Thieves hit Vincent Gray's home

First, apparent thieves steal two bikes from Mayor Adrian M. Fenty's garage, despite round-the-clock police protection at the mayor's Crestwood home.

Now, burglars have tried to break into the Hillcrest home of D.C. Council Chairman and mayoral candidate Vincent C. Gray.

Gray's campaign reports someone tried to gain access through a basement window Tuesday while the chairman was out campaigning. Gray was summoned home after the alarm sounded, Gray spokeswoman Traci Hughes said.

"His alarm went off and he was notified," Hughes said. "We don't know anything more about who tried to break in. MPD was notified, but I am not sure if they have any leads."

In an interview with the City Paper after the attempted break-in, Gray said he "didn't put aside any possibility" about who the possible burglars were.

But thieves have targeted Gray's home before. In May 2008, Gray reported that someone threw a rock through his basement window as he slept and entered his residence. They stole a radio receiver.

After that incident, Gray installed a fence around his property. But city officials have ordered him to remove, relocate or lower the fence because it exceeds the District's height limits on fences.

--Tim Craig

By Washington Post Editors  |  June 23, 2010; 10:25 AM ET
Categories:  Tim Craig , Vincent C. Gray
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. launches test of open-source online voting
Next: School vouchers and their future in D.C.

Comments

DC crooks are equal opportunity criminals. They have no problem whatsoever burglarizing public officials.

Posted by: dcisajoke | June 23, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I thought Fenty and Lanier said that crime was down in the District.

Posted by: fivetogo | June 23, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like some Watergate poop to me!

Posted by: GoldCoast | June 23, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

wow!

Posted by: drfields | June 23, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

My Gosh. You can't make this up.

Posted by: ceefer66 | June 23, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

We D.C. residents are all doomed!!!!!!

Posted by: Ward4DC | June 23, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

wow!

Posted by: drfields | June 23, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Is this why Nickles wanted that fence gone. To facilitate a Peacaholic fact finding "mission".

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | June 23, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I posted on a blog the other day that Mr. Gray should be careful for him and his family. I don't trust Fenty and I also don't trust Ron Moten. I read the article about him the other day, and we as DC residents should be afraid. As scripture states, "What's Done in the Dark, Shall Come to Light."

Posted by: samvped205 | June 23, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

to concernedaboutdc

I love your post at 4:12PM. Just perfect.

Posted by: fmurray200111 | June 23, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse