Thanks to dog parks, Albright endorses Ray's D.C. council run

Mike DeBonis

Another Clinton White House notable has endorsed D.C. Council at-large hopeful Clark Ray at a Georgetown fundraiser.

Monday night, former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright gave the Democrat her thumbs-up at an event at the tony manse of Dr. James D'Orta. In October, Tipper Gore -- who was Ray's boss as Second Lady -- endorsed Ray, also in an event at the D'Orta residence.

The deal-maker? Dog parks.

Ray earned the nod from the distinguished diplomat thanks in no small part to his efforts to build a dog park in McLean Gardens -- where Albright's sister, Kathy Silva, is active in community affairs. Silva was among the most vocal supporters of building a dog facility at Wisconsin Avenue and Newark Street NW -- a long-delayed park that the city started building this month.

"I think that probably solidified it," Ray said today, adding that he also knew Albright professionally from his days on Gore's staff. The relationship is now more personal, he said: "She told me to stop calling her Madame Secretary and call her Madeline."

Reporters were told that the event was closed to the press, but a Georgetown Dish blogger reported from the party.

"I normally don't get involved in primaries," Albright reportedly said to the crowd, according to the Dish, but she added, "D.C. desperately needs vision and freshness of views."

Another interesting Dish revelation: Ray is in the habit of toting a photo of his chief opponent, four-term incumbent Democrat Phil Mendelson, as he knocks on voters' doors.

"They always ask me who I'm running against," Ray explained today. "They know his name, they just don't know what he looks like." He leaves them with this pitch: "He's never knocked on your door, he's never asked for your vote. I'm doing both today."

Mendelson said he doesn't mind if Ray flashes his mug to voters: "I appreciate my opponent's spreading the word about me and my campaign. Perhaps I can give him some literature and contribution cards to take with him as well."

By Mike DeBonis  |  May 25, 2010; 4:51 PM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election , D.C. Council , Mike DeBonis  | Tags: 2010 election, Clark Ray, James D'Orta, Madeline Albright, Phil Mendelson, Tipper Gore
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cops say there was no 'escort' for bank protesters
Next: Gray aims to extend sales tax in place of fizzled soda tax

Comments

When did Clark Ray ever stand up to the Clinton Administration on DADT, DOMA, the HIV immigration ban....?

Lapdog!!!

Posted by: actupdc | May 25, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Mendelson has to go. I've been a long-time resident in Ward 4 and we are fed up with the lack of response from Mendelson with regard to various crime issues. Mendelson is notoriously soft on crime and I guess one can be when you live over in McLean Gardens. But when you're like the rest of us, crime is real and right outside the door. As chair of the Public Safety Committee, Mendelson routinely holds up legislation that would tighten city laws and give the MPD more tools to fight crime. We have repeatedly asked Mendelson for an actionable plan to address the crime in our area, but have not received anything to that end. I sincerely hope that we get some fresh blood in this seat!

Posted by: Stats | May 25, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Umm, Ray was rather junior in the Clinton administration and probably not exactly asked for his opinion on DADT, DOMA, and the HIV immigration ban...

Posted by: mendelsonmustgo | May 25, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Phil doesn't live in McLean Gardens anymore and was against the dog park there anyway. He's living with his a girlfriend.

Posted by: chinaindc | May 25, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

since Albright resembles a British Bull Dogg, it is natural I suppose.

Posted by: madmike272 | May 25, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

LOL@MadMike272

She's an old sea hag!

Posted by: DaddyGraceFishSandwich | May 26, 2010 1:34 AM | Report abuse

Headline: "Madeleine Albright loves dog parks"

In other former Clinton cabinet secretary news:

--Mike Espy enjoys crunchy peanut butter

--Norm Minetta is fond of kittens

--Bob Rubin can't resist a good corndog

Slow news day?

Posted by: Hk45 | May 26, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Interesting that Ray is backing dog parks in affluent Ward 3 when there are so many other needs in the rest of the city-schools, rec centers, senior centers and services such as day care, youth employment services, etc. Not a candidate with my priorities!

Posted by: valeriedc | May 26, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Seems natural, since Albright needs a place to hang out from time to time.

Posted by: postfan1 | May 26, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Great!!! buy the old hag a dog broach, we don't need another dog park when we are firing child service social workers due to budget pressures. What is more essential, the welfare of children or a plush place for a pup to pee? This city's priorities are in the toilet.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | May 26, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse