Fenty, Gray duke it out on air

Washington Post Editors

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty and his main opponent in the mayoral race, Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray, were going at it Thursday on a special election edition of the "Politics Hour with Jonetta Rose Barras" on WPFW. The Washington Post's Mike DeBonis is a guest panelist.

Fenty and Gray, who face each other in the Sept. 14 Democratic primary, each accused each other of a lack of transparency and ethics.

Gray pointed to the awarding of contracts to Fenty's friends and fraternity brothers, while Fenty got more specific and pointed to what he described as Gray's meddling in a new lottery contract and his initial decision to strip money from a streetcar program without a public hearing. Gray later found a way to return funding for the streetcars.

During the show, Fenty was backed by a call from Peaceoholics co-founder Ron Moten, who has become a prominent figure in Fenty's reelection. Moten, upset that Gray referred to him as a crony in a news release this week and who likened Fenty to Jesus over the weekend, wanted to talk about the lottery contract before Barras cut him off because of time constraints.

Fenty and Gray also sparred over Gray's record as director of the Department of Human Services during the 1990s. Fenty attacked Gray, first saying, "We have a record of 3½ years of successful running of a city."

He said Gray had "3½ years of being a critic," and then said human services was "run over the cliff."

"That kind of management record shouldn't even be on the same table," Fenty said.
Gray denied mismanaging the agency and said he improved several areas of human services, including homelessness. "I'll put my record against everyone else," he said.

Earlier in the program, when Gray and Fenty were going back and forth, Gray said, "Jonetta's going to be the traffic cop. Start writing tickets."

By Nikita Stewart  |  July 15, 2010; 11:58 AM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election , Mayor Fenty , Nikita Stewart , Vincent C. Gray
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Court upholds D.C. same-sex marriage law
Next: Portion of Gray's fence has come down

Comments

Thanks for the update Nakita. But did Gray have anything to say? I noticed that you didn't include a substantive quote or any attack leveled against Fenty.

For those of us who were relying on reporters like you to report, I guess this means I can safely assume that Gray didn't level any attacks against Fenty. Since again, you didn't mention it.

Posted by: dcis1 | July 15, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

dcis1 - this is probably nothing... Jonetta is one of Fenty's biggest cheerleaders - so I could very well imagine her write up tomorrow... good thing not many read her crap or listen to her.

Posted by: missboo | July 15, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I listened, although not from the very beginnning. From what I heard, Fenty did not answer one question as asked. I can understand why he doesn't show up for forums. Don't look forward to Johnetta being objective. With her as a moderator, there was nothing impressive about the braodcast.

Posted by: candycane1 | July 15, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention Barras probably gave him the questions beforehand, so Fenty had ample opportunity to rehearse his responses and attacks.

Posted by: schooletal | July 15, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: schooletal | July 15, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Can we get a more nuetral and full reporting of a debate next time Ms. Stewart. Fenty's your boy, but give the truth from both sides.

Posted by: rlee4033 | July 15, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

It is interesting how Adrian Fenty always attacks Fenty over Gray's DHS service nearly 20 years ago and yet cannot speak substantively about his own accomplishments without his Blackberry or notes from political handlers.

Perhaps Gray needs to start hitting back and highlight the fact that Fenty had zero accomplishments during his one term on the City Council and that Fenty squandered a $1,000,000,000 surplus he inherited from former-mayor Anthony Williams.

Gray needs to step it up and slam Fenty on his poor record.

Posted by: ashafer_usa | July 15, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I knew of this 'debate' but didn't care to listen to it because of the has-been reporter that was facilitating it. Rose-Barras day in the sun are long over. It is time for her to retire the pen. Her days of objectivity are LOOOONNNNGGGG gone.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | July 15, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I listened in and I heard 2 callers, BOTH commentators, Grey AND KINSLOW make comments that the Mayor STILL WASNT ANSWERING ANY QUESTIONS PUT TO HIM. Councilmember Alexander even called in and REPEATED the question about home rule and yeah Fenty used up his time talking... just not about the issue at hand. The people on the street are saying answer the question Fenty! Grey spent the whole interview responding to lies that Fenty was allowed to make since Jonetta is his buddy and wouldnt write any tickets. Lol. Even knowing ALL that, that the interviewer was partial to his opponent and that his opponents butt boy, opps crony... oops, POLITICAL ADVISOR was going to confront him out side like high school.... guess what Grey still did knowing all of that??????

HE SHOWED UP!

Which is much more than you can say for "couldnt make it happen". Grey wouldn't hide, disappear, agree to do the interview and then cancel at the 11th hour. He showed up and gave all of you the chance to shoot your best shot and all you all could think to do was to act like the idiots that you are. Ranting and raving or shucking and jiving! You all need that contract money bad don't you? lol

ABF 2010!!!!

Posted by: tformation1 | July 15, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Ronald Moten is a rabid animal who needs to be put down and Mayor Fenty thinks we should ALL be more like Ronald Moten.
This man is who I tell my son's NOT to emulate...this is the real Ronald Moten...A cocaine distribution charge sent him to prison in 1991.
Moten began robbing people and selling drugs at an early age and detracting from the positive DC landscape and since that time he has turned his street hustle into multi-million dollar non-profit hustle.
Mr. Moten has just changed the people that he robs; now he is robbing the residents of the District of Columbia through our federal and local taxes.

Watch as this animal pursues his prey.....

Ron Moten gives chase to VCG Today.

Mayor Fenty condones Moten's tactics and states more Washingtonian's should be like Ron Moten.

Posted by: lacairaine | July 15, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Did they play Kanye West's Jesus Walks to introduce Fenty or did Janetta just grab the mic from Gray and say" Sorry to interrupt but Fenty had a better non answer."

This election is a joke.

We have to pretend the current mayor isn't a criminal. Ladies and gentlemen ignore the man behind the current.

I applaud Vince Gray...to go in front of Jonetta who probably smelled like Fenty's cologne...knowing who she is and what she says...take a certain level of power of conviction. It is hard to maintain a straight face.

How does Fenty argue on his record. The best of which was copied from Williams, and ignore his huge failures. And by all accounts Gray won awards for his management of agencies and organizations during tough times.

I am in bizzaro world. DC deserved better.

Gray should have a challenger. His win will be more meaningful with a challenger. And the process of making a candidate fight for it makes it sweeter and more meaningful a win. But that candidate is not Fenty, he is an embarrassment.

Posted by: 411Tibby | July 15, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

This mayoral race is getting bazaar daily. As a D.C. voter, Ron Moten's association with Mayor Fenty is a turn off.

Posted by: CaptainKangaroo | July 15, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Watching the video with Fenty defending Moten was sad. I did not think my opinion of Fenty could sink lower and I now know that I was wrong.

I thought the video of Moten following Gray was appalling until I watched the news conference with Moten putting a young man out front to defend him. As he pumps questions to the young man (questions he had written down), the young man tried to respond and you can tell he had practiced the answers and was trying to make sure he responded the way he had rehearsed them.

Fenty, please keep Ron close to you. The two of you are quite the couple.

Gray ask for police protection right away.

Posted by: dccounselor72 | July 15, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

According to the Post, the only people who spoke in this "Debate" was Ron Moten and Mayor Fenty. Thank you for your pulitzer prize winning coverage. This paper is a joke.

Posted by: PepperDr | July 15, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

ROTFLMAO @ the Jesus Walks comment. There is just four words left to say Town Hall Style Debate. We the tax paying citizens of DC should be allowed to ask both Fenty & Gray the questions.

Posted by: thelildiva4u | July 15, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Ron Moten has become the voice of the Fenty campaign. This guy's ghetto behavior is such a turn off. I wasn't a King Fenty supporter and Ron Moten reinforced why I shouldn't for King Fenty. I thought King Fenty had some class and morals.

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 15, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

i am sorry but this really was a crappy report. I listened to the debate. A lot more happened than in this report. Sorry everyone didn't listen. This crap of a reporter won't do you any justice with her "recap."

Posted by: mamaspearl | July 15, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Correction:

Ron Moten reinforced why I shouldn't vote for King Fenty. I thought King Fenty had some class and morals.

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 15, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

dccounselor72 wrote: I watched the videos and I am shocked and scared for Gray and anyone who dares speak out against Fenty and Moten.

dccounselor72, I too watched the videos on the Washington City Paper website and I concur with your comment.

It appears, this thug was stalking Vincent Gray. How could Adrian associate with someone with such a thug mentality? I wasn't going to vote for Vincent Gray, but I will be casting my vote for him on September 14th, 2010.

Native Washingtonian
Ward 4 D.C.

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 15, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Correction:

Why would Adrian associate with someone with such a thug mentality? I wasn't going to vote for Vincent Gray, but I will be casting my vote for him on September 14th, 2010. I have dealth with King Fenty's arrogance and disrespect towards myself and other D.C. voters, but the Ron Moten situation is to much. I've had King Fenty's cell telephone number for a number of years. I deleted Fenty's cell and home telephone numbers today from my cell. I never want to have anything to do with Adrian Fenty while he's in office and once he leaves office.

Native Washingtonian
Ward 4 D.C.

Posted by: Ward4DC | July 15, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I honestly hope some people would stop referring to Adrian Fenty as King Fenty....that he is not, and the proof of that will come when he is voted out of office on September 14th.

Posted by: winston61 | July 15, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Listen to the whole thing here:

http://wpfw.org/archive/odplayer.php?link=DC Politics 07-15-10 Comp2.mp3

The first hour, devoted solely to another Mayoral candidate, Leo Alexander:

http://wpfw.org/archive/odplayer.php?link=DC Politics 07-15-10 Comp.mp3

Posted by: Trulee | July 15, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I'm 65 and have lived here since the tender age of 2. This election, to my mind, is about education in the District. Do voters want the system they deserve, the system they need or the system they want? For too long it's been the system they want: a kind of advanced welfare department for the employees while the kids faces were ground into the mud. Finally we have a leadership that says, not very diplomatically, that kids come first, others can take a hike. What a refreshing change, unfortunately too much of a change. My advice, swallow your pride offended by the arrogance of this leadership and vote for Fenty and Rhee, not because you love them, but because for too many decades, too many have done so little so diplomatically that kids have suffered.

Posted by: rouveges | July 16, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

rouveges

How many kids do you have or had in DCPS. Your statement "the kids come first" is just a campaign slogan used by Fenty/Rhee to sucker people like you.

Remember, the scores dropped for elementary schools and the "real" results for the secondary schools have yet to be released. Rhee has fired "employees" in the advanced welfare system so I guess she will continue to hire her new energetic, young employees.

Swallow your pride and admit that your defense of Rhee/Fenty is sad. At 65, you should know better than to defend this destruction of the DCPS.

Posted by: dccounselor72 | July 16, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

@winston61: I agree with you 100%. There certainly is nothing regal or royal. It's more like raggedy.

Posted by: candycane1 | July 16, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse