Fenty responds to Hardball's Matthews

At a news conference Thursday, Mayor Fenty was asked to respond to criticism from MSNBC commentator Chris Matthews. To review, Mathews took aim at the mayor's handling of snow removal on "Hardball" on Wednesday and said Fenty needs some competition in his reelection bid this year.

With or without competition, Fenty said, "I will work around the clock to get reelected." The mayor noted that he's already started knocking on doors to make his case directly to voters.

"In all my campaigns," he said, "we've always started earlier and been the first to knock on doors."

And is he worried about the political implications of messing up the aftermath of such a big storm?

"I'm just focused on the operations of snow removal, not the politics of snow removal," Fenty said.

By Ann Marimow  |  February 12, 2010; 8:05 AM ET
Categories:  Ann E. Marimow , Mayor Fenty
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snow plows clear the way for Fenty
Next: Fenty highlights plowing at newly cleared Ward 4 street

Comments

Fenty is toast and he knows it.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | February 12, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

The operation as well as the politics of snow removal stinks. Save yourself time. Skip my door.

Posted by: candycane1 | February 12, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Fenty injected politics in it from the beginning. He wanted to appear that even a blizzard was no match for him and attempted to open the schools on Monday.

As the week went on he continued to act like snow removal was happening on the side streets. He should of just acknowledged that there was excessive snow and be honest to us. Instead he was his usual arrogant delusional self.

One week later and my street is still not plowed!

Posted by: letsbereal2 | February 12, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Why do the same 5 disgruntled people always write comments on these things?

Posted by: billjones21 | February 12, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

billjones21,

If you can count, you will see that only three people made a comment before your post!

Actually, I see many people making comments on the Washington Post blogs, hundreds in fact. Also, for the past week I have looked at Fenty in interviews everyday making it sound like side streets are actually being plowed.

Everyone has the right to offer his or her opinion. If you do not agree you can offer yours.

Posted by: letsbereal2 | February 12, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Post is trying to twist reality to fit its wishes. Lets think about who reads Washington Post editorials? People who don't live in the city but have an interest in the national affairs aspects? Yes. People who don't live in D.C. but who believe that Washington, D.C. is a joke and can't do anything right? Yes. People who are new to D.C. (white or black) who look to the Post for some sort of guidance? Yes. Peole who are long time residents of D.C.? yes. But just for giggles. And how many people are these? Believe it or not, some long time residents (even native Washingtonians) are white. And I can say for sure, that we white folks hate Fenty just as much as our fellow African American DC citizens. And I believe we can and will out vote the newbies. It is not too late to wake up and smell the coffee.

Posted by: tacard1 | February 12, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Politics aside, this was a hell of a lot of snow. Any city is going to have a tough time getting out of it.

Posted by: lindott | February 12, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Who the F### is Chris Matthews just another racist so called journalist that uses the media to prompt his racist views.

I cant wait for Chris to have a Tim Russert moment I will be the first to piss on his grave.

This does not mean I support Countess Fenty is means carpet baggers like Matthews should stay out of local politics.

Posted by: blkisin | February 16, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse