Fenty gathers get-out-the-vote data at Dupont Circle

Christopher Dean Hopkins

Fenty_Dupont.jpgD.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) spent more than two hours pressing the flesh and taking names this morning in as he took his one-on-one campaign skills to the heart of Dupont Circle.

Greeting pedestrian commuters at the base of the Dupont Circle fountain, a relaxed Fenty reached out to nearly everyone who passed by, asking them if they were a "D.C. Democrat." He then posed for photographs and plastered "Fenty" stickers on their clothes.

Most importantly, however, Fenty and a small army of volunteers gathered all-important names, e-mail and addresses to log into their voting files - which will become indispensable commodities when it comes to the mayor's get-out-the vote effort.

"Are you a D.C. Democrat?" Fenty asked one hurried commuter. "Do you think I can count on you? ... I just want to get your name."

Many of people who Fenty came in contact with this morning gladly gave their information to the mayor's volunteers. And when someone said they were too busy to stop because they were late for work, Fenty ordered a volunteer to walk with that person to collect the information on-the-go.

The people walking near the fountain this morning are just the type of voters Fenty advisers believe they need to reach in order to be successful. Many were in their 20s and 30s, and most interviewed by The Washington Post said they do not follow local politics closely.

"You need to register to vote for the primary," Fenty told one new District resident, who had stopped to have his picture taken with the mayor. "Do you mind if Chuck gets your name?"

More than a few passersby said they live in suburban Maryland or Virginia. Fenty tried to recruit those commuters as volunteers for his campaign.

"I'm Adrian Fenty, I just want to come by to ask for your vote, " Fenty said as he rushed up to a 24-year woman who he later found out lived in Arlington.

"I don't follow D.C. politics, but I think he has been great," said the woman, who declined to give her name to The Washington Post but signed up to be a possible volunteer with the Fenty campaign. "He has done a lot of great things for D.C. public education."

Amy Wong, 37, of Glover Park, also handed over her contact information to Fenty.

"I don't follow local politics too closely, but I don't think he's done a terrible job," Wong said. "I think he's made some controversial choices, like the schools chancellor, but I admire someone who has made the tough choices."

-- Tim Craig

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Christopher Dean Hopkins  |  April 27, 2010; 10:55 AM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election , Mayor Fenty , Tim Craig
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albright to appear at Ray fundraiser for D.C. council campaign
Next: Ex-Jim Graham aide pleads not guilty in taxi cab scandal

Comments

Wow!

Posted by: drfields | April 27, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

No insults? No name calling? No bashing of the opponent? Just handshakes, hard work and touting accomplishments? What is Fenty thinking? That won't sell any newspapers.

Posted by: politicalrealist | April 27, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

He's still a sleazeball and still hasn't dumped Sinclair Skinner, Scott Bolden, and the rest of the bad boys on the take.

Posted by: blankspace | April 27, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Fenty is basically counting on uneducated voters...the ones that don't follow politics. I'm one of those in the 20s to 30s and white that will NOT vote for Fenty ever again. He is corrupt and just b/c his corruption gets results, doesnt make it right.

Posted by: DCJUSTICE | April 27, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Of four good friends I have who admit to have voted for Fenty last time, all four say they will never vote for him again. And two of them were close associates and
even campaigned for him.

He can smile all he wants, but he is never getting the trust back from people like me.

Posted by: tacard1 | April 27, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Reporters tragically know nothing about campaigns to them this looks good.

To me this looks horrible.

You are the incumbent, you have raised a 3.5 million dollar war chest, you are 4 months out in a 2 year campaign and you are doing voter id now--in a low voter turnout ward in a spot with more commuters than voters. Troubling.

And the best quote is he has done a terrible job, ouch!!!

This is going to be an interesting campaign year.

If voters were voting today, Fenty would win Ward 1, 2 and greater parts of 3. Gray would win 4, 5, 7, 8 and split 6.

Meaning Gray would win.

Posted by: 411Tibby | April 27, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, this is Fenty's only term as Mayor of D.C. He used Michelle Rhee to do his dirty work by firing veteran teachers. He also attempted to bring special needs persons placed in facilities out of town because the District did not have and still does not have appropriate educational schools for them. I was getting calls about my child returning to the District, but when I said the District must provide a program equal to or better than the program he's in now, the calls stopped. He is a snake. No thanks, Fenty.

Posted by: skinfreak | April 27, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Michelle Rhee for Mayor!

Posted by: WashingtonDame | April 27, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

This man will not be getting my vote. How dare he snub Dr. Dorothy Height by refusing to meet with her, but yet he will be at her funeral Thursday before the camera.

Posted by: Ward4DC | April 27, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Fenty once, but will never ever vote for him again. In fact, none of my friend, family or associates will be voting for him. Before I vote for Fenty, I will not vote at all.

Posted by: samvped205 | April 27, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

fenty is a crook

Posted by: yoooooooo | April 27, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

So whose time is he on while doing this...the city time which is my tax dollar or did he use a leave slip and can somebody supply me a copy because 2 hours of this is not coming out of my tax dollars!

Posted by: cherita_whiting@yahoo.com | April 27, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cherita_whiting@yahoo.com | April 27, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

he is spending two hours campaigning! when is he going to punch in? when has this guy actually did some work as mayor?

Posted by: nivla | April 27, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1tenforall | April 28, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Every day the Washington post proves that they are the earned media arm of the fenty campaign. This is getting old.

Posted by: 1tenforall | April 28, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Co-sign all except WashingtonDame. I also notice how the washpo team markets the Fenty/Rhee stories via links on the Metro page. Why is that. Don't other poloticals deserve more?

Posted by: thelildiva4u | April 28, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse