Michael Brown ponders challenge to Fenty

Council member Michael Brown (I-At Large) sure sounded like a man preparing to run for mayor at his lunchtime media roundtable today. Brown, who was first elected to the council in 2008, said he would consider taking on Mayor Adrian Fenty in a general election contest if Council Chairman Vincent Gray (D) decides not to get in the race - or is unsuccessful in a Democratic primary bid in September.

Over shrimp salad and wraps, Brown cautioned that he would not make any decision until Gray makes up his mind. But Brown said he is undaunted by the $3 million Fenty has raised for his bid for a second term.

"Three million is a lot, but I don't think that will be the determining factor," he said. "His traditional base may not be there anymore."

Brown criticized Fenty's governing style for what he said was a lack of transparency and accountability.

A representative for Fenty's campaign declined to comment.

By Ann Marimow  |  January 20, 2010; 3:00 PM ET
Categories:  Ann E. Marimow , D.C. Council , Mayor Fenty
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Solar-powered parking meters installed around town
Next: District unemployment hits 12.1 percent despite added jobs

Comments

I want Fenty gone, but Michael Brown is not the answer.

Posted by: logosdesigns | January 20, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Co-sign, logosdesigns.

Posted by: Is_this_thing_on | January 21, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

whats wrong with Michael Brown? He would be a good Mayor.

Fenty is mayor because the Washington post and power elites needed a front to carry their water.

Even though Nickles got him off for stealing from his clients while practicing the people still voted him in because the post wanted. Nickles is a good lawyer and represents his clients well. Thats how O.J. got off.

Brown would represnt the entire city and not at the expense of any group.

Posted by: gordonbundy | January 21, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I would vote for a sewer rat before I vote for Michael Brown.

Posted by: Ward4DC | January 21, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I would vote for a sewer rat before I vote for Michael Brown.

Posted by: Ward4DC | January 21, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Michael Brown needs to go somewhere and sit down. He is not executive material. Well, neither was Fenty, perhaps Michael does stand a chance with the voters of THIS town.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | January 22, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh my God.. this is the last thing the District needs. Would someone with skills and a decent reputation pls stand up and run against Fenty? Brown would be wrong, wrong, wrong! Pebbles, Gray, Kwame, somebody... please!

Posted by: Resolute | January 23, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I want the mayor for LIFE BARRY BARRY BARRY BARRY BARRY BARRY BARRY

Posted by: mlhkfh | January 23, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Voting for Fenty is akin to voting for a sewer rat.

Posted by: southyrndiva | January 24, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I would vote for a sewer rat before I vote for Michael Brown. Posted by: Ward4DC | January 21, 2010 6:09 PM
___________________________________________

Well Ward4DC, apparently you already voted for two sewer rats, Fenty and Bowser. Anyone and anything would be an improvement over what is currently holding the office.

Posted by: lacairaine | January 25, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Michael Brown doesn't become visible until their is an opening on a ballot. I still don't know what he has done or is doing to serve the community. We have enough dead weight on the council (i.e. Bowser), and we don't need a mayor that will provide more of the same.

Posted by: logosdesigns | January 26, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse