Moten tries to boost Fenty with music video

Tim Craig

Ever wonder what Peaceoholics co-founder Ronald Moten does all day? Here's a partial answer. Mayor Adrian Fenty's No. 1 booster has put the mayor's campaign message to music with a new theme song that hits on all of his opponent's perceived weaknesses.

The video includes children holding up four fingers (for four more years), various scenes of city neighborhoods, and lyrics by Wali, aka Big Wax. Moten also makes several appearances in the four-minute video.

Earlier today, D.C. Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray (D) released a television ad that singles out Moten as one of Fenty's cronies. Moten, an unofficial Fenty campaign strategist, said his video is his response to the Gray campaign.

When The Washington Post asked Moten who paid for the video, he replied, "I've got friends to do that ... it don't cost much."

Moten added that Gray's commercial has mobilized his friends across the city to become more engaged in the campaign.

"Tell Vince Gray, I said 'thank you'," Moten said. "He's created a whole army."

By Tim Craig  |  August 25, 2010; 2:12 PM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: No reregistering as Democrat on primary day, board rules
Next: Current newspapers endorse Gray

Comments

Moten is simply the idiot king, he just does not get it. He is the gift that keeps on giving. Sorry, most out here are waiting to vote to kick Fenty out of office and Fenty won't leave you because he will be all yours.

Posted by: winston61 | August 25, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

this is so so sad!!

Posted by: samvped205 | August 25, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

An Army full of kids with 4 fingers up... yeah - they can vote !!! Where are the parents when you need them?

Posted by: missboo | August 25, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Wow... I cant believe they would stoop so low as to use the S Cap St shootings against Grey (the council chair) when the parents of those kids are so very upset with Fenty and how he handled it. And Ron how many of the shooters were supposed to be under your care/supervision at the time of the shooting? This is just rediculous and I can't wait until we say good bye to Fenty, which means we wont have to deal with his "thug nation crew" anymore.

You are an embarrassment to black men in this country. They already have so many obstacles while working hard to make something of themselves and here you are, putting out this image that they are all like you. WELL THEY AREN'T AMERICA! We are just as embarrassed and discusted by this fool as you are. Please dont take it out on every other young black person that you encounter.

Posted by: tformation1 | August 25, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Fenty's alliance with Moten and now this video should be enough to turn intelligent voters who are currently planning to vote for Fenty against him. They may not cast a vote for Gray but instead will not vote at all which is just as effective for getting Gray elected.

Fenty is his own worst enemy and apparently isn't listening to his campaign manager because a campaign manager with an ounce of common sense would tell Fenty to tell Moten to disappear.

This is actually quite comical!

I hope Fenty will use the next 4 years while Gray is mayor to do some self-reflection and growing up. Maybe after that he'll be a good mayor.

Posted by: UrbanDweller | August 25, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I have to admit that I posted my first response BEFORE I actually watched the video. I just watched it. Can someone please call 911 for me because I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe!

I think Fenty just lost MANY votes with this ridiculous video. I hope it gets lots of airtime on the local news!

At this point, I think all Gray has to do is sit back and count the votes.

Posted by: UrbanDweller | August 25, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

This flunky of Fenty (Moten) is a joke , I visit my daughter in Linclon Heights 3-4 times a week , and didn't notice any of the pissy hallways , dope fiends and dealers in the video.Then again Fenty probably gave him (Moten) some more pocket change to pay them to leave that day. This is another example of Fenty not relating to the black people of this city.It used to be Barry would be there in person, and not send some flunky like Moten who is actually taking advantage of the people from the hood. The next time you see Fenty or his gang of flunkies tell them your neighborhood is still infested with the same drugs ,junkies,and horible living conditions that were present when he became mayor. I voted this man in however, I will drive as many peole as possible to the polls to help get this jerk out.

Posted by: allensmith1 | August 25, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Watching this video makes me want to vote for anyone except for King Fenty. I've never seen such ghetto trash in my life. When one lay down with dogs, they will get up with fleas.

I am hoping more D.C. voters will see or watch this garbage.

Posted by: Ward4DC | August 25, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Are the Peaceaholics supporting Vince Orange too? I saw the yard sign in the video. Guess that's their slate?

Posted by: 1tenforall | August 25, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

crack is a helluva drug

Posted by: Priapus10@hotmail.com | August 25, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

But I don't see Jim Graham in the video, bobbing his head to the funky beat.

Posted by: starclimber9 | August 25, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe the people in this piece of trash cannot see that Ron Moten is using them. This is crap. Where are the parents of the kids in this travesty?

Rack up more votes for Gray!! Ron Moten is the gift that keeps on giving!!!

Posted by: diahhna | August 25, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

God, please save the city from this THUG. I hope the kids exploited in this piece of trash were at least paid well.

Folks can you imagine what Moten will do if Fenty is reelected? Too scary to describe.

Fenty, you are one desperate fool.

Posted by: guylady201001 | August 25, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Garbage IN....Get this Garbage OUT on September 14!!!

Posted by: lacairaine | August 25, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I use to like that song.

Posted by: wkitout | August 25, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I will be dancing all the way to the polls on Sept 14 and Election Day.

I will be voting for Vincent Gray.

Posted by: 2belinda | August 25, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Bye bye Mayor Fenty. This black Puerto Rican D.C. voter will not be voting for you. Mayor Fenty, you have turned out to be an jerk and loser. Do you have any feelings for your fellow human beings or do you only care about you inner circle of wealthy friends/supporters like Bill Lightfoot? I am speechless on the subject of Ron Moten. I don't understand why the mayor would want to partner up with Ron Moten. Ron Moten is helping to destroy Mayor Fenty's re-election. I watched the video and I couldn't believe what I saw on it. LOL

I truly wish you well Mayor Fenty after you leave office. We just don't want to see you again in our neighborhoods.

Brightwood Resident
1977 Howard University Graduate
Ward 4 D.C.

Posted by: ricanndc | August 25, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

We don't want rap videos.We want safe streets,youth programs,job training programs, so we can apply for the jobs that you're have RIF,TERMINATED, OR FORCE OUR PARENTS and GRANDPARENTS to retire in them positions,so you can hired non D.C residents in them position.The flim-flam is over.It's time to put someone in office who cares about the people of D.C.The guy is a good rapper but the substance and facts of the rap song need to be truthful.

Posted by: quita1286 | August 25, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

This is an ILLEGAL campaign ad!!

DC Office of Campaign Finance requires the "paid for by” disclaimer on campaign materials.

The ad doesn’t disclose who paid for it and the public has the right to know. Was it Fenty, Peaceoholics or Moten?

**Everyone needs to call the Office of Campaign Financing to report Fenty’s & Moten’s blatant disregard for DC campaign regulations and demand that the ad be removed from YouTube.**

The Office of Campaign Financing can be reached at (202) 671-0547. You don’t have to leave your name.

Posted by: GoldCoast | August 25, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I would like to thank those who wrote all of the comments so far. A special thanks to tformation1 and GoldCoast. I will be calling the number you provided first thing in the morning. I am begging anyone else who cares to do so as well. I am so deeply upset that I cannot say much right now. My friend lost her only child that night on March 30th. A beautiful child. My friend, her family and those who were close to her daughter will live with this pain for the rest of their lives. Ron Moten and all those involved in creating this video have crossed a line. It is indecent and an awful thing to do to the families and the memory of those children who were murdered.

Posted by: mjvdc | August 26, 2010 2:18 AM | Report abuse

The email address for the Office of Campaign Finance is ocf@dc.gov

Posted by: mjvdc | August 26, 2010 2:35 AM | Report abuse

This is garbage and not worthy of any additional analysis!

Posted by: TalkingBack | August 26, 2010 6:50 AM | Report abuse

This is an embarrassment. Even if this is not endorsed by Fenty. He is really desperate. What has Fenty really done for Ward 7 & Ward 8? This video really makes me think some shady deals were (are) made with Fenty and Moten

Posted by: dcnative45 | August 26, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Whats with the stoner chick featured throughout? Was she asked to move away from the 7/11 again?

BOEE should FINE Moten into oblivion for this. Its too late to do anything about its distribution, it remains to be seen whether it helpd Fenty or Gray.

What is really obvious is that the Fenty cronies are running scared and getting really PO'ed having their entitlements crumble. The whole Fenty effort is taking on a really nasty, angry air.

Posted by: SoCali | August 26, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I hope people are clear on the fact that if Fenty winds up back in office, Moten may well wind up in some position of authority in this city. The thought of Fenty being re-elected is frightening, but the fact that he could be in office with Moten in his ear is downright dangerous. If it means you have to take a day without pay, haul your kids around with you, or whatever -- please, please, PLEASE folks --make yourself available to help get people out to vote for Vincent Gray on primary day! This city, its citizens, and certainly its children cannot afford to have Fenty at the helm ever again!

Posted by: Tootsumi | August 26, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

It takes some serious nerve for Ron Moten to mention the South Capitol Shootings in a music video.
Peace-a-holics?
More like Press-a-holics.
Especially when "Mayor" Fenty was nowhere to be found in the months and years leading up to the tragedy that claimed the life of those innocent people, including Brishell Jones, the daughter of my dear friend Nardyne Jefferies.
A tragedy that perhaps could have been avoided if Mr. Fenty had taken the multiple requests of many people including Ms. Jefferies to heart, or had even bothered to respond to the numerous e-mails requesting his attention to the escalating violence in the city.
How is it Chief Lanier,Commander Maupin, and Asst. Chief Grooms managed to respond to every e-mail and yet you could not be bothered to respond to one?

I am beyond shocked and offended that not even five months after Ms. Jefferies buried her daughter...when she is just beginning to attempt to build some sort of life without her beloved child...those wounds are ripped open again for the sake of "PR" and she is slapped in the face with the fact you couldnt be bothered until it was too late for her daughter.
Shame on all of you.

Posted by: DelilahS | August 26, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

What about the children in the background? They are probably the children that lost affordable daycare when Fenty abruptly closed all the daycare centers operated by Parks and Recreation. This program was funded with federal dollars and had no need to close. Hundreds of children and families lost free and/or subsidized care and over 100 people lost their jobs because of these closures. So how is he "now" a strong advocate for the welfare of our youth if he had no regard for our children aged 6 months to 17 years old just 9 months ago?

Posted by: tj1965 | August 26, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Ron Moten and Johar openly support Kwame Brown not Vincent Orange. The Peaceaholics slate is Adrian Fenty and Kwame Brown.

Posted by: calimanindc | August 26, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

The next time they make a video about East of the River they need to talk about the high unemployment rate and how many people in Wards 7 and 8 were RIFed or layed off under the Fenty Administration. Now that is something to SING and DANCE about.

BTW, sometimes in life you need to go back before you can go forward. However, in this case I agree with the video "to not go back... to four more years of FENTY". Now that is music to my ears!

Posted by: msjudgejackie | August 26, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. To be honest, if I weren't Black I would laugh; a good hearty, stomach-aching, tear inducing LAUGH.

I am Black though, which makes me utterly embarrassed by that hoodlums antics. SMH!

I have to second a previous comment in saying that Black folks "are just as embarrassed and discusted by this fool [Ron Moten] as you are. Please dont take it out on every other...black person that you encounter."

SHAKING.MY.HEAD.

I will conclude by saying if folks east of the river vote for Fenty based on what Ron Moten is telling them, then they deserve all that Fenty has in store for them (OR NOT as the case may be) over the next four years. Dummies! Read a book for goodness sake!

Posted by: anonymous72 | August 26, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

This video does more harm then good for the Fenty campaign. Notice that this article calls Morten an "UNOFFICIAL FENTY CAMPAIGN STRATEGIST." Moten himself don't realize that he is being played to get the thug vote.

Fenty has done absolutely nothing for Ward 8. The last thing they need is another Basketball court. What they need is skills and/or education.

Moten, the Pied Piper of the stupid.

LOL - "Don't leave me Fenty...." HE WAS NEVER THERE!

Posted by: Special_One40 | August 26, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

... an append to my post; Those fools don't even have the talent or integrity to write an original song for this video.

Sampling music is stealing! Think about it.

Posted by: Special_One40 | August 26, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

.... also, at the end of this video, shouldn't Fenty appear and say; "I'm Adrian Fenty and I approve this message".

Oh, that right, it's Unofficial!

Posted by: Special_One40 | August 26, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Can a jaw drop any lower?

The sheer audacity of ANYONE from the Fenty camapaign suggesting that Gray will take us back when this poverty pimp puts out crap like this.

"After the SE massacre, Fenty looked after us...."

Yes nutball, he did, after he was forced to return from his Carribean vacation.

"But Gray never showed up, when 6 were laid, he was making sure WCS got paid.

Guess again imbecile Wali, doesn't WCS own most of the vacant areas in SE. Didn't WCS own the land now occupied by the 400k homes on MS Ave? So how exactly was Gray making sure they got paid?

This is buffoonery at it's utter finest. A blast from the past line of poverty pimps who pimp the black community. That is what Moten's campaign is all about.

"If you take Fenty away from DC, we'll go backwards/That'll be crazy"

If tomfoolery had a name, Ron Moten, fenty campaign strategist extraordinaire, would be it.

He may as well had propped shop at the local corner liquor store.

Posted by: dcis1 | August 26, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Ok...CAMPAIGN FINANCE, where are YOU!!!! This video needs to say "Paid for by..." Also, to utilize the music of another artist without his expressed permission is ALSO illegal...C'mon Suge Knight, they are stealing from you, Pac has been gone some time now and I know they didn't contact you to see if they could use his trac for this IGNORANT, INSULTING, THUGS and DRUGS video and the lady in the white shirt is DEFINITELY high at this taping. Why is Ward 2,3,4 and 6 not screaming about this type of campaigning and dumbing down of ANYONE who see's this CRAP!!!

Remember, Mr. Moten, your candidte is "supposed" to be the education candidate and yet he is promoting this UNEDUCATED IGNORANCE as a depiction of what is important to black voters, what an insult.

This how the Gray campaign influences young people and encourages them to stay in school and enlightens them. Check out Ms. Legend Van-Field (2nd Grader and Gray supporter)

Posted by: lacairaine | August 26, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Please forward this video to every Fenty supporter and undecided you know and maybe they will reconsider wasting their vote on Fenty.

This is a clear indication of what DC residents will get if Fenty is reelected-- a mayor controlled by THUGS.

Here's the direct link: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dc/2010/08/moten_produces_music_video_to.html

Posted by: dcnatives | August 26, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

... Fenty, I'm sure would like to stay 4 more years, but it's not up to Fenty.

Perhaps they should write a rap song to the DC Voting Public.

After Fenty is voted out, maybe he will have time to hang with the Homeboys. Attend a few rap concerts, strap on a 9mm, and hang out for 4 more years.

Also, maybe he can move into their hood!

Don't leave them Fenty, that would be crazy.

Posted by: Special_One40 | August 26, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Ron Moten, how dare you use the South Capitol St Massacre to promote your policial agenda. This so very, very disrespectful to the families of the children who were killed, wounded and tramatized on March 30.

You are nothing but snake s**t.
I'm too upset to continue writing.

Posted by: impat1210 | August 26, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

This could be a hit if you subsitute Pookey for Fenty, and correct the inaccuate statements.

Posted by: Special_One40 | August 27, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

After Fenty loses the election, they can change the lyrics on this video. Replace Fenty with Pookey.

...don't leave me Pookey!

Posted by: Special_One40 | August 27, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

ron stop kiss his a..

Posted by: msfredbass | August 27, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!!!!! Fenty Has criminals making video's for him,,,all of them been in jail..yes even monten. like i said WOW!!!

Posted by: jjallday1 | August 29, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

HOW HIGH ON DRUGS IS THE GUY IN THE WHITE T-SHIRT??? EVEN THE BABY AT THE END WOULD TAKE PART IN THIS VIDEO.

Posted by: cherita_whiting@yahoo.com | August 30, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

These ain't criminals. These are REAL DC RESIDENTS who have been here for LIFE. Y'all don't have any respect....SMH.

That being said, I can't vote for Fenty because I was kicked out of my apartment which was converted to condos by Petworth Station. So, I was basically forced to move to PG County because I could not find affordable housing.....But if I was still in the City, HECK NO to Fenty. I voted for Cropp in the 1st place........

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 30, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse