Fenty opens campaign headquarters on Georgia Ave.

D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty appears to be going back to where he started, opening a campaign headquarters on Georgia Avenue in Ward 4. He has moved into the vacant Curtis Chevrolet dealership that shut its doors a few years and is set for a new development. He will hold his official opening April 10.

Fenty, a former Ward 4 council member, set up shop on Florida Avenue with easy access to the gentrifying U Street corridor for his mayoral bid in 2006. Moving to Georgia Avenue puts him in view of the constituents who helped him get into office.
Here's an e-mail message he sent to supporters Saturday morning:

"I wanted to share some exciting news with you. Today, Fenty 2010 swung open the doors of our new campaign headquarters at 5929 Georgia Avenue NW. The new headquarters will allow us to take the campaign to the next level as we organize volunteers for phone banking, canvassing and winning on September 14th. Please join us for our official campaign headquarters grand opening on Saturday, April 10th at 10 am."

Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray (D) announced earlier in the week that he would challenge Fenty his seat.

By Washington Post Editors  |  April 3, 2010; 10:26 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New indictment details Loza conversations
Next: Judge rips Fenty on Child and Family Services leadership

Comments

Maybe he has seen his polling in Ward 4 and is realizing that his old home has greatly soured on him. He is not popular amongst my Ward 4 neighbors. Everyone I know wants him gone. His action of placing his campaign office here is symbolic, but might be too little too late.

Posted by: scinerd1 | April 3, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

At this point, there is nothing Fenty can do to earn my vote. My vote is Gray's to lose.

Fenty's current budget proposal of spend w/out thinking is irresponsible. Why during a huge downturn in our economy that the Mayor continues to spend millions in building new recreation centers, is beyond me. Spending the money on jobs programs would be much better...

Posted by: DCJUSTICE | April 3, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Fenty go home !!!!

Posted by: properbostonian1 | April 3, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow! A candidate with a platform and a campaign office.

Gray really takes that Anybody but Fenty stuff to heart. He figures "Hell, I can be 'anyone' vote for me!"

Really, Gray needs to say what his platform is. Anybody that supports his run him without him first verbalizing his intentions is being irresponsible.

Intentions other than "I intend not be Adrian Fenty."

Posted by: politicalrealist | April 3, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Ward 4 is singing "What have you done for me lately, wooo ooh ooh yeah" There is thin ice "up in here"!!!!

Posted by: candycane1 | April 3, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Arrogant or gutsy for Fenty to return to the scene?
Time will tell

I am voting no to Mayor Fenty part 2.

Posted by: 2belinda | April 3, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"I intend not be Adrian Fenty." platform so far is resonating well with most people I am hearing from....

Posted by: winston61 | April 3, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Adrian knew not to send this Ward 4 D.C. voter this email, because he know I no longer support him or like him as a person. Many of my neighbors in the 16th Street Heights neighborhood hate's Fenty guts. Adrian will reap what he's sowed these last 4 years treating the people who helped to get him elected as the Ward 4 Councilmember like sh$t. Good riddance King Fenty. Go back to Kenyon Street, NW and live near your liberal hippie parents.

Posted by: Ward4DC | April 3, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Andy Fenty you still running for MAYOR OF DC say it ain't so crude one?

Posted by: foxxmacpryor | April 4, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps, the Mayor would have the fired, displaced, and homeless people to live in the wonderful parks and recreation centers that he is so fond of. This current mayor appears to be the worst elected mayor to date.

Posted by: fivetogo | April 4, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Fenty is the new Barry. Barry drove the city bankrupt in the mid 90's, Fenty is going to drive DC bankrupt again.

Posted by: JeroRobson1 | April 4, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Here he comes again, back with that phony populism platform. I didn't vote for him as a second term councilmember or first term mayor, and I certainly have no reason to vote for him now.

Posted by: logosdesigns | April 4, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

the new recreation centers are a wasted of money, before the parks were fixed with new turf, you will see people playing on those fields, now you only see the turf but no people, you want to end gang violence in the city, but you are taking away the parks, the fields. the only people you see playing at the new fixed location is small children, and children that don't live in the bachelorhood that come play with different leagues around the metro area. my vote goes for Gray

Posted by: ernestto25 | April 4, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

i meant neighborhood

Posted by: ernestto25 | April 4, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Look what he did for Curtis Chevrolet? Did nothing to help them stay in business, then move into their now vacated and cheap diggs. I live in Ward 4 and he has yet to earn my vote for Councilmember or for mayor.

Posted by: Carole5520 | April 4, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Adrian Fenty is a crook who belongs in prison. VOTE ANYONE BUT FENTY !!!

Posted by: ashafer_usa | April 4, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

He is a one term Mayor..The closer Fenty is to his home he can walk home and think about all jobs was lost becaues of him. Im live in Ward 4 Im not voting for him.

I do agree with your statement below:

Maybe he was trying to hand pick a Deveopler for Curtis Chevrolet that will help him his campaign funds....He is so dirty.

Posted by: dcynnep | April 5, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, after September, he can reopen that site as his new place of employment - Adrian's Bike Shop!

Posted by: ssmd11 | April 5, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse