First day of voting spirited

Washington Post Editors

Holding a campaign sign over his head, Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) was surrounded Monday morning by volunteers and workers, chanting, "Four more years!" outside the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics on the first day of early voting in the Sept. 14 primary.

Supporters for Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray rebutted with the sing-song: "...hey, hey, hey, goodbye."

But the Gray campaign was outnumbered as Fenty's supporters grew louder.

More than a dozen labor unions and organizations that have endorsed Gray are scheduled to join the chairman for a news conference at 9 a.m. in front of the government building at Judiciary Square.

Fenty's Ward 4 campaign coordinator Josh Lopez spoke into a megaphone: "Old and washed out. Linda Cropp in 2006. Vincent Gray today."

A Washington Post poll published Sunday showed Gray with a 17-point lead among likely voters, and Fenty acknowledged his underdog status.

Monday morning, Lopez highlighted the mayor's accomplishments, talking about the city's win last week of $75 million in the Obama's Race to the Top education reform grant competition.

Today through Friday, voters can cast their ballots at one site -- One Judiciary Square, 441 4th Street, N.W. Beginning Saturday, four additional early voting locations will open from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. They are:

• Chevy Chase Community Center, 5601 Connecticut Avenue, NW
  • Hine Junior High School, 335 8th Street, SE
  • Southeast Tennis and Learning Center, 701 Mississippi Avenue, SE
  • Turkey Thicket Recreation Center, 1100 Michigan Avenue, NE

Early voting centers will not be open Sept. 5 or Sept. 12. Voting locations will be open on Sept. 6 (Labor Day).

Voters can also request absentee ballots by going here. Requests for a mailed absentee ballot are due Sept. 7.

--Nikita Stewart and Lori Aratani

By Nikita Stewart  |  August 30, 2010; 8:45 AM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election  | Tags: dc mayors race, fenty campaign
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fenty wades into 'Big G' controversy
Next: Excerpts: Columnist Robert McCartney on mayoral race

Comments

I am disappointed in Josh. Lopez used to have substantive things to say. Now he is spewing fear-mongering rhetoric from his mouth. Protested and called for the termination of UDC President Sessoms for his dictator-like style but praises Fenty for his. #Hypocrite

Posted by: lilscooby09 | August 30, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

lilscooby09

I agree with you; amazing how they walked around for four years with this big plans for the city..most consisted of friends or close friends, college buds and crooks..everyone true colors are going to show when the $$$$$ runs out...get Fenty and his New Jack City crew out of DC...don't look at us now...let your college buds save you..

Posted by: shadon1 | August 30, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Josh, I don't care what you think, but how about some finese? Linda Cropp is old enough to be your Grandmother. A child should stay in a child's place.

Posted by: wiseupdummy | August 30, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I went to vote early this morning at the Board of Elections. I didn’t have to wait too long before they called my number. As I was standing there, in walks Ron Moten with a senior citizen. Ron Moten stood next to me. This guy is ghetto street trash. Josh Lopez should be ashamed of himself and his racist mean spirited politics. Josh is no different from Ron Moten.

I don’t trust any of the other voting places. I wanted to go directly down to the Board of Elections to make sure my vote was counted and I used paper to vote. They asked for my D.C. Driver’s License and they scanned the code on the back of it. I officially vote for Vincent Gray.

Early D.C. Ward 4 Voter

Posted by: Ward4DC | August 30, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I waited about 20 miutes to vote. I have to say that the behavior of many of the Fenty Green Team people was disgraceful and bordered on intimidation. The Fenty guy with the bullhorn disrupting the Vince Gray rally was rude as hell and was trying to provoke a fight. This does not reflect well on the campaign.

Posted by: PepperDr | August 30, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

I voted today. An elderly woman told me she was in a group of 3 buses brought in to vote for Feeney.

Posted by: ElRosas | August 30, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Fenty cabal chanting "Four More Years!"

Are they forgetting that was Nixon's slogan? All the've succeeded in doing is in reminding me of the comparisons between Nixon and Fenty--imperious, arogant, bullying, focusing on pet issues too much, deaf to what the citizens want, etc.

Posted by: BlanketyBlank | August 30, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

GRAY MATTERS — It is now abundantly and absolutely clear that Mr. Fenty was as much an empty suit four years ago as he is now. Now that many older and newer District residents have reconciled that reality, Mr. Gray will rightfully become the next Mayor of D.C.

Once again, integrity, actually listening to people, realistic ideas, follow-through, and effective governance still matters in the District of Columbia. Much success and more to Chairman Vincent Gray. — Dennis Moore, Former D.C. Mayoral Candidate

Posted by: POTUSWorld | August 30, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Josh Lopez's remarks show an abundance of demographic ignorance. "Old and washed out" should never be applied to a stateswoman like Mrs. Linda Cropp, former Chair of City Council and President of the school board. Further, she is not running against former Mayor Fenty.
There are a lot of smart senior citizen voters who are not buying, "the younger, therefore superior man image."

Rosalind Taylor