Gray Works for Votes in Northeast

gray_signs.jpg

D.C. Council member Vincent C. Gray is out to prove he won't be out-hussled on the campaign trail by the energetic Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D).

Gray and several dozen of his supporters held a sign wave this morning at the corner of 12th and Monroe streets in the Brookland neighborhood of Northeast. And, judging by the reaction Gray received from passing motorists, the chairman appears to have broad support in the area.

Gray spent about an hour running up down the lanes of traffic shaking hands, many of whom honked their approval. At times, traffic came to a standstill as passing motorists stopped in the middle of the street as they waited for a volunteer to hand over a yard sign.

With Northeast home to a large share of the city's black middle class, the reaction could be yet another indicator that Fenty is struggling to win over African-American voters. Gray, however, was eventually forced to move his event to another block because his noisy group was interfering with an impending funeral at St. Anthony's Catholic Church.

"It was incredibly uplifting and encouraging to see the positive response," Gray said. "And so many of my supporters were out here to send a message of support."

In fact, some Gray supporters debuted a new chant during the sign wave.

"It's not black or white, it's Gray," they said.

--Tim Craig

By Tim Craig  |  May 14, 2010; 1:42 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fenty, Gray get early start on ballot signatures
Next: Who won the Ward 8 straw poll?

Comments

I'd like a Gray sign for my yard in Ward 6.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | May 14, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Love the new slogan!! It's true, our current mayor has sought to divide along the lines of race, class, age, native washingtonians vs. newcomers. This is not a way to build unity or progress. It's time to move forward. I voted for Fenty last time, but I'm gonna have to go for Gray this time. I appreciate Fenty's service but somewhere along the way he got off track and couldn't get beyond himself and his crew.

Posted by: DCcomm | May 14, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

concernedaboutdc, go to www.vincegrayformayor.com and request a sign or go to Gray's campaign headquarters at 6th & K NW.

I'm excited about the push and excitment surrounding the Gray campaign.

WARD 4 VOTER & WHITE...I like the new slogan too. I put white b/c all the press seem to be saying us white people are for Fenty and that is WRONG

Posted by: DCJUSTICE | May 14, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

@DCJUSTICE: Thanks...done...

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | May 14, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

to DCJUSTICE and concernedaboutdc: I'm White, live in Ward 6 and I LOVE my "GRAY for Mayor" sign I have in my front yard!!! Everyone thinks this falls neatly along racial lines but Fenty has turned off A LOT of us White voters!

Posted by: UrbanDweller | May 14, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

@urbandweller: We are neighbors...Hi Neighbor, as Mr. Rogers said. :)

Fenty's crew were in the neighborhood this week trolling for votes. I thought it was the census taker and opened the door by mistake. I had one thing to say, "I'm voting for Gray". End of discussion. It made my day.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | May 14, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

concernedabout dc if you email me your address I will take care of you!

Posted by: cherita_whiting@yahoo.com | May 14, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I love looking out my window. The nice big blue Grary sign looks so nice with my roses. Gestepo Fenty's folks were out last week at Rhode Island & Florida Ave...i didn't hear one car horn honk.

Posted by: thelildiva4u | May 14, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I am so geeked!!! God has sent us a savior!! So much excitment!!! Wow!!!! So much energy!!! So much momentum!!!! I just want to dance and speak in tounges. He gonna free my people from the evil Fenty that has enslaved us and caused us to suffer these last four hundred years!!!

I am so excited...I almost forgot Gray was a slimball that is running strickly on character assasination. And, that he has no platform.

Anyway,

1)You guys are out of your minds. By objective standards, Fenty is probably the best Mayor you have ever had. He has a record to attack because he actually did something.

2) Lets see if Gray does that everyday. And, why is that news worthy anyway?

3) I hope that you guys get Gray. If you can't see past this fraud, you deserve what you get. This dude clearly thinks negros are stupid. And, judging from their love of Barry....we must be.

Posted by: politicalrealist | May 14, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

If Gray wins, I am moving out of the city... and selling my home fast before my property loses the equity accrued during the last 4 Fenty years.

No shady Gray for me, thanks.

Posted by: chue | May 15, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

You would have had to be in a comma for the last three and a half years and not know of the Fenty effect of intimidation and bullying in DC.

If comma was not the case then most realize the time has come to vote Fenty out in favor of smart government. Many of us voters are choosing Gray for mayor.

Posted by: winston61 | May 15, 2010 1:56 AM | Report abuse

I am also white and I live in Ward 4. Twice I have travelled down 13th St., N.W., past people waiving Fenty signs and there was absolute silence. I also have Gray sign in my yard.

Fenty supporters talk about how effective he is, but I don't see it. Most of the good stuff was started under Williams, and Fenty claims credit for it.

Fenty

Posted by: tacard1 | May 15, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I can speak first hand of the progress and development deals that were inked under former Mayor Anthony Williams and Robert Bobb and now Mr. Fenty is claiming credit.

He is not the saviour of DC he is the Destruction of DC. And has anyone noticed his new campaign sign with the exaggereated "N" in Fenty that very much resembles a Nazi sign and it is concentrated in Wards 2 and 3; do you think that is by accident or is it yet another RACE-BAITING antic by this Administration.

Posted by: lacairaine | May 15, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I agree with @lacairaine, I too, have noticed that Fenty does resemble a Nazi. When he wears his leather coat and the Big Apple black cap he does look like a Nazi. This man is a fraud, who has dismantled almost every social-safety-net that people have depended on for years. People who don't need any help from government agencies should not look down on their fellow man who may need some help. Fenty's "new-world-order" attitude does not set well with some citizens of DC. Fenty needs to go!

Posted by: fivetogo | May 16, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Now Fenty looks like a Nazi. A Black Nazi because he wears a Kango? You Barry/Gray people say so much far-fetched, insulting crap. You think playing the dozens is a legitamate campaign tactic.

Every piece of progress was someone elses doing. Every social ill effecting Blacks is Fenty's doing. Everything Fenty does is evil. I think you guys have talked so much over the last two years that you actually beleive your own crap.

So far, Gray has no articulated platform. He attacks Fenty personally by race-baiting Blacks. But, agrees with him on substantive issues to try to appeal to Whites. He is betting that he can make more people dislike Fenty and ignore the issues. That is a scumy campaign tactic.

And, it will come unraveled.

If it wasn't for character assasination...Gray would have nothing to say.

Posted by: politicalrealist | May 16, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I had a debate with a Fenty campaigner who came to me spouting about all of the "accomplishments" of the Fenty Administration. Each and EVERY one they mentioned I traced back to the Anthony Williams administration, either the funding or initial plan approved by Williams. There wasn't a single original major development that wasn't inspired by and approved during the Williams Administration. So, to this day, the best Mayor that the District has ever had, in terms of economic development, has been Anthony Williams. The city has prospered, IN SPITE OF, Adrian Fenty. However, his poor leadership is starting to wear on the city.

The city is as divided as it has ever been among race and class.

Fenty has made an enemy out of every District government employee, though he is necessarily dependent upon them to carry out the mission of the government.

When you bring up the money he stole from that old man's estate, or his lackadaisical attitude towards his shifting 85 million dollars in local tax funds from the D.C. Treasury to the Housing Authority to be distributed, without legislative oversight, to his friends and cronies, they recess to this blank look and attempt to change the subject.

When you ask why, as candidate Fenty, he promised vast transparency only to, as Mayor Fenty, shroud all that he does in secrecy, you are again met with silence.

They claim that Gray is more of the same old government. When you correct them in saying that Gray first ran for political office in 2007, at a time when Fenty was already on the D.C. Council, they get confused. Stuck in the delusion of the lies they have been asked to peddle.

I am voting for Gray because I believe that he cares about the interest of ALL District residents. Not just a boutique few who feel that their needs outweigh the majority.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | May 17, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

@concerenedaboutdc, Excellent!

Posted by: fivetogo | May 18, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

To our friend Chue -Don't wait. Go Now! Pack up and don't look back.
To politicalrealist - You are anything but. You definitely have the wrong ID. politicalcretin might be a better choice. "Fenty best mayor by objective standards" --you really are a lost soul out of touch with reality. Fenty does have a record to attack -of his own making. He has done so many stupid and arrogant things, he has made it easy for the voters to see who he really is. We hope he keeps it up; can't think of a better way to get voters to the polls.

Posted by: lightkeeper | May 21, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse