Fenty repudiates rumors of domestic trouble

Washington Post Editors

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty appeared on WPGC-95.5 Tuesday morning. Though host Big Tigger engaged him on recreation centers and schools, he also asked the mayor to address rumors of infidelity, domestic abuse and a potential divorce.

"None of that is true. Very happily married. Got three great kids. You see a lot, none of that has ever made it to the light of day," Fenty said, adding that the rumors were spread when he ran in 2006.

"It borders on libel and slander, to be perfectly honest with you," Fenty said. "Every time something is raised, I send it right to my attorney because none of it is true."

By Nikita Stewart  |  June 29, 2010; 5:00 PM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election , Mayor Fenty
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gray has the floor all to himself at forum
Next: D.C. Council votes to take over beleaguered hospital

Comments

this is more proof that, just like the rumors of the Gray Campaign, Mr. Fenty has
done more for the city, and his private life is fine, and beyond reproach of the voters.
Can we please focus on how much he has already done for the city, and how much he will do for the city in the next four years.
I, for one, am sick of the rumors and allegations.

Posted by: pdv1 | June 29, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I've heard those rumors. It is odd that Fenty felt he should address them. Does he really think those rumors make a difference? Most people who are voting for Gray and against Fenty are doing so reasons related to Fenty's management of the city.

Posted by: tacard1 | June 29, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I am a Gray supporter and dislike Fenty. There is a litany of things that you could accuse him of outside his generally pleasant perfect personality (sarcasm) and it would be true.

However.

I dislike seeing this story this was a bit much. If it cannot be proven we should not see it in black and white. If it is true it is not the venue for disclosure--despite what we think of the man--he has a family.

Yeah I heard the stories and worst but --we should just stick to giving light to what we know. The firings, the malfeasance with government funds,mismanagement, overspending, shady friends, lack of transparency and neglect of the poor (until election time). I don't even want to hear we don't like his style--remember Mayor Williams was as cuddly as a cactus.

Chairman Gray would not want to be on a stage or during a debate when this question was asked talk about uncomfortable.

I don't blame Nikitta for reporting it--because the question being asked is news. How does this happen? Any pr agent worth their salt would have had enough of a relationship and knowledge of the the media actors to broker the parameters of the interview. It is amateur hour over at Team Fenty. And that is what this says.

Posted by: 411Tibby | June 29, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Fenty said, "Every time something is raised, I send it right to my attorney because none of it is true."
*******

I guess Fenty's attorney has J. Edgar Hoover type files on 50% of the population, because is the rumor that's spreading like a brushfire.

I wonder why; I never heard such a rumor about any of the former Mayors, including Marian Barry.

Posted by: dcnatives | June 29, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Correction:

I guess Fenty's attorney has J. Edgar Hoover type files on 50% of the population because this rumor is spreading like a brushfire.

Posted by: dcnatives | June 29, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't care at all about his personal life. If Fenty's wife is still married to him, then that's what she wants; that's their family. I look at his record as mayor---how he is/not handling our city's affairs and how little he seems to know about what matters in Wash, DC. He will not get my vote b/c I do not trust him; I do not agree w/how DC gov't employees are being treated; and I do not appreciate how contracts were given to his friends to help them and not our city.

Posted by: wordwise1 | June 29, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Why would Tigger ask such a quetion and then why would Fenty even dignify it. I don't like this Mayor for reasons of governance not for what he does or doesn't do within his family structure.

Tigger is a jerk for asking the question and Fenty is a moron for even answering it.

Talk about the issues of governance and economic development for your residents. Talk about the disappearance, under your watch as Mayor, of the working middle class; this city has gone from poor-middle class-affluent-rich to poor and affluent-rich...the middle class now lives in the suburbs where they can affort to live because DC has no place for them here.

Posted by: lacairaine | June 29, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Greetings
It's funny! After all these years of so called rumors, Fenty finally has given his standard answer. Well, unfortunately for Fenty the rumors are coming straight out of MPD's 4th District. So he's claiming his officers are lying ? Yeah OK.Maybe that's why he doesn't want them around while he's out and about hittin side pieces.

Posted by: bdlthesolution | June 30, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

@Pvd1: The majority of Fenty's purported "accomplishments" are those of his predecessor Mayor Anthony Williams. School Renovation, Rec Centers, Libraries, Affordable Housing, et. al. were born, bred and contracted under the Williams Administration. There were HIS accomplishments. Fenty just stayed out of the way of progress already undertaken.

Outside of rumors and allegations, I am interested in a Mayor that will not shift 100 million in taxpayer dollars to a quasi-private entity to dole out in contracts, outside of legislative oversight and approval, to his friends and cronies that don't remotely have the requisite skills to deliver the end product. To serve as go-betweens and shake down artists.

These are FACTS not allegations.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | June 30, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

So, does the mayor really think that he can now start responding to questions 10 weeks before the election? He must see the writing on the wall if he is even responding to rumors about his personal life. Also, stop accusing the people who want him OUT of doing so because they are not ackowledging all that he has done for this city. I guess you have not been touched by the damage he has done and what he has not done for the city. Do you really think there is a mindless mass of dc residents who do not have reasons for not supporting him? I don't care if you vote for him, but I am not going to based on his behavior and decisions as mayor.

Posted by: mjvdc | June 30, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Let me try to make a short list of the current mayor's accomplishments.
1. School system is a mess