Fenty highlights plowing at newly cleared Ward 4 street

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D), who is up for reelection this year, appeared to be in full campaign mode during an afternoon update on the city's snow-removal efforts.

Fenty called the media to the 1400 block of Buchanan Street NW, near the intersection of 14th Street, in Ward 4. He was joined by council member Muriel Bowser (D-Ward 4), a Fenty ally, and some neighbors.

Earlier in the day, Fenty said, the street he was standing on had been a snow-clogged mess. But after the city called in some heavy equipment, it was just wet by the time of his 4 p.m. press conference.

Fenty, who had the event on the side of the street even though a television reporter expressed concerns about her safety, was also joined by Edward Floyd, who lives on the block.

"I appreciate everything you all have done," said Floyd, noting his wife is disabled. "The whole neighborhood appreciates its."

So who is Floyd? Ronald Moten, the co-founder of Peaceaholics and a friend of Fenty's, is Floyd's grandson.

Floyd, 73, credited Moten with getting the city's attention about the condition of his grandfather's street.

"He called and asked if anyone has been to the street," Floyd recalled. "I said no and he said, okay, he would see what he could do and make a couple calls."

Moten said he called various agencies and the mayor's office to try to get a plow to his father's street. But he said he did not receive special treatment.

"It took days," Moten said. "I called everybody...I was told the same thing everybody else was told: 'We are going to get there as soon as we can'."

-- Tim Craig

By Anne Bartlett  |  February 12, 2010; 6:32 PM ET
Categories:  Mayor Fenty , Tim Craig
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fenty responds to Hardball's Matthews
Next: Fenty says residential streets are '90 percent' plowed, urges residents to clear sidewalks

Comments

I live in Ward 4 and my street is a wreck. What is Mayor Fenty trying to prove?

Posted by: tacard1 | February 12, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I to live in ward 4 close to Takoma Metro and my street is not passable. And might I add that those residents who live east of the city NE/SE always seems to be an afterthought. If you are going to treat your city treat the whole city and not your part of town.

Posted by: nubianqu2003 | February 12, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I talked with residents of 36th street NW, which was completely clear. They said Fenty had dinner there last night, and they said DDOT plowed the street just before Fenty showed up.

Guess you get plowed only if you're buddies with the mayor.

Posted by: brandonsavage | February 12, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm afraid Fenty is toast.

Posted by: JohnRDC | February 12, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I am a life long Ward 4 D.C. resident and I noticed on today, many of the side streets in Ward 4 are in horrific condition. 1400 blocks of Kennedy, Madison, Montague, Manchester, Underwood, Rittenhouse, Van Buren, ect. I can't stand Ward 4 Councilmember Muriel Bowser a Fenty puppet. Many Ward 4 D.C. voters hate both Bowser and Fenty. Fenty will not be getting my vote in 2010.

JohnRDC, most will be happy to see King Fenty's kingdom come falling down.

Posted by: Ward4DC | February 12, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Lost for words, see you in the voting booth Fenty & Muriel. Muriel who? Oh, his puppet!

Posted by: drfields | February 12, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately for Mayor Fenty, this is not the time to show favoritism to low tag holders, ace-boone-coons, or family friends. Who would have thought that something as quiet as snow would make Fenty realize he's not God and bring him to his knees to pray.

Posted by: vmohammed16 | February 13, 2010 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Funny things happen to mayors who set taxicab rates.

Posted by: starclimber9 | February 13, 2010 5:05 AM | Report abuse

Wow! Really, Mr. Fenty? I hope this media event does for you what climbing into a tank did for Michael Dukakis.

Posted by: linroy62 | February 16, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse