Fenty spends more than $1.8 million in two months to fend off Gray

Washington Post Editor

By Nikita Stewart
Mayor Adrian M. Fenty, finding himself in a contentious race with Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray, spent more than $1.8 million - mostly in television advertising - in June and July.

The rapid spending after months of sitting on millions of dollars leaves Fenty with $1.9 million in cash on hand as the Sept. 14th Democratic primary approaches.

But the mayor's ability to raise money has also slowed tremendously--he has already tapped local government workers, contractors and developers for the maximum $2,000 contributions. Since June 11, Fenty has raised just $308,454, compared to $707,911 raised by his main challenger, Gray, during the same period, according to campaign finance reports filed just before midnight Tuesday.

Gray spent $585,701 in the same period and now has $689,808 in cash on hand. Overall, Fenty continues to crush Gray in his overall total raised: $4.7 million to $1.3 million.

But in a summer contest that often comes down to the campaigning during the last 30 days, Gray appears to be giving Fenty a run for his money. The council chairman has amassed a series of wins at Democratic straw polls, including a victory in Fenty's home ward last Wednesday night. Fenty has blanketed those events with paid staff and volunteers, but Gray has managed to beat him out anyway.

Fenty has most recently solicited donations from supporters by explaining that he needs campaign funds in order to stay visible on television. Gray has no television advertising, but he has received high marks for utilizing social media. He launched his first radio ad last week.

But Mark Zuckerburg, co-founder of Facebook, is in Fenty's corner. The entrepreneur gave Fenty $2,000 as did Facebook chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg.

By by Nikita Stewart  |  August 11, 2010; 7:04 AM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election , Campaign Finance , D.C. Council , Mayor Fenty , Nikita Stewart , Vincent C. Gray , vincent gray
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gray alleges dirty tricks
Next: Gray again distances himself from a campaign volunteer

Comments

Nikita can you please do a post on what % of Fenty's campaign donations have come from outside the District?

As far as Mark...ummm aren't you accused of stealing source codes, hacking into email accounts and being ruthless? I'm just saying. Birds of a feather.....

BTW can't wait to see the movie based on Mark and FB called the social network

Posted by: thelildiva4u | August 11, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Politicalrealist post in 5....4....3...2...1

Posted by: thelildiva4u | August 11, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

I don't care who supports Fenty. I Don't, I live in the District and I vote. That is all that matters to me.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | August 11, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Someone should take a look at those ads.
I believe the one about Rosedale says that Fenty walked the neighborhood 5 times and he gave us what we want. If I'm not mistaken, Rosedale is not being worked on and I think Blue Sky has the contract and they are used in a commercial. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't work stopped at Rosedale because the money was moved to upgrade Chevy Chase?

Posted by: candycane1 | August 11, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Fenty is taking credit for Anthony Williams development and service improvements. He is dumb and hires only kiss but and dumb people.

Posted by: fatflush3 | August 11, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Lildiva

I don't care how much money the unions gave Gray.

It only goes to further my point. Special Interest (and Marion Barry) own Gray. Even Debonis pointes it out. Gray got a ton of Taxi Cab money. Ok, that is a lobby that deserves better representation. We have to go back to the days where they charged you $12 to cross a street if you caught it on the wrong side of a zone.

Or, the WTU, that is a group that I want making decisions in the Wilson Building.

Lildiva, the anticipatory insult was so Citypaper. I had no intention on heckling you today. Too easy. No fun.

You are just doing your job. I know those Union bosses are really pushing you guys hard out there.

Posted by: politicalrealist | August 11, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

PoliticalNovice,

Who owns Fenty?

Posted by: DadofTwins | August 11, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Politicalrealist the post was about Fenty not Gray. So you ok with Bloomberg et al funding Fenty? You don't think that connection is important? You don't question what their interest are in the District?

Posted by: thelildiva4u | August 11, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I am starting to believe that politicalrealist is Fenty or his mother.

This guy seems to troll the blog and post comments that only a mother could love.

Posted by: bnew100 | August 11, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

politicalrealist is out of touch...I dont have a union backing Gray. My friends and I have given just $50. This says a lot b/c it shows a grass roots effort.

Posted by: DCJUSTICE | August 11, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Politicalrealist,
What kind of crack are you smoking? Gray hasn't received zilch from any taxicab union!!!!!!! The cab drivers have nothing to give after being starved out by the Fenty administration. They can't even afford to keep a roof over their own heads.

Posted by: starclimber9 | August 11, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

@Candycane1, You are correct, Rosedale's pool and rec center is still undone. The lady on the commercial must be an actress, not a resident of DC.

Posted by: fivetogo | August 11, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Face it folks, Fenty and Gray are both bad for the city for different reasons. I will not vote for either of them, nor will I vote for immature boy Kwame and his deep debt Escalade. We need some new names, new faces, and new rules.

Posted by: blankspace | August 11, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

blankspace: I agree with you 100%. I'll be writing my name in for Mayor (my vote will be wasted if I vote for any of the actual fools running) and suprisingly for Vincent Orange for Chair. DC has sunk to new lows!

Posted by: NewEra | August 11, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@Fivetogo: Thank you. I'll be blasting that as part of my posting. I just knew it sounded crazy and the Blue Sky man must have been promised the sky because he must be losing money, having that contract and nothing getting done. Thanks a bunch!!

Posted by: candycane1 | August 11, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Touchy touchy Lildiva,

By the way, no I am not related to Fenty. No whites nor carribeans in my family. I think I am related to Vince Gray though, That is what my mother says. Gray looks just like my dead uncle...spooky.

ANyway, most us Creole decendants folks are related. How you think you got all those super yellow negroes got in power when all the other Blacks weren't getting squat. We were free people of color that learned to pimp our "other brothers." Owned funreal homes, hat makers, churches, community banks. Funny huh?

@Starclimber, cry me a river! I have NO sympathy for the Taxi Cab Alliance (I don't think they have a union...maybe I am wrong). You can't get in a cab without them kicking their Anti-Fenty speal while trying to take a extra block to get me where I need to go.

I was in school in the 90's trying to catch a cab to get home. I walked up to a group of sitting cabs. The cab drivers told me to call Johnnie Cochran and have him pick me up.

I used to have to ask white women to hail the cabs for me. I would hide behind a poll so the driver wouldn't wouldn't see me. Then I would slide in the cab and pay in advance.

Now that Fenty has got rid of those meters..they can't pick you up fast enough.
And, guess what. My Cab rides costs the same everytime.

Taxicab drives might be broke. But that doesn't mean they get to charge me $12 to drive me across the street.

Posted by: politicalrealist | August 11, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

All the outside, special interest money in the world can't obscure the fact that Fenty has been a disaster as a mayor, just as he was as a councilman and as a lawyer. He's a showhorse, but once you're elected mayor, you have to produce results for the citizens. He has destroyed everything he has touched, and all the paid ads, paid campaign workers and propagandizing by the Post can not change the fact that he has damaged the city with his cronyism and incompetence. Has anyone noticed how much Fenty and Rhee remind one of Bush and Cheney?

Posted by: mcstowy | August 11, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I see all the whiners about Fenty and have come to the conclusion that since he is a responsable manager of the city and not footing your bills because you are to lazy or stupid to do so yourself you just don't like him.

Posted by: Pilot1 | August 11, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Even after king fenty spent 1.8 million on advertisements over the past two months he still could not win a straw poll in his backyard, where the voters know him best.
All his henchmen (Ron Austin, Ron Moten, Sinclair Skinner and Bill Lightfoot and Gabe Klein) were standing at the entrance to the church (surprised a bolt of lightning didnot strike him being that he is the antichrist) taking notes on who was voting.

Despite pulling out all the stops king fenty was dethroned in Ward 4.

Posted by: dcgovcorruption | August 11, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

And, lildiva,

I will give you a little insight into the world of the Adam Clayton Powells, Thurogood Marchalls, Dutch Morales, Drew Jarvis's, and most any policitian with a name that ends in "eaux"

There are also a bunch of books on the subject.

You know how to tell a real elite Creole?
One that thinks other blacks are embarrasments? Some , infact, will tell you that they are not Black. Ones that think that "regular" Blacks are tools for thier self advancement The ones that will say things like "i am for the people...not of the people."

Big Sign: They look so white that they can join white organizations (like fraternities) and disapear from the Black community completely. And, actively pursue doing so.

Vince Gray white enough to be a real "passer." Especially with the little "conk" he has.

So, the fact that Vince Gray joined a white Fraternity. The fact that he did that during the civil right movement tells you what he really thought about being Black at that time.

Maybe he has changed. Maybe I am wrong. But, I can't help to think that he is like some of my older family members. He is cynically appealing to the most base instincts of the Black community in order to get what he wants.

Posted by: politicalrealist | August 11, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Pilot1...not smart to call people stupid when you can't spell. Just because people's opinions differ, doesn't mean they are stupid.

I thought a responsible manager of the city would at least be able to present a balanced budget each year. Every budget he submitted to the Council was a mess and the councilmembers had to fix it.

Posted by: DCJUSTICE | August 11, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCJUSTICE | August 11, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fatflush3 | August 11, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------

Great Post!

Posted by: Sincear2021 | August 11, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Gray should have started his campaign earlier. He would have more money. He can't win this one without $. He needs a better message than 'I'm not Fenty.' And why is the Washington Post taking straw polls seriously? -- seriously. They are great for pumping up the volunteer base but have no value when it comes to predicting voter turnout and gaging public opinion (you know the actual purpose of a real poll). It would be great if the D.C. media would take this race seriously. The last real poll done in this campaign cycle was done in January! How about a real poll Washington Post?

Posted by: MikeMIke3 | August 11, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Bahahahahaha at politically-unreal. Dude you have some major issues.

Co-Sign DCJUSTICE "Politicalrealist, seriously? Gray is too white?!? He may have "passed?" You are so far reaching and lack any true substance with your nonsense. All this race baiting is ridiculous. You infer so many things about Gray, but have no facts. You complain about the taxi cab union, but admit you dont know if they have a union. Check your facts and leave your BS at the door."

Please keep posting...you lose more and more creditability with each post.

Posted by: thelildiva4u | August 11, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

politicalrealist is an escapee from Saint Elizabeths Hospital. He needs to go back to continue his treatment. He's in love with King Fenty.

Posted by: Ward4DC | August 11, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

After 4 years of giving out big money Fenty is getting big money back. It's been all about money and if he is re-elected it will continue to be all about money. (along with no accountability, no investigations, more lawsuits and, jesus, more peter nickles)

Posted by: mjvdc | August 12, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse