Fenty gets warm reception in Columbia Heights

Nikita R Stewart

Mayor Adrian A. Fenty joined Council member Jim Graham (D-Ward 1) in Columbia Heights for the second time in as many days to mark the beginning of a $700,000 facade improvement project for 13 businesses in the the 1400 block of Park Road.

The area is surrounded by Target, Giant and new restaurants, but the stretch of Park Road has gone largely untouched. The renovations are scheduled to be completed by the fall.

Fenty, who is in a tight battle against chief rival Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray, spoke little Spanish but seemed to be speaking the language of Latino-owned businesses on Park Road.

Ramon Compres, president of the Coalition of Park Road Businesses, thanked Fenty in Spanish and what he described as broken English. He told the crowd: "He going to be four more years mayor."

"Muchos gracias, Ramon," Fenty said to laughter.

"Yo es muy excited," he said to more laughter.

Then he added, "Contento. Jim Graham told me."

In an interview, Fenty said he finds the issues of the city's Hispanic community to be no different than those of other demographics.

By Nikita R Stewart  |  July 21, 2010; 1:14 PM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election , Columbia Heights , Jim Graham , Nikita Stewart , Vincent C. Gray
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Norton gets in heated House floor dispute ... over a New York racetrack?
Next: Orange fundraiser resigns, citing 'negative tenor' of campaign

Comments

Facade is just what it is.

Posted by: bigheadbull2 | July 21, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Can illegals vote in DC?

Posted by: PepperDr | July 21, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Love ya Ramon, but no four more years for Fenty. It's not in the best interest of you or the community you represent.

Posted by: winston61 | July 21, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"Fenty said he finds the issues of the city's Hispanic community to be no different than those of other demographics."

Are you kidding me? Even though most Latinos have legal status, there are also many who are undocumented.

Most undocumented Latinos don't seek help or get assistance from government agencies and non profits because they usually don't speak English and are also afraid of being deported and, therefore, they and their families suffer tremendously.

Fenty is so disconnected because his main priorities are his friends and frat buddies as well as the developers.

Posted by: letsbereal2 | July 21, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Dear lets be real...
thats why he took care of the family with no power?

and if all he was concerned about was the people that voted, he wouldn't have been in Columbia Heights..

I think this shows that irregardless of the color, national origin, or economic status... he cares about all

Posted by: pdv1 | July 21, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

pdv1 you are one suck up.

What is $200 compared the millions his friends have put away for him?

Besides he stole more than that from the elderly man he was suppose to be protecting.

Posted by: dccounselor72 | July 21, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Money for the facade program comes from feds, not dc tax dollars. Fenty uses dc tax dollars to build dog parks and purchase million dollar bike racks for the city's wealthier residents.

Posted by: GoldCoast | July 22, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Letsbereal2, obviously you dont know enough about the Latin Community in DC. Mayor Fenty is widely respected and admired for a large number of reasons including the fact that he is not racist.
Hispanics in DC are a mix of very educated Diplomats working at places such as IMF, World Bank, Embassies, universities,and NIH and economically disadvantage Centroamericans, mostly Salvadorians. While some could be illegal, DC is a city with families that are established or establishing in US. Columbia Heights is a mix of Latino and White affluent folks who share pleasure for Latin food and culture. La Clinica del Pueblo, Mary Center, LAYC, Bell Multicultural School, and other organizations have fostered a sense of belongning and security in the Latin population. People may be concerned now because of the nationwide immigration reform issues but in general people feel more accepted than ever before in DC.
Fenty compared to Vince Gray is much more respected. Gray has done the Latin community wrong several times and is not trusted.

Goldcoast, I disagree with your statement about Fenty purchasing dog parks and other amenities in the richest neighborhoods. I happen to be by the Deanwood area in ward 7 this past weekend and I was very impressed with the new campus and fitness center.
I think is important to defend our candidates but with valid arguments.

Posted by: Laura345 | July 22, 2010 1:59 AM | Report abuse

LOL@PepperDr

You are correct PepperDr, the majority of Hispanics in D.C. are from El Salvador/Central America and aren't U.S. citizens, and they shouldn't be voting in D.C. elections. Liberal Fenty and other liberal D.C. Democratic Councilmembers will allow illegal aliens and non citizens to vote in D.C. elections. They don't check for identification when you vote in D.C.

I could care less what an illegal alien or non citizen Salvadoran/Central American think. They need to return back to El Salvador/Central America and build up their countries and make demands from their governments. I don't think there are any Salvadorans left in El Salvador because all of them are living here in the D.C. metro area with their thousands of anchors babies.

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 22, 2010 3:22 AM | Report abuse

Laura345,

You are comparing recreation centers to dog parks.

How many dog parks have you seen in Deanwoood or east of the river?

Are you in agreement with Fenty and think that folk east of the river don't deserve designated parks to walk their dogs?

FYI, while Mayor Fenty was spending millions on bike racks and dog parks, he in-turn, eliminated funding in the 2010 budget for the Dept of Recreation’s (DPR) Day Care Program.

He recklessly, forced hundreds of low-income families and DPR workers to be without day care and jobs.

DPR’s Day Care Program was funded by the feds and Fenty refuse to apply for the grant all in the name of privatization, which I suspect the contract has or will be awarded to one of His cronies.

Mind you, although Fenty closed DPR’s daycares and senior facilities that provided a needed service to low-income residents, he expanded a program called “Cooperative Play” which is a part-time, play-time program sponsored by DPR that caters to affluent, stay-at-home moms with toddlers in Wards 3, 2 and 1.

Laura345, please know the facts before accusing anyone of posting non-valid points about the soon-to-be Ex Mayor Fenty.

Posted by: GoldCoast | July 22, 2010 3:24 AM | Report abuse

Laura345, let's talk about class and racism based on skin color and hair texture in all Spanish speaking countries in Central America, South America, Cuba, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and in white European Spain. I threw U.S. territory Puerto Rico in the mix because racism exist with some Boricua's too. Afro Latinos are treated like dirt in Spanish speaking countries. Watch this video of how Afro Latinos are treated in Ecuador. Many Salvadorans and Mexicans are racist towards black U.S. citizens and Afro Latinos. I speak fluent Spanish and I can't tell you have many times I've heard racist Salvadorans make racist comments about blacks, not knowing, I too speak Spanish.

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 22, 2010 3:35 AM | Report abuse

I forgot to include the Dominican Republic into the mix. I know many Dominican darker than me with nappy hair will tell you quick, they are not of the black race. They will say quickly in Spanish, soy Dominicano. Dominican is a nationality and not a race. However, many of my Latino friends are Puerto Rican, Dominican, and Afro Cuban. As a black man with over 400 years of ancestry back to South Carolina in the South, I share a black ancestry with many Caribbean Hispanics due to slavery. U.S. black citizens have nothing in common with Salvadorans or Mexicans.

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 22, 2010 3:40 AM | Report abuse

I'm sort of vaguely supporting Gray now, but it should be pointed out that the construction of relatively inexpensive amenities like dog parks and bike lanes will continue no matter who is mayor next year. There's not a sane politician out there who doesn't want to encourage the continued inflow of people with money.

Posted by: 20009matt | July 22, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Watch what you say or do to Fenty he will get you back, he is like a child, "I'll fix you."

ALL ALL of you people working directly under him are afraid of the man. If he say jump, they say:
"How High Mayor Pookie Fenty"

Posted by: SoonorLater | July 22, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

LOL LOL@SoonorLater

You are correct, King Fenty is like a spoiled child. I don't work for the District Government, but King Fenty is a very vindictive man. He has written me off because I didn't agree with the actions of his DDOT Director. No one is going to talk down to me as if I were a child, black, white, or Latino. I am a full grown man with adult children.

Fenty hires a lot of arrogant white gay males who think they can talk down or belittle blacks. I give respect and I demand respect.

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 22, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse