Another poll shows Fenty behind Gray, but ahead of others

Another poll shows Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) trailing Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray (D) in a head-to-head contest.

Lester & Associates was hired by the Greater Washington D.C. Metropolitan Labor Council AFL-CIO to take the pulse of voters.

Forty-three percent of likely voters said they would cast their ballots for Gray while 39 percent said they would vote for Fenty. Another 18 percent were undecided. The survey also asked voters if Fenty "deserves re-election." Only 36 percent agreed.

"That's a pretty deep hole and he's got to dig himself out," said Ron Lester, who heads the polling firm. "When you have numbers like this someone will run against you...There is voter anxiety. These kinds of numbers seem to attract opponents."

The poll of 500 likely and registered voters was conducted Nov. 22-25 and Nov. 28-29, days that included fallout from media inquiries into construction services provided to Gray at his Southeast home by a mega-developer and his use of council stationary to solicit donations to the local Democratic committee.

Gray has said he is considering challenging the mayor.

The poll also pitted Fenty against Council member Kwame R. Brown (D-At Large). In that hypothetical race, Fenty edged out Brown with 42 percent to 40 percent.

And in a contest between Fenty and millionaire developer Don Peebles, who is also considering a bid, Fenty would win hands down with 51 percent to 21 percent.

The union wanted to know all scenarios so Lester also looked at a general election with Fenty and Council member Michael A. Brown (I-At Large) on the ballot. Fenty again edged out his opponent 44 to 37 percent.

Lester polled voters on an at-large race that would pit Council member Phil Mendelson against former parks and recreation chief Clark E. Ray and school board president Carolyn Graham. Mendelson led the pack with 34 percent, followed by Graham and Ray with 15 percent and 10 percent, respectively.

And if potential candidates are wondering what's on the mind of voters: improving education, reducing crime, and improving the economy and creating jobs, in that order, according to the poll.

By Washington Post Editors  |  December 3, 2009; 9:21 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Excerpts: Post reporter answers gay marriage questions
Next: Wilson Kids Headed To UDC

Comments

Good - now maybe Peebles will decide not to run and will put his financial support behind Gray.

Posted by: efavorite | December 3, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

While I have concerns about Chairman Grey, I would support him in a heartbeat over Mayor Fenty in a primary contest. Mayor Fenty has been a terrible mayor -- and I contributed money to his campaign and had his sign on my front lawn. He lied to my face more than once during the primary contest against Linda Cropp about his positions and what he would do as mayor.

Fool me once, shame on you (Mayor Fenty). Fool me twice, shame on me.

Posted by: DCResident22 | December 3, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

This Ward 1 D.C. voter will not be voting for King Adrian Fenty. This guy is a jerk and have turned into a monster. Fenty is not a man of the people. He's a dictator. I hope he ends up like the former mayor of Detroit and the Baltimore mayor.

Posted by: mmatthews1 | December 3, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

The current mayor is a narcissist. He embodies what not to do if mayor of a large city. What little trust he had from constituents are long gone, except for his best buds and the others too asinine to know heads from tails!! I imagine he will be following in the footsteps of the Mayors of Detroit and Baltimore, given more time! He lies with the ease of a flim flam man!

Posted by: aowilk25 | December 3, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

The best thing for Fenty would be that he loses next November. This man is so deeply corrupt, that a second term will likely bring an indictment against him. He should quit now while he's still a free man.

Posted by: TripLBee | December 3, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I really hope someone poles me on one of these, i'll make the margin even larger!!! Get him out of here!!!

Posted by: missboo | December 3, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Old news...anyone with their finger on the paulse of D.C. politics knows that Fenty will be a one term mayor. I don't live in D.C., but having grown up in D.C., I am deep into D.C. politics and have direct access to at least 10 D.C. regular votes as well as the ability to influence many more. In other words, if I say this is who you should vote for, those 10 votes will go to that person--my 10 votes will be directed to Grey no doubt should he decide to run...if not Grey then Kwame Brown should he decide to run. Those same 10 votes went to Fenty in 2006 and I deeply regret it. Fenty and his cronnies, especially Rhee and Cathy treat have no consideration for concerns of D.C. residents. It's their way or the highway...it's that same highway that they will be traveling during the next election--out of office; and you can take that to the bank!

Posted by: Beingsensible | December 3, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

ha! meant Polls... shows where my mind is lol

Posted by: missboo | December 3, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

wait...there are still some people trying to vote for fenty? only fool would.

Posted by: waleariztos | December 3, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm a ward 4 voter and will not support Fenty in 2012. Get rid of him and his crew. We cannot survive another 4 years of rule by Fenty and Nickles.

Posted by: DCJUSTICE | December 3, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

DCJUSTICE, I too am a Ward 4 voter. I will not be voting for King Adrian Malik Fenty. He's an arrogant SOB.

Posted by: Ward4DC | December 3, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

AFL CIO, an anti Fenty union group hired the poll and says that Anti Fenty pro union guys Grey and Mendelson will win? Wow, how biased can a poll be......What a joke

Posted by: gladtoliveindc | December 3, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Fenty is a joke. He seems to think he can do anything and answer to no one. From hoarding baseball tickets, to slipping contracts to his friends and cronies, to using the police to block traffic while he and his friends bike down streets that are off limits to bike riders.

Posted by: Jimof1913 | December 3, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

This Ward 6 resident won't be voting for Fenty either!! When he leaves I hope he takes Michelle Rhee with him.

Posted by: UrbanDweller | December 3, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

when fenty loses, who's gonna change ward 2 fenty-stooge, TIRED OLD jack evans' depends diapers?

Posted by: bob_dylan_rocks | December 3, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

get rid of fenty and you get rid of rhee. and maybe the wtu members will wise up and get rid of george parker. these three are all connected and this one of the reasons for fenty's low poll numbers.

Posted by: stayone | December 3, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm in Ward 1 and Fenty will not get my vote, so add one more to that poll.

Posted by: adcteacher1 | December 3, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Another Ward 6 resident who will not be casting a vote for Adrian Fenty.

He has prostituted all of the centrist political capital he had when elected in 2006. He hoodwinked nearly all of the 30% of the electorate who bothered to vote in the last election. I am going to pre-suppose that if the frustrated get off of their duff's and actually go to the polls, Fenty is going to suffer a dramatic defeat.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | December 4, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Hooray, I hope Gray wins....stop my sarcasim only goes so far.

Are you people serious? I guess what they say is true. Black politicians should never try to do their jobs. They stay in their jobs forever if they throw on the African Garb and do nothing.

Do you know who the last politician to beat Obama was? Bobby Rush! Do nothing ass Bobby Rush beat Obama with the same message people are throwing at Fenty. He's arrogant, he is a tom, he doesn't care about our people, he is a puppet of the white man. You know, all the reverse racism that Gray and the "anyone but Fenty" crowd is pitching.

Obama could win a Senate seat easier than winning a small all-black district in Chicago.

How dare that arrogant boy lower the crime rate. How dare he improve school test scores. Fire bad teahers (and some good I am sure) Re-build parks (oops Gray has that on hold). Gain a committment of a sitting US president to expand DC soverienty (remember, fenty endorsed Obama and is a near regular in the white house). Fix the DMV. AAA bond rating in a near depression.

How dare you Fenty!!!!! Stop acting like your better than me!!! You lightskinned uncle tom. How dare you try to have my kids be able to read!!! Stop acting white!!!

He should stick to doing things the way Gray, Barry, Chavious, Kelly, Peebles and the old school gang did in the 80's and 90's when it was Murder City, Crack city.

That will bring those property values down again and keep all those bad white people out of the District. Then, "we" will run this slum...i mean city....forever. Hey!!!!!

Seriously, even though i think you can take these polls with a grain of salt, it does show that the old Poverty Pimp political routine is alive and well.

Posted by: politicalrealist | December 4, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

To politicalrealist

I can tell you are a REAL FAN of all BLACK ELECTED OFFICIALS who are not walking in step with your boy FENTY.

First you insult the voters of this town (black and white) with your statements regarding were “African Garb” (did you leave out the BIG AFRO INTENTIONALLY OR DID YOU FORGET TO ADD THAT INTO YOUR STATEMENT).

You are a perfect example of the racial problems now facing this town thanks to FENTY, THE KEY ELEMENTARY PARENTS AND OTHERS WHO HIDE THEIR TRUE FEELINGS.

Perhaps your boy will win the next elections and we can only hope that he will NOT. You should ask yourself, will DC ever the same? For all the good you claim Fenty has done, the harm is far greater.

Posted by: dccounselor72 | December 4, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

The post by Politicalrealist is riddled with objectionable phrases like:

"you people,"
a reference to an adult black male as a "boy,"
"African garb" as if to suggest that all minorities are deracinated from another country before coming to America,
"Poverty Pimp,"
"Do nothing ass,"
Reference to a group of minority politicians as a "gang,"

There are also references to people by name, things that could be taken by a strong attorney as public defamation.

I am not Black but I am still greatly offended because the slurs made are indeed racist. Mostly I am offended that a person would write a comment about children learning to read and "acting white." As a White professional female who lives in Virginia I've seen many illiterate people of all races, ethnicities, creeds and socioeconomic status, not just Blacks.

With that said, here are the rules, WaPo:

"User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions."

What are you going to do with the comment? I daresay you'd NEVER allow one about Rhee of this nature, particularly since evidence has emerged that she can influence the editorial board. What will you do in this situation?

Posted by: southyrndiva | December 4, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

As to the overall topic of mayoral politics in DC, I think it's tragic that people are divided at all. How ever did things get to this point? DC has never been in such a state of chaos until now, even with its history. It is a disgrace that people can even believe that reform calls for people to be able to knowingly, even boldly, break the law.

It is horrible that the real point is Fenty's favor of special interests over real issues. It is a travesty that Fenty can abuse his power by giving contracts to his friends and fraternity brothers and create a process that attempts to cloak the contracts. It is absurd that the law can be bent and "reinterpreted" for Fenty by the highest legal authority in the city. It is unbelievable how people can just believe it is okay for people to lose their jobs across the city at arbitrary and capricious whims of Fenty's agency heads. I agree that DCPS needs to be reformed. Simply manufacturing RIFs and firing people with the snap of a finger is just not the way to do it. All of these actions have cost the city dearly and will continue to cost the city.

What is unacceptable, however, is that people still want to defend the choices he has used his public office to force upon his constituents. When during this mayoral regime forget that politicians are elected to carry out the will of the people? People want and support reform. What they don't appear to support is a band of out-of-control change agents who break rather than work to CHANGE the laws.

Posted by: southyrndiva | December 4, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's because I don't live in the District, but I read what's going on, and I just don't recall any hearing much about the things many of these commenters are claiming.

When did Mayor Fenty break the law? I understand some felt upset about the school budgets situation and the RIFs that occurred because of that, but shouldn't there be some recognition that this was necessary because of the global economic downturn, and the fact that school budgets everywhere are being drastically reduced (look at Fairfax County in VA where the budget is facing a really, really big set of painful cuts).

I mean, I thought DC has been fairly well-run for the last few years. And I think it's fiscal house, for the first time in years, seems to be in order. Is that incorrect?

Please inform me of some specific things that the Fenty administration has really screwed up, because I can't really think of anything big. Again, maybe it's because I'm not a resident, even if I'm a frequent visitor and big fan!

At any rate, I hope DC does not abandon the very positive course it's set--our whole region benefits as DC continues to improve and grow and create more jobs for people as it seems to have been doing over the last several years....

Posted by: DouginMountVernon | December 4, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mountvernon - To find out what the fuss is about, I suggest that you type "Fenty" in the search box at the top of this page and read a bit.

As for comparing the school situation in DC to that in fairfax, please be advised that fairfax, (and no other school system I know of), did not have a RIF in the middle of the school year that not only upset student learning, but also made it impossible for teachers to find work, as they could have if they had been notified in August.

Posted by: efavorite | December 4, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I am a ward 4 voter. I didn't vote for him then and I certainly will vote for anybody but Fenty now. Don't sign the petitions! WE might not have an announced person yet but it would be great to make sure Fenty can't even get his name on the ballot.

Posted by: candycane1 | December 5, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse