Fenty, Gray to attend Ward 7 steakhouse opening Wednesday

Ray's: The Steaks at East River will open with fanfare Wednesday when Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) joins eccentric restaurateur Michael Landrum to unveil his latest addition.

Expect D.C. Council member Yvette M. Alexander (D-Ward 7) and Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray (D) to be on hand. The new restaurant will be Ward 7's second big-name, sit-down establishment. Denny's will finally get some company.

Don't expect fireworks between Fenty and Gray, who announced last week that he will challenge the mayor in the September primary. They've been civil in all of their run-ins since Gray's announcement. But watch out for Landrum, who is known as much for throwing out misbehaving or impatient customers as he is for his investment in forgotten communities.

The event begins at 3:30 p.m. at Ray's, 3905 Dix St. NE.

-- Nikita Stewart

By Washington Post Editors  |  April 6, 2010; 7:12 PM ET
Categories:  City Life , D.C. Council , Mayor Fenty , Vincent C. Gray
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. officials announce expansion of food stamp program
Next: D.C. denied end to lawsuits

Comments

He's got a lot of courage opening on Dix St. He had better be armed if he has to throw someone out for bad behaviour or have plenty of security in addition to wait staff. I hope he succeeds as that area sure is in need.

Posted by: msjn1 | April 7, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

There's already the Bagel Bakery, a sit-down place around the corner, a Mac Do's and a pizza place.

Great to have another place to eat in this area.

Posted by: cranberry | April 7, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Does Ray(ful) take food stamps like the Korean and Chinese fvendors? And do he servfe beef ribs ionstead of swine/pork to the Blacks here? Is he above or for the people? And is hiring Blacks or the latino/illegal immigrants,if so I hope he fails real quick.

Posted by: foxxmacpryor | April 7, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

What I meant to state/ask was is Ray's hiring BLACKS? If so I patronize his joint! If, he finds he only will hire latinos/illegal immigrants then I hope he fails rather suddenly. Keep the swine off the menu and out of the vegggies please or I hope the patrons-to-be- will run out your door.

Posted by: foxxmacpryor | April 7, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Is this really news?

Posted by: cancer1 | April 7, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Wish this man would build a website so I can view the menu before I GO!!! Sorry, not patronizing a restaurant without a menu preview...

Posted by: sigmagrrl | April 7, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse