Orange reintroduces himself to D.C. Democrats

Vincent Orange hands out beads at the D.C. Caribbean Carnival. (Nikita Stewart)

Former council member Vincent Orange is reintroducing himself to the District's Democratic voters in his bid to succeed Vincent Gray as council chairman.

Orange sent out 80,000 mailers over the weekend to Democrats who have voted in two of the last three primaries to get out his story in advance of the Sept. 14 primary contest with council member Kwame Brown (D-At Large).

Orange, who represented Ward 5 for two terms, ran unsuccessfully for mayor in 2006, finishing third behind former chairman Linda Cropp and now-Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D). But he has shown that he can raise campaign cash, nearly $183,000, according to June finance filings. He's spent $48,000 on the mailers, which Orange said he plans to follow up with personal visits in a door-knocking effort.

Orange's mailer, complete with childhood photos, details his life story, growing up in poverty and becoming a lawyer and accountant. He stresses his "experience" and "fresh ideas," which include the expansion of pre-K programs and vocational and employment training.

"As chairman, I'll fight every day to improve our schools and our neighborhoods, put our residents back to work and tackle the tough financial challenges facing our city."

Despite the steamy weather Sunday, Orange served up spicy Indian food to a few dozen campaign volunteers at his headquarters on Connecticut Avenue in Van Ness. In his signature orange button-down and matching blazer, the candidate told supporters he would be an antidote to what he called the "tax-and-spend" council.

By Nikita R Stewart  |  June 28, 2010; 10:37 AM ET
Categories:  Ann E. Marimow
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fenty event requires voter registration
Next: Fenty backs out of debate with Gray

Comments

Nikita,
You've obviously not looked at Orange's financial report. He did NOT raise $183K in cash, he raised $128K in cash and got a $55K loan! Take out the loan (and PAC contributions) and Kwame's $200K+ cash raised dwarfs Orange's fundraising showing.

Posted by: streff | June 28, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

It must be a slow day in the newsroom. I don't see any news here.

Posted by: DCbred | June 28, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Vincent Orange did not finish third in the 2006 Mayoral race. He was a distant fourth behind Fenty, Cropp, and Marie Johns. Johns had 8,501 votes; Orange had 3,075 votes or 2.9 percent. This information is available on the Board of Elections' web site. Post reporters should learn to access these basic sources of information.

Posted by: politicsdc | June 28, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

He was RUDE to me when I asked him a question about who he had on his team. I spoke to him about Kevin Chavous and what he did to the public school system in DC and why he would have him working in such an important role in this campaign and he essentially told me to mind my business and that he was running not Kevin Chavous. I had been told about the arrogance and rudeness of Mr. Orange but now I have experienced it first hand...I told everyone that I could think of NOT to vote for this jerk!!!!

Posted by: lacairaine | June 29, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Without the leadership of Mr. Orange (the increase in local jobs from Food Giant and Home Depot, a strong look into our local school crisis, and the renewal of the emancipation celebration) Ward 5 would be just another Cell Block 5. Remember were the beauty came from. Without Orange, the city will become just another Gray day. Vote Orange for Council Chair.

Posted by: money124 | June 29, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I remember when Kevin Chavous was Ward 7's elected city council member. Mr. Chavous did in fact ruin the DCPS school system. The blogger, @lacairaine, has a point. Mr. Chavous did nothing for Ward 7, and if Mr. Orange has him as a member of his team, then I will vote for Kwamme Brown.

Posted by: fivetogo | June 29, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice if the reporter would acknowledge and correct her error.

Posted by: politicsdc | June 29, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse