CFSA workers laid off as part of budget cuts

More than 100 employees of the District's child welfare agency lost their jobs Thursday in a wave of layoffs prompted by citywide budget cuts and plans to restructure some jobs at the Child and Family Services Agency.

Social worker aides, who play a vital support role at the agency, were among the hardest hit with all 57 of them losing their jobs.

Social workers said the cuts would cripple the agency's work.

The agency plans to create a new position with higher qualifications to replace the social worker aides.

But even after the hires across the agency, it will be at least 52 positions short of current staffing levels.

-- Henri Cauvin

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Washington Post editors  |  May 6, 2010; 2:25 PM ET
 | Tags: Child and family services, Child protection, Social work
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Could drug offenders work in D.C. medical pot dispensaries?
Next: Proposal to tax more D.C. services meets with protests

Comments

If there's anything DC could use fewer of, it's child welfare workers. Not.

As Spock would say, "Illogical".

Posted by: sheckycat | May 6, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

This is an absolute mess... as if CFSA was not already in a shambles now what??? more children die at the hands of abusive parents and foster parents?? There has not been much follow up as it is..now that there is some type of normalcy to this they want to up and fire 57 workers...i pray for the children..... what a waste... i'm sure if they looked hard enough the money would have come from somewhere... maybe if the Mayor was heating swimming pools (that only he uses btw) and setting up cycling centers these people would still have a job.... Our Safety Nets are being "destroyed" yet no one seems to care..... this amazes me....

Posted by: ReflectionofLyfe | May 6, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

If the DC govt want s to save money > just cut-off the welfare checks to all the dead-beat welfare recipients..

or better yet > make the welfare recipients pass a urine test when they come to pickup their check every month...

Posted by: kglkgl06 | May 6, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I am so disheartened to hear this....you see, I am finishing up my last 4 yrs of govt service here where I work(federal govt), and finishing my BA just so I can come and work in my "dream" field....yes, social services, I still am...but I wonder what will I face...IF it's any sight of hope I am coming to make a difference....that's my end result!!!

Posted by: sonel | May 6, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

They need to fire those workers, personally I thing they need people who are competent in this line of work.

Posted by: Tomchris1 | May 6, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

This is the usual Gestapo Fenty tactic. Now Roque claimed the cuts would be for budget reason and then he changed his story and said the cuts are happening b/c of reduce workload.

The question that has and continues to be raised at CFSA is what about the managers. CFSA is so top heavy. You have managers who don't manage a soul.

Read more here
www.dcunionpower.wordpress.com

Posted by: thelildiva4u | May 6, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry to hear this. Firing people is never the key to revamping an agency. But going off the tone of the post, the firings are a result of budget woes. Kinda sucks for people like Sonel.

Posted by: venus31 | May 6, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Please DC Govt. - don't bother holding a press conference when another child dies after being brought to the attention of your understaffed agency. Just remember this day.

Posted by: loved1 | May 6, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow!

Posted by: drfields | May 6, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

So much for "common sense".

Posted by: OhBrother67 | May 6, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

All sectors of the economy is or has gone thru restructuring. It doesn't surprise me that state and local governments can't sustain the employees they have with reduced revenues coming in.

And given CFSA poor history of being an ineffective agency why not there. As with most DC employees they feel as if they're entitled to a job instead of actually working for thier job.

There are so many children in disfunctional households. Yet over the years not much has change even when they were fully staffed. The recent murder of DC principal - Betts- all 3 who has been caught who was in this system. What will become of the children in these disfunctional households is anybody quess.

Posted by: rationalone | May 6, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Again..they reposted the positions the same day, so these aren't cuts.

CFSA has a poor history b/c of poor management. Employees don't make management and policy decisions. They implement them so to continue to blame them for the state of the Agency is unfair.

Why fire then turn around and re-hire other folks to do the same job?

If anything these workers were the ones who truly cared about those children living in those dysfunctional households.

Posted by: thelildiva4u | May 7, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tomchris1 | May 6, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse
_________
Tomchris1, post your evidence that all laid off today were not "competent".

Posted by: terencef100 | May 7, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

i hope they laid off the workers who ruined my live 8 years ago. they took my children, said I was bi-polar and could not take care of them, yeah right. now I have an 8 year old daughter with me (i had another child) but I am not bipolar to raise her. my children are over 800 miles away from me. me and my social worker were the same age, how could she possibly help me? Keep laying them off and get better people with years of experience not just a fresh degree.

Posted by: sedcredbone | May 7, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

How much longer do you all have to deal with Fenty? He is a complete failure as Mayor and the folks who elected him are unfortunately reaping the negative affects his failures. Those folks east of the city proudly elected him and yet AGAIN, he turns his back and axed their jobs.

Posted by: Sincear2021 | May 7, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

There would be more than enough money if District contracts weren't all going to sham minority businesses run by Fenty's buddy Skinner.

Posted by: JeffB-27 | May 7, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I think its an outrage that these Social Workers would want an Aide that is non-degree in the field when it comes to families livelyhood. Parents should never be separated from their children as long their is darn good reason such as drug addict.

I'm sure the aide ignored the repeated calls before Bonanita killed her four girls.

How is an aide without any kind of proper education and classes such as psychology I,II,III,IV,certification, sociology I,II,III,certification, economics, science, religion, etc.. these aides have no idea how to peep out a distrubed people who want children for only the money and then it becomes overwhelmed for them but they still want the money so they move to isolate location to kill them and still collect the money.

The Mayor of DC should also check these so-called "Social Workers" credentials too!!! I can peep out a well-dressed, well mannered person if they have some kind of emotional issues! Everyone slips. I'm not even in that profession!

I have a 4 year degree and Master of Science Degree in a different field. But, I bet you I can get myself a cert with a few more classes. Everyone that gets a degree has to have sociology I and Psychology I. and other classes other than your major.

The only way these social workers got away with this is because they talked up a good game alongside with other ignorant politicians to allow them to say they know their people, blah, blah. They don't care about Black Children that are in the system!!! Its all about money and power.

Posted by: aidap1 | May 7, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Social Workers can also get burnout from doing paperwork and dealing with emotional famiies on a daily basis. What we need is a Clean House of all Social Workers who've been on the job more than 10 years! Get rid of them.

We need new people who care and have a passion from young, mid-age, to old parents that have children of all ages.

If they had passion is gone today. Otherwise we shouldn't see children dying in the hands of trusted people that the CSFA reccommended.

Posted by: aidap1 | May 7, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Sederedbone, It is people like you who keep on having dysfunal kids. You do not have the right to blame CFSA for taking your kids. With the recent mass drive by shoting in SE, learn to be a good mom. I will not be surprise if your kid is gunned down and you come up with the old euphemism: My kid was a good kid" Get a life. Moron

Posted by: camty | May 7, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

aidap1....the jacks case happen b/c mangement never considered the high number of cases that each worker was assigned. It's interesting that the workers are blamed when it's mangement that make the rules. I guess it's easier to pick on them.

Before commenting I would suggest learning more about what these worker
did.