contracts routed through the D.C. Housing Authority by expressing his disappointment that interim parks and recreation director Ximena Hartsock would not be testifying.

He said the council needs to understand what role the Department of Parks and Recreation played in the funneling of millions of dollars in city funds that ended up at the housing authority, an independent agency, to build parks, recreation centers and ball fields. "That piece of the puzzle will be missing today," Thomas said.

Hartsock has been the center of the latest arguments between the council and Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D). The mayor signed an executive order to reappoint her as interim director for 180 days until he can find a replacement after the council rejected her as pick to be the permanent director in a 7 to 5 vote last month.

During Hartsock's council confirmation hearing, witnesses called the interim director names and Council member Marion Barry (D-Ward 8) said she did not understand "black and brown" culture. Hartsock and Attorney General Peter J. Nickles said she was not treated fairly at the hearing.

Thomas also issued a veiled threat Thursday, saying that the council Committee on Libraries, Parks and Recreation will subpoena witnesses if necessary and said a person who does not show up for a hearing could be treated as a "hostile witness."

The council expects, however, to hear from David Gragan, the city's chief procurement officer, and several witnesses from the housing authority Thursday.

By Washington Post Editors  |  November 5, 2009; 10:35 AM ET
 
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Answers to Fifteen Questions for Chancellor Rhee
Next: Thomas issues subpoena for Hartsock

Comments

During the "outlawed Hartsock's" short, six-month tenure at DPR, she illegally funneled over $30 million in taxpayers' dollars to Fenty's frat buddy-Omar Karim of BANNEKER VENTURES.

That's a $5 million a month give-a-way to Fenty's "friends and family plan" at the expense of residents that have a vested interest in the city; and, who are not recent implants--as is the case with Hartsock and her "transition team" of Midwesterners.

Under the leadership of the "outlawed Hartsock," she openly and notoriously terminated most of DPR’s African Americans in MSS positions, that out preformed Hartsock's "transition team" of overpaid, underachievers from DCPS.

Hartsock's unjust, mass firing of experienced, veteran employees was based solely on her veiled racist beliefs that African Americans are only capable cleaning toilets at DPR.

Hartsock, who earns more than any other director in the history of DPR--$165,000 per yr--and her incompetent group of "transition cronies," illegally earning as much as $120,000 per yr. as starting salaries at DPR, have and continue to exploit taxpayers of the District of Columbia.

What the constituents have learned, Hartsock is a legal liability to the District of Columbia, and if the council doesn't demand her and the transition teams' RESIGNATIONS--the feds will come a knocking!

There is definitely, "fire in the minds of men” and residents are fueled with disdain and contempt for Fenty’s dictatorship and the council’s inability to exhort its governing authority!

Posted by: dcnatives | November 5, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Hartsock didnt funneled the funds. Walker Jones and Deenwood projects started many months before Hartsock took charge of the agency. The Global MOU was signed by Clark Ray.

Posted by: sadfothiscity | November 6, 2009 1:34 AM | Report abuse

Sadfothiscity, that's good information to have about the MOU. Did that have anything to do with Fenty getting rid of him? Was he asking too many questions? Or was it because Fenty wasn't allowed to get his son on the team he wanted them on at the Rec?

Posted by: southyrndiva | November 6, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

sadforthiscity,
Absolutely, Ray Clark did sign the MOU for $57 million, but it was Hartsock who increased it —during her six months in office-- from $57 million to what the council believes is now up to $130 million.

Hartsock didn’t funnel $5 million a month to the “Fenty Friends and Family Plan,” but more like $12 million a month!

Thanks for the correction.

Although Hartsock refuses to become a US citizen, while in DC you must do as the natives do and abide by the laws that govern the city. Non-citizenship doesn’t exempt anyone from adhering to local, state or federal laws.

Posted by: dcnatives | November 7, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company