DeBonis: Fenty donors put their mouths where their money is in first TV ads

Christopher Dean Hopkins

(Cross-posted from DeBonis.)

On Friday, Mayor Adrian Fenty (D) is debuting TV commercials touting his commitment to affordable housing, small business and neighborhood development. Fenty himself appears in none of the ads, leaving unidentified District residents to talk up Fenty's record.

But these aren't exactly man-on-the-street testimonials: Two of the three ads feature folks with close ties to Hizzoner -- including city contracts and fat campaign checks.

Read the full post and watch the ads at Mike DeBoni's is blog -- here and here.

By Christopher Dean Hopkins  |  July 9, 2010; 4:34 PM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election , Mayor Fenty , Mike DeBonis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Council digs into Banneker deal
Next: Orange issues 'Orange Plan' for leading council

Comments

DEBONIS - do you just write political gossip?
or are you a journalist that researches facts.
you write the most wreckless, self-serving articles, and are really making me sick.

Would it be too difficult for your to write something that has relevance to the campaign?
i.e. Education or health or lets go more basic, an issue. Are you really a paid gossip columnist that couldn't get yourself on tv?

You are a vile disguise for a journalist.
PS... i can't wait to see the day you would ever get a by-line in the New York Times... pretty soon you will be writing for a publication with a circulation of 100.

Posted by: pdv1 | July 9, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

PDV1 are your hurt by this article for reporting the truth about King Fenty? King Fenty will go down soon and will get kicked out of his kingdom. Most black D.C. voters hate this vile arrogant piece of a human being. King Fenty will reap what he has sowed.

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 9, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Fenty is absolutely correct that these massive undertakings and projects were done under his administration. But what he fails to realize is that BLACK people, his voters made no money from it. This is why Black voters are going to punish him so badly. They hate his guts.

In 2006, candidate Fenty came in the neighborhoods and promised jobs and a better way of life for Blacks who were left out of the mix with Anthony Williams' boost to the economy machine. He gave small contracts to community organizers to sell his campaign to the people. It worked! The community organizers made a couple of thousand during campaign season to sell us out! He paid workers $10 per hour to volunteer. It was decent because many were out of work. It was better than nothing. We believed in Fenty's scheme to make jobs available once he became mayor. We fell for Fenty - hook, line and sinker. Allegedly, he paid the homeless $100 for votes. So really, Fenty didn't OWE anything. It was pay as you go.

Now mayor Fenty was another character. He betrayed people who got him in office; fired hundreds of Black permanent workers or management staff and replaced them with young professionals (mostly white or gay); brought in an Asian to oversee our school system when our relations with that community were about to explode; he did not demand that employers stop hiring illegal immigrants to work on these massive projects that he brags about and hire qualified, skilled, ready and able to work Black people.

For these reasons and more Black people are going to stomp on Fenty. But what we've got to make them realize is that Gray is just like him. He "rubber stamped" everything that Fenty did. The Council also allowed employers to hire almost a 100,000 illegal immigrants to work and live in the District while other jurisdictions are enforcing laws to stop this. Not one council member or the mayor has introduced legislation to protect the citizens against the onslaught of illegal immigrants taking American/Washingtonian jobs. All of the current elected officials need to be defeated so they can spend the bribery money they took.

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 9, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Ward4DC,

Really, will you shut up? Dude, you have posted the same crap to every article to come out about Fenty for the last two years.

It is clear that you have a very personal grudge against the Mayor. He is just a politician. Why are you acting as if he is a rapist or something? Stop Ciber stalking the Man.

You just make up ridiculous accustation.

Fenty must be about the same age as you. And he is from the same ward. Perhaps you are jealous of him or something?

Honest people can disagree. But, You are just an irrational hater.

Posted by: politicalrealist | July 9, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Debonis,

Come on man. Get some integrity. I know that your are "delving into the characters" But you are coming off like a scuzzy paparazzi. This is a gossip column. Not news.

Posted by: politicalrealist | July 9, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

politicalrealist, who are you to tell me what to say or post? I have an opinion just like you of King Fenty. The last time I look, we do live in a democracy where freedom so speech is supposed to take place. To h$LL with you and King Fenty. How much is he paying you to kiss his behind? Yes, it is true, I hate this arrogrant sorry individual along with other politicials.

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 9, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

politicalrealist, who are you to tell me what to say or post? I have an opinion just like you of King Fenty. The last time I look, we do live in a democracy where freedom of speech is supposed to be practiced. To h$LL with you and King Fenty. How much is King Fenty paying you to kiss his behind? Yes, it is true, I hate this arrogrant sorry individual along with other politicials. The day he loses in the election, I will tell King Fenty what to kiss and where to go.

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 9, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

I know the small businessman featured in one of the Fenty ads and his firm has received several contracts from the administration. I believe him to be a good guy however and I do not begrudge his success under this otherwise corrupt administration.

Posted by: roscoedc | July 10, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Politicalrealist, Ward4DC isn't the only Ward 4 voter that hate Mayor Fenty. There are a lot of voters in Ward 4 and around the District who happens to hate the mayor and his being such an a%%hole. He disrespected every black women by refusing to meet with the late 98 year old Ms. Dorothy Height. I guess Fenty haven't a white mother, he could careless about black women. His wife don't identify with being black. She states, she was born in London and she's British. Adrian Fenty has divided the District of Columbia by race, sex, and sexual orientation.

Calling all Sorors to the floor. (DST)

It's time for Adrian Fenty to go. Fenty showed disrespect to Soror Dr. Dorothy Height by refusing to meet with her twice. Fenty's disrespect shown to the late Soror Dorothy Height was a slap in the face to the black community. Many members in Delta Sigma Theta Sorority and the National Council of Negro Women registered to vote in the District of Columbia will never forget this.

Rest in peace Soror Dr. Dorothy Height; your work is done on this earth.

Posted by: BrendaMartin | July 10, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Calling all Sorors to the floor. (DST)

Rest in peace Soror Dr. Dorothy Height; your work is done on this earth.

Posted by: BrendaMartin | July 10, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Calling all Sorors to the floor. (DST)

Rest in peace Soror Dr. Dorothy Height; your work is done on this earth.

Posted by: BrendaMartin | July 10, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Correction:

Politicalrealist, Ward4DC isn't the only Ward 4 voter that hate Mayor Fenty. There are a lot of voters in Ward 4 and around the District who happens to hate the mayor and his being such an a%%hole. He disrespected every black woman by refusing to meet with the late 98 year old Ms. Dorothy Height. I guess Fenty having a white mother, he could careless about black women. His wife don't identify with being black. She states, she was born in London and she's British. Adrian Fenty has divided the District of Columbia by race, sex, and sexual orientation.

Calling all Sorors to the floor. (DST)

Rest in peace Soror Dr. Dorothy Height; your work is done on this earth.

Posted by: BrendaMartin | July 10, 2010 1:21 AM | Report abuse

thank you politicalrealist...i support your views, and so does roscoedc...

but, also, again, i am very upset that DeBonis feels that to work as a journalist and to have a byline in the Post.. it has to be a gossip column.

lets all not criticize ads, and where a family is from, but what has been done, and what IS BEING DONE to make this city better,

Look at what you want done in the next four years.. and Debonis you could add to the column by talking about that and not trite gossip on ads, and parking tickets, and if someone is black, but they dont seem to qualify because they grew up in London and Jamaica???

I don't think those facts would have mattered in a bus line 50 years ago.

Posted by: pdv1 | July 10, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

pdv1: Let me be clear. politicalrealist is a supporter of Fenty, I am not...by a country mile. I believe his administration has been corrupt, he has inflated his accomplishments, he has not been a good financial steward and he is a mean-spirited, vindictive man. Yes, like politicalrealist, I believe reasonable people can disagree on a host of subjects but for some, it's personal and that's ok. This is an open forum and folks should be able to argue, vent as they like.

Posted by: roscoedc | July 10, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

politicalrealist, it's obvious you are a Fenty supporter and might be one of his relatives or friends.

I too hate Fenty like so many other D.C. residents/voters. The guy is corrupt and he's an arrogant SOB. If you don't agree with him, he will write you off as District resident and stop his agency Directors from responding, like his boy DDOT Director Gabe Klein. Fenty has place many arrogant white boys in positions who want to talk to to black D.C. residents, as if we are ignorant or children.

Ward One Resident
Native Washingtonian

Posted by: mmatthews1 | July 10, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I absolutely support and respect the Mayor. He has done a great job!

And, WARD4DC, you have the right to write the same insult 5,000 times. It is my right to tell you to shut up and stop lying. You specifically spread that Fenty domestic abuse rumor. And, you shoould be ashamed. The man has children.

Personally, I didn't care for Fenty at first. But, he showed that he is about business. These kids don't deserve the crappy educational system tht they have. I am tired of paying 20K a year for my daughter to go to a private school. I am tired of young blacks having no real future. And Rhee didn't get it moving. Fenty did! Whithout HIM it is a wrap. School Union takes over the shop again.

Fenty has been called TOM for trying to solve the problem at it's root.
I have listened to people lie about him. Attack his reputation as a husband. I have heard him called a thief and a liar. Arrogant. Stupid. Narcissistic. I mean, his critics even lied on Maya Angelou to tear down his name..

So, of my own accord, I thought i would start to go out of my way to point out how full of crap most of his critics are.

I am not his friend nor relative. I do not do business with the district. And, i do think that there are solid reasons to disagree with the Mayor.

But, most of the people that attack him with petty unsubtanitiated rumors on city paper and now, Congrats scummy Debonis, the post....are Public Relations people trying to spread garbage.

Or, like you Ward4DCc, obsessed associates of the mayor high on hater-aide.

Posted by: politicalrealist | July 10, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

politicalrealist, you are a lie. I haven't never spread any rumors about King Fenty abusing his wife. You can go and look at any of my post on the Washington Post blog. As a matter of fact, I've always posted there has been no rumor to these accusations and it's an urban legend. Who in the heck are you to tell me to shut up? This is a free country and the last time I looked, we still are supposed to have freedom of speech. In reference to King Fenty, yes I dislike him for what he has done to me and other Ward 4 voters by kicking us to the curb. We made this guy and campaigned for him. Now he's in bed with white wealthy developers and yes King Fenty has turned his back on blacks. I have never heard Adrain admit he's a black man publicly. King Adrian Fenty does not identify himself as a black man. He used black voters in Ward 4 to get elected. Yes many Ward 4 black voters hate King Fenty. All the evil and vindictive things he has done to others will come back on him ten thousand fold. Once he's kicked out of his kingdom, I tell him what to kiss and where he can go. The place he can go will be where Satan lives.

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 11, 2010 1:50 AM | Report abuse

politicalrealist, and other thing. How could I as one person spread this rumor about King Fenty? Big Tigger on WPGC asked him this question. This rumor was all over the Fourth District, in Shiloh Baptist Church, the District Government, Federal Government, law firms, funeral homes, etc. I don't think I'm that powerful or know that many people to spread such a vicious rumor about King Fenty. It's my understanding this rumor accord during his tenure as the Ward 4 Councilmember. I never fed into the rumors about King Fenty's alleged domestic violence and his sexuality. I do know, King Fenty is childish and is a vindictive monster. He an Grandpa Munster Peter Nickles were made for each other. King Fenty should have been King Fenty's grandfather. After all, the King is half white and prefers Caucasians over blacks.

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 11, 2010 1:58 AM | Report abuse

Correction:

politicalrealist, and other thing. How could I as one person spread this rumor about King Fenty? Big Tigger on WPGC asked him this question. This rumor was all over the Fourth District, in Shiloh Baptist Church, the District Government, Federal Government, law firms, funeral homes, etc. I don't think I'm that powerful or know that many people to spread such a vicious rumor about King Fenty. It's my understanding this rumor accured during his tenure as the Ward 4 Councilmember. I never fed into the rumors about King Fenty's alleged domestic violence and his sexuality. I do know, King Fenty is childish and is a vindictive monster. He an Grandpa Munster Peter Nickles were made for each other. King Fenty should have been Grandpa Peter Nickles grandson. After all, the King is half white and prefers Caucasians over blacks.

Everything King Fenty has done to hurt or mistreat others will come back on him in his life time. I can assure you, once King Fenty fall and kicked out of his kingdom (Wilson Building), he will have no friends, including you a%% kissing self.

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 11, 2010 2:02 AM | Report abuse

politicalrealist, I've seen many of the post made by Ward4DC and he or she has never put a rumor out about King Fenty being involved in domestic abuse. This rumor has been out for several years in the District, PG County, Montgomery County, and parts of Northern Virginia. Are you one of King Fenty's brothers or his father Phil writing this liberal garbage defending King Fenty? I live in North Portal Estates area of Ward 4 and I can tell you, Ward 4 Voters in North Portal Estates, Shepherd Park, Takoma, Crestwood, Brightwood, Brightwood Park, Lamond-Riggs, Colonial Village, 16th Street Heights, and Petworth hate King Fenty. Take a drive around in Ward 4 and you will see many former King Fenty supporters with Vincent Gray signs in their yards. There a many Nupes like Colbert King, former Fenty supporters no longer support King Fenty.

Fenty's refusal to meet with Ms. Dorothy Height angered a lot of blacks in D.C. and across the United States. Adrian M. Fenty is immature and he is too inexperience to be in his position. He's behavior is that of a spoiled child. One example was the baseball tickets. Now he has surrounded himself by the likes of Ron Moten. This is enough to turn off both black and white D.C. voters.

I have 2 Vincent Gray signs in front of my North Portal home in Ward 4. I would vote for Porky Pig or Mighty Mouse before I cast a vote for Adrian Fenty.

Posted by: KappaNupe | July 11, 2010 2:28 AM | Report abuse

@KappaNupe, You said everything I wanted to say. The current mayor is indeed hated by many displaced DC Government workers. Not just workers in DCPS. The councilman Fenty presented himself to the public as a change agent, however, we saw with our eyes and heard with our ears what he really is about, now. I will not vote for a black man, yes, Mr. Fenty, you are a black man, that can turn on his Own hometown, Washington, DC. I had to ask other people where was the mayor born. When I found out he was a native Washingtonian, I was so disappointed in him. The real Fenty is what we see today. The WaPo will not report on anything bad that Fenty does, because he works for them. By the way, @politicalrealist, Fenty was found guilty of stealing a client's money. AG Peter Nickles, Fenty's godfather, got him off on that charge.
The WaPo won't print the truth, but the truth still got out.

Posted by: fivetogo | July 11, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Bye Bye King Fenty! Your days and weeks are numbered. politicalrealist aka Ron Moten, you are trip. How much is King Fenty paying you to comment on blogs showing him support?

Posted by: Dracula1 | July 11, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

What's with all this fraternity and sorority stuff?

Fenty and his frat pals. Gray and his lobbyist frat pals. And even Dr. Dorothy Haight!

Will you people ever grow up?

I was in a fraternity in college and am still in touch with some of my fraternity brothers...and will occasionally offer advice or help to an undergrad or recent graduate.

But there is no place in politics for secret societies. Grow up and get over it!

Posted by: observer9 | July 12, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

What's with all this fraternity and sorority stuff?

Will you people ever grow up?

Posted by: observer9 | July 12, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse