Rhee praises mayor, says she doesn't see the same dedication from Gray

Washington Post Editors

In an interview that aired Wednesday on WAMU 88.5 with senior reporter Kavitha Cardoza, D.C. Shools Chancellor Michelle A. Rhee again downplayed her role in the election between Mayor Adrian M. Fenty and chief rival Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray.

But when pressed about whether she would stay or go under a different mayor, Rhee said she did not see the same dedication to education reform from Gray that she has seen with Fenty.

"...I came to this city to take on this job specifically because I believed that there was a really unique opportunity with this mayor and how focused he was on education. He has not disappointed me one time in the last three years. I would not work under a mayor who was not focused on education in the same way, as dedicated to making some of the really difficult decisions," Rhee told Cardozo.

"I think the chairman is certainly interested in education reform.," Rhee said. "I think that he...is committed to this city and its progress, certainly. But in terms of what I'm talking about with Mayor Fenty and his willingness to make some very difficult decisions, that though may have been unpopular with the adults, they are absolutely the right thing to do for the kids and for the system, no, I haven't seen the same thing with the chairman."

Fenty has said he would retain Rhee. Earlier this week, Gray said if he had already decided to fire her he "would say so."

--Nikita Stewart

By Washington Post Editors  |  June 30, 2010; 12:57 PM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. Council votes to take over beleaguered hospital
Next: Leo Alexander may not have much money, but he's got Phyllis Schlafly

Comments

"He has not disappointed me one time in the last three years."

Translation: He has given me carte blanche to do whatever the hell I've wanted to do (whether my actions have had merit or not) without questioning me or telling me no.

Posted by: schooletal | June 30, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"Rhee said she did not see the same dedication to education reform from Gray that she has seen with Fenty."

Translation: Gray, as mayor, would not allow me to continue my reckless and autocratic reign of terror (i.e., disrupting stable and successful programs, using test scores as the "be all and end all" of job performance rating, disregarding parents and other community stakeholders, especially those east of the Park, etc.) with all my empty claims of great success, unaccountability, lack of transparency, runaway spending and other similar "accoutrements" afforded me by fenty.

Posted by: schooletal | June 30, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Gray, as in everything else, can't make up his mind.

Posted by: pdv1 | June 30, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance, Rhee!

Posted by: DCbred | June 30, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

"or anotherwords, Rhee/Fenty would continue to commit to improving the schools, and our kids future."
...
pdv 1

__________

Straight from the Mayor's bullpen...how original.

Posted by: shepDC | June 30, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

shepDC you just hit the nail square on the head.

I thought it was "all about the children".

It is time to vote the egomanic out of office and can his She-ra chancellor.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | June 30, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I guess Fenty would have to slap a supporter's mama before they see the real Fenty.

Everybody else is crazy; the straw polls results for Gray, endorsements for Gray,the unemployed, and the accusations of corruption not like before in the city .

All these folks are crazy. His own Ward does not approve of his performance.
And now he's up to his trickery again.

The WP is now his campaign chair, strategist, and voluteers. The WP is running his campaign.

when are you going to listen to your inner voice?

Posted by: gordonbundy | June 30, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

@schooletal, Right-On!
You said everything I was thinking!

Posted by: fivetogo | June 30, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Bye bye Michelle. You'll be missed about as much as a cured case of jock itch or athlete's foot.

Posted by: UrbanDweller | June 30, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Name one Fenty cabinet member who would say anything different than what she said? You cant because they would be an EX cabinet member!
That makes whatever she has to say about as relevant as Nickles, Moten, Skinner, Omar, Lomax or anyone else who has to depend on getting their mortgage money from him. NOT AT ALL!!
That's the main issue with Fenty etal, they confuse commitment with blind faith. If you disagree with them, you aren't committed. Unless you agree whole heartedly with breaking laws, you aren't committed. It's ok to be rude and disrespectful to a person because it shows commitment.
How about you get a dictionary RHEE!

Posted by: tformation1 | June 30, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

schooletal and tformation1 - my sentiments exactly.

Posted by: efavorite | June 30, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, fivetogo and efavorite.

Posted by: schooletal | July 1, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

I see the know-nothings have started patting each other on the back.

Talk about people with no ideas just going around in circles.

Posted by: bbcrock | July 1, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

When Michelle Rhee and staff came before the DC Council a few years, an awful and sad portrayal of her being in charge of the Nations Capital school system was front and center. Little and vague documentation of spent money was not just noticed by DC area residents, but also by sharp people everywhere. The top educator of Washington DC school system said " I will do a better job of communicating with Council Members in the future". Light bulbs of the DC area community instantly turned on in judgement of individuals in city power positions.
Looks like strings are pulling the visual props.

Posted by: CTaylor42 | July 4, 2010 3:02 AM | Report abuse

@CTaylor42, I agree with you!

Posted by: fivetogo | July 5, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse