Motley quits group in Barry's contract controversy
The fallout from Marion Barry's contract controversy continues with the Rev. Anthony J. Motley stepping down as president of the JOBS Coalition and as head of its workforce-development and community-outreach programs.
"We accept Rev. Motley's decision to step down at this time," John McMahon, Coalition board president and chairman, said in a statement Wednesday. "This action and his cooperation with our internal review demonstrate his commitment to the Coalition's ongoing work."
In the statement, the coalition said Motley's action came as the group's board reviews management practices related to grant funding received from the D.C. Council last year.
In a report to the council last week, attorney Robert S. Bennett concluded that Barry (D-Ward 8) personally benefited from a $15,000 contract he secured for his then-girlfriend Donna Watts-Brighthaupt. The council had appointed Bennett to investigate council earmarks.
Bennett also concluded that Barry, who apologized on Tuesday for "lack of sound judgment" in awarding the contract to Watts-Brighthaupt, impeded the investigation and that he secured earmarks for his friends, including Motley.
"Without a proper discourse and disclosure concerning this matter, it leaves one to believe that I, and the organizations represented, received funds based solely on political favoritism and friendship," Motley, a possible candidate for an at-large seat on the council this year, said Tuesday. "I want to dispel that notion and continue to serve the people of the District of Columbia."
-- Eli Reyes
Christopher Dean Hopkins
February 24, 2010; 12:56 PM ET
Categories: D.C. Council , Marion Barry
Save & Share: Previous: Questions remain unanswered on D.C. medical pot rules
Next: Same-sex marriage opponents appeal, advocates look to March 3
The comments to this entry are closed.