Kwame Brown steps up chairman campaign

Washington Post Editors

D.C. Council member Kwame Brown's campaign for council chairman is starting to take shape.

On Wednesday, Brown (D-At Large) officially filed as a candidate with the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics. One day later, Brown's father, Marshall Brown, was at Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street rounding up support for his son. Marshall Brown, a longtime political strategist, was handing out freshly printed "Kwame for Council Chair" signs to patrons, reports The Washington Post's Jonathan O'Connell.

Last night, Brown sent out a statement highlighting the support of council member Mary M. Cheh (D-Ward 3).

"Council member Kwame Brown understands what's at stake and has the ability to bring the council and residents together on critical issues," Cheh said. "He has the skills to preserve the city's fiscal health while balancing the needs of residents across the city."

Council member Jack Evans (D-Ward 1) has also stated that he plans to run for council chair. But Evans has not filed, and some City Hall observers believe he could face an uphill battle against Brown.

In other campaign news, council member Jim Graham (D-Ward 1) reports that he's already picked up an endorsement from the Service Employees International Union, a potentially significant nod considering the union's influence within the Hispanic community.

-- Tim Craig

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Tim Craig  |  April 16, 2010; 12:08 PM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election , D.C. Council , Tim Craig  | Tags: Council of the District of Columbia, Jack Evans, Jim Graham, Kwame Brown, Service Employees International Union
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hoyer gives green light to D.C. voting rights bill
Next: Barry's longtime spokeswoman moves on

Comments

Mr. Brown you have my vote!

Posted by: tman2 | April 16, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I would never vote for Jack Evans of Ward 2. Jack Evans doesn't not represent the D.C. voters. He represents big business and filling his back account with millions.

Posted by: DaddyGraceFishSandwich | April 16, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

To the Citizens of the District of Columbia:
It is evident by my screen-name where I stand. But the truth of the matter is that D.C. and its residents are at a crossroads. Our choice, as to which directions to proceed can not be defined, simplistically as: returning to the way D.C. was in its past, or its future as a world-class, model city of innovation and efficiency. Currently, we have neither; which also includes a vote in congress. The choice we face as a city, as a community, as neighbors, can simply be defined as a choice between right and wrong. I know what side I am on, and I know what I am willing to fight for. Kwame Brown for Council Chair 2010!!!

Posted by: KwameFan | April 16, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

With Jack Evans running, the choice is clear. I going with Brown.

Posted by: candycane1 | April 18, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

With Jack Evans running, the choice is clear. I'm going with Brown.

Posted by: candycane1 | April 18, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse