Portion of Gray's fence has come down
D.C. Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray, under pressure from city building inspectors, has taken down the well publicized fence that had turned into a major distraction for his campaign.
Well, at least part of the non-permitted fence came down, his campaign reports.
Last month, the committee ruled that Gray had not provided sufficient justification to exceed the District's height limit on fences built in the public right of way. The panel, charged with protecting the character of the city's neighborhoods, gave Gray two options to act by July 9: lower his 67-inch fence to the limit of 42 inches or move the fence back to the property line.
Gray, who is challenging incumbent Adrian M. Fenty (D) in this year's mayor's race, has huffed and protested the city Public Spaces Committee hasn't treated him fairly. But Gray spokeswoman Traci Hughes said Friday that workers recently completed the removal of the front part of the $12,600 fence to comply with the order.
"A contractor for the city came and said how it should be removed," Hughes said. "He said he needed to take down what's in front, but not on the side."
On Thursday, Fenty used the fence to try to undercut Gray's ethical record. During a radio debate, Fenty said Gray should have known that permits were necessary to build a fence.
No word yet from the city on whether Gray has fully satisfied his obligations by removing the front section of the fence. But if he has, will voters really be thinking of the fence come the Sept. 14 Democratic primary?
Washington Post editors
July 16, 2010; 12:55 PM ET
Categories: 2010 District Election , Mayor Fenty , Vincent C. Gray
Save & Share: Previous: Fenty, Gray duke it out on air
Next: Fenty and Gray again raise ethical questions
Posted by: pdv1 | July 16, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: ObjectiveReader1 | July 16, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: shepDC | July 16, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.