Bowser left out of the party

Tim Craig

This post was updated on Friday, Sept. 17 at 12:25 p.m., to include comment from Office of Cable Television.

The D.C. Council threw a bash Wednesday night, but Muriel Bowser (D-Ward 4) was left out -- even though she was there.

Hundreds crammed into The Park at 14th nightclub in Northwest for the annual council party to kick off Congressional Black Caucus week. The party morphed into a celebration to honor D.C. Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray's victory over Mayor Adrian M. Fenty in Tuesday's Democratic primary.

Gray stood for hours greeting a crush of well-wishers. Many guests said they showed up just to rub elbows with the city's soon-to-be next mayor.

But there was one conspicuous image flashing on all three floors of the club throughout the night. Television screens streamed photographs and the names of Gray and all the other council members, except Bowser.

Numerous guests noticed her absence, and viewed it as a deliberate snub of the Ward 4 council number. Bowser strongly supported Fenty's reelection, and now some Gray supporters say she will be their top target in the 2012 election.

Gray won Ward 4 with nearly 60 percent of the vote, a potentially troubling sign for Bowser's hopes for reelection.

Bowser, who attended the party, said she had "no idea" her name was missing from the list of the council members. "I don't know anything about a screen," she said.

Karen Tolson, director of Television Programming for the Office of Cable Television, has taken responsibilty for Bowser being omitted from the video. Tolson, whose office created the video, called it "an unfortunate oversight."

"We have made the necessary corrections and apologize for any inconvenience experienced," Tolson wrote in an email to Gray's staff.

By Tim Craig  | September 16, 2010; 1:53 PM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election, Vincent C. Gray
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gray camp responds to Rhee
Next: Fenty says no to GOP nomination

Comments

i hope this isn't a sign 2 come. Gray and his new set of cronnies. ms green and her family hands are already making move just like the old NEW FENTY crew did when he first got elected. MARK BARNS CLUB bab signs already. Bret GREEN , ms GREEN son is a Mark Barns groupy. u thought FENTY crew had attitute,watch these fools. these people are very vindictive,i hope 4 our city somebody get in his ear.

Posted by: alleyes | September 16, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

i miss my mean point,and that why her name was left off the list. they have no problem disrespecting a sitting councilwomen or anybody else. just watch. u will see a turnover at the ABC,in the next 90 days when Gray take office.

Posted by: alleyes | September 16, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I live in Ward 4 and most of us are sick of Councilmember Bowser. She is Fenty in drag. She has a nasty attitude, is rude and has disappointed people with her leadership style. She and her staff were too busy campaigning for Fenty than returning constituents phone calls.

I hope the council snubs her because she is vermin. She needs to go. Just like her boy Fenty!

Posted by: monica1st | September 16, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they just posted councilmembers who actually do work for their residents.
Signed a Ward 4 resident! we know best!

Posted by: cherita_whiting@yahoo.com | September 16, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I also live in Ward 4 Fenty lap dog will soon be gone too. do she think she will win again? i will be vote her out

Posted by: ruckoneword | September 16, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

"do she think she will win again?"

Wow, gotta love the lack of subject verb agreement there. I won't even get into the punctuation issues. First and only language people, let's master it, rather than be mad at Rhee for wanting our city's children to hold the golden ticket of education.

Was Jack Evans noted on the video? He endorsed Fenty, too.

Posted by: LMNOpls | September 16, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

@ LMNIOpls,

A monkey given absolute power can come in and fire lots of teachers and close schools. That's not hard work NOR is it school reform.

Michelle Rhee only taught in a class room for 3 years. She has no degree in edcuation. She has no Masters or PHD in education. She doesn't even have a certification for teaching. Yet, she's the Chancelor of DC Public Schools? Am I missing something?!

Posted by: monica1st | September 16, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Ward 4 here too. To call Bowser a lap dog is an insult to lap dogs...at least they bark using their own will. Bowser wouldn't do anything without Fenty's approval.

Posted by: hoos3014 | September 16, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I too live in Ward 4 Washington and the Ward 4 D.C. Councilmember Muriel Bowser days are numbered. Now that her King Fenty has been fired by the majority of D.C. voters, she too will be fired in 2012. Many Ward 4 residents don't like or care for Bowser. She too will be banished from the kingdom (Wilson Building) like King Fenty.

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 16, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I live in Ward 4 too and I'm concerned about Ms. Bowser and her lack of response to constituents. I have been trying to get a response from her office all week about a Ward 4 meeting at My Little Bistro on September 25th. I am also concerned that she voted with Fenty on every issue brought to the council.

Posted by: saj1219 | September 17, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

The above comments only reflect what will become of D.C. under Gray and his cohorts on the Council - cronies, non functioning in a healthy and progressive manner but rather back to the good old days of never hold anyone accountable nor let progress be made. Re Ms. Rhee and her qualifications, sounds like a fired or unlicensed teacher speaking out against her. Regardless of her qualifications Rhee and her style and her staff made more progress in improving the quality of education in DC than any other former supervisor; she closed schools needing closing, made repairs long over due for which the council never did, and she brought on board teachers and administrators with one common goal - to do a better job of teaching the children than any other had - in other words she held people and the union accountable - and this got the results. She may not have a specific degree but she has leadership abilities. Her departure will be DC's loss of a huge magnitude, sad to say.

Posted by: davidmswyahoocom | September 17, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

lmao @ monica1st...

All you need to look at is results. The fact that only 8% of DC students were reading at an 8th grade level is a criminal. Those teachers need to be fired and parents need to stop making excuses and be held accountable. The schools had actually improved and if you look at Ms. Rhee's history, she improved Baltimore City school's test scores in the three years she taught there. What happened after she left? The scores went right back down. Thank God for private and charter schools outside of the city. No wonder the city will never move forward until the residents start thinking about progress instead of hand outs. Gray will bring back most of the fired teachers. No wonder the teachers union is so excited. Half of them were just collecting a pay check. If your child isn't learning, your children's teachers and you as a parent aren't doing your job.

Posted by: hsj3 | September 17, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I'm NOT nor have I ever been a teacher.

DC schools will continue to improve with or without Rhee. I would like for her to stay but I won't be mortified if she leaves.

Rhee is more a marketing machine than anything else. She's the media darling. Education's "It" girl. She's like the Madonna or Lady Gaga of school reform. No real qualifications, lots of flash (firing teachers and closing schools) and excellent PR/Media spin. All this television, magazine cover stuff, appearances on Oprah is too over the top for me. I think her ultimate goal is to get her own reality or talk show. She's probably in talks with Bravo TV. "The Real Educational Chancellors of the South and Mid-Atlantic" Somehow Fenty's arrogant, turtle lookin' a.s.s will hijack the show!

Anyway, Rhee lacks the qualifiations, cognitive substance, wisdom and culturual sensitivities to lead LONG-TERM, SUCCESSFUL school reform. Why is she so adamant about teachers being credentialed when she's not credentialed herself? Does anybody see the hypocrisy? Maybe she should lead by example?!

Yes, Rhee has had marginal success but that's because she was given the opportunity, leverage and ability to do so. In the past, DC Chancellors were not able to do what she did. So, that's why things stalled.

Again, any monkey can do what she did. monkeys, chimpanzees, orangutans, Michelle Rhee or whatever ... she ain't special!

PS Muriel Bowser needs to go! She is Fenty in drag!

Posted by: monica1st | September 17, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

How childish to leave her name out off the lists and exclude her. Is Gray's staff made up of the mean girls from highschool? I certainly would like a bit more professionalism, grace and intelligence displayed by the staff of the newly elected Mayor. He should make a public apology - regardless of her political views, this type of behavior makes everyone associated with Gray look bad.

Posted by: sunnybful | September 17, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

As a ward 4 resident, I'm done with Bowser. During this election she acted a fool. Just ask anyone who saw her on the campaign trail. I saw her at the Ward 4 straw poll and it was sad how she acted.

She forgot during this election she was the council member for ALL of ward 4, not just those in green. I had hope for Bowser, but it soon disappeared.

Posted by: DCJUSTICE | September 17, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Ward 4 resident and never supported Bowser. She should be nervous. All I hear around this ward is, "She's next" and I wholeheartedly agree. Her job was to support Fenty and not to work for the taxpayers of Ward 4.

Posted by: candycane1 | September 17, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

If not Muriel Bowser, who? I honestly think she's been pretty attentive to stuff in my neighborhood.

Posted by: andy16H | September 17, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Bowser is bad and her staff is horrible. The one time I contacted her office for help with a problem with the DMV they were completely dismissive and rude. The only thing they did do was keep my e-mail address and add it to their list and bother me with junk-mail. I will actively work against her, so she's gone.

Posted by: blankspace | September 17, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

DCPS are some of the worse in the nation for a reason, the parents! Bottom line! The citizens of the city do not demand the best. They except the status quo. Mayor Barry did a lot of good for a lot of people in the city. I bet he could win again if he was eligible to run. Why anyone in their right mind would elect him again is beyond me. They look at him like one of their homeboys instead of someone that was put in office to improve their livelihood. Gray is cut from that same cloth. All politicians reward their friends and supporters, Gray will be no different than Fenty. Even Pres.Obama's appointments tend to come from his hometown of Chicago. That's politics. Fenty gave to his frat brothers, Gray will give to his friends/family and in 4 years, they'll be electing another new Mayor to do the same.

Posted by: hsj3 | September 17, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

hsj3 said “Do you need a degree in teaching in order to know how to run a school system? Matter of fact most people that have attended college end up working in a different field than they studied. Bill Gates & Michael Dell do not have degrees in business or computers, yet the run two of the most successful computer companies in the US.”

Ummm does a doctor need a degree to work on patients? FYI-Read outliners if you really want to know about the history of Bill Gates, but just in case you don’t take my advice and READ please know that Bill Gates was given the very thing that Rhee belittles parents.

His family was upper middle class; his father was a prominent lawyer and mom served on many boards. See Bill had access to a great education; he went to Lakeside School, an exclusive preparatory school. In 1968 the Mothers Club at the school used proceeds from Lakeside School's rummage sale to buy an ASR-33 teletype terminal and a block of computer.

Did you READ that 1968. Gates took an interest in programming and was excused from math classes to pursue his interest. Bill took advantage of numerous opportunities to continue to learning computer programming (the book explains all this).

“DCPS are some of the worse in the nation for a reason, the parents! Bottom line! The citizens of the city do not demand the best.”

hsj3 said Ok you don’t need a degree to run a school systems in your eyes and DCPS parents are dumb for asking for a leader who has a degree and experience in teaching.

GTFOH

Posted by: thelildiva4u | September 17, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Notice how the Rheeformers are running from article to article posting their support of Rhee and hatred of DC voters.

Give It UP.

Posted by: guylady201001 | September 17, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Since the topic has moved from Ms. Bowser (not a fan) to Ms. Rhee let's state some facts here: Rhee really hasn't reformed a thing. She closed schools that were already identified under CLIFFORD JANEY'S MASTER FACILITIES PLAN. The minute gains in student performance are a result of CLIFFORD JANEY'S MASTER EDUCATION PLAN. We would have seen more gains if more of the teachers originally trained to the new standards were still in place. System to order textbooks to arrive 6 months in advance and have them barcoded before delivery? CLIFFORD JANEY. Firing people is not reform - especially when you fire quite a few which had not even had performance evaluations.

Posted by: dcremaxagent | September 17, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Bowers needs to move to Ward 3 and consider running against Cheh since she is more concerned about the children in t Ward 3, than the ones in Ward 4.

On the 1st day of school in 2009, Bowers was in Ward 3 holding a sign that asked drivers to slow down, kids are crossing.

She is Fenty in drag!

Posted by: dc4metoo | September 17, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I live in Ward 6, however I was raised in ward 4 and my parents continue to live there. I 've watched Fenty's hand picked replacement and I must say, she is the worst councilwoman I have ever seen. Bowser seems to agree with, introduce and try to pass any legeslation that Fenty wanted passed. It is so blatant that one would think that she was on Fenty's staff. I suppose Fenty never told her that she was elected to represent all residents of ward 4; not to simply carry out his agenda. I look foward to supporting anyone who challenges Bowser in 2012. Now that Fenty is out, I doubt that Bowser will run; however, if she does I am there to support her opponent. Put simply she is just dumb!

Posted by: JUDGEWRIGHT1 | September 18, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

I agree with dc4metoo and Judgewright1

Bowser was more concern with pleasing Fenty than wishes of her constituents.

All the Ward 4 residents I know want her OUT!

Posted by: GoldCoast | September 18, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Long time ward 4 resident here (30+ years) and I've gotta agree with the consensus; Ms Bowser is an empty suit. She's mealy mouthed...probably because she doesn't know what she's doing. Like others here, once Fenty lost my thoughts turned to her being next.

Let me propose something: Its time for term limits. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sick of lifetime politicians. DC residents voted for it before and the council voted against it in one of those big brother moments of "for your own good". Disgusting.

Posted by: DC_Original | September 18, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse