Fenty completes Nation's Triathlon

Eli Reyes

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty completed the Nation's Triathlon this morning, less than 48 hours before Primary Day polls open.

He finished in about 2 hours and 44 minutes -- well off his personal best pace of 2 hours, 19 minutes set at June's Washington D.C. Triathlon, which is held on largely the same course. Rain greeted competitors before the 7 a.m. start before lightening into a steady mist.

( Photos: Scenes from Sunday's triathlon. )

The winner, Robert Wade of Arlington, finished the race in 1 hour and 57 minutes. The Nation's Tri is an "Olympic" length event, combining a 1,500-meter swim in the Potomac River with a 40-kilometer bike ride up Rock Creek Parkway and a 10-kilometer run around Hains Point.

fentytriathlonp.jpg

Fenty crossed the finish line in West Potomac Park shortly after 10 a.m. He left without taking reporters' questions. Later today, Fenty is expected to appear at the annual Adams Morgan Day festival before attending a premiere of a documentary film featuring schools Chancellor Michelle A. Rhee and then heading to tonight's Washington Redskins game.

What Fenty will not be doing is engage in a longstanding tradition of city politicking and visit Sunday religious services ahead of election day. Fenty's main rival, Vincent C. Gray, is visiting several churches yesterday and today and criticized Fenty for not doing so himself.

Fenty has been a stalwart support of large-scale athletic events in the city. He is a friend and training companion of Chuck Brodsky, the organizer of Nation's Tri and the D.C. Tri, whom Fenty also appointed to serve as chair of the city alcohol control board.

Signs posted around the finish line read, "World Class City; World Class Triathlon; Adrian Fenty, Mayor."

-- Mike DeBonis

By Mike DeBonis  |  September 12, 2010; 11:54 AM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fenty campaign: Gray supporters lure voters with gift cards
Next: Gray vows to reestablish religious office

Comments

Who gives a hot f--k.

Posted by: guylady201001 | September 12, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"Mayor Adrian M. Fenty completed the Nation's Triathlon this morning."
-------------------------------------------

Who's footing the bill for the police? The city? At Fenty's direction?

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | September 12, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

After Tuesday, King Fenty will become a priavte citizen in January 2011. He will have plenty of time to jog, ride his bike, and run in races on his time. Good riddance to Adrian Fenty. He seem to afford the issue of race and he want speak the truth why so many black voters in D.C. now hate his guts or dislike him. I truly don't think, Mayor Fenty identifies or see himself as being black. I do know, King Fenty doesn't have any black ancestry in the United States and can trace his ancestry in the U.S. back to slavery.

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 12, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Correction:

After Tuesday, King Fenty will become a priavte citizen in January 2011. He will have plenty of time to jog, ride his bike, and run in races on his time. Good riddance to Adrian Fenty. He seem to avoid the issue of race talking to Mark Poltin on WTOP radio recently and King Fenty will not speak the truth regarding why so many black voters in D.C. now hate his guts or dislike him. I truly don't think, Mayor Fenty identifies or see himself as being a black man. I do know, King Fenty doesn't have any black ancestry in the United States and he can't trace his ancestry in the U.S. back to slavery.

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 12, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I was at the Nation's Tri earlier today. It was a fantastic event and well organized. It really brings an amazing event to the City and for that I appreciate it.

I also appreciate a Mayor who takes fitness so seriously. It encourages kids to get off their behinds and start being active, a key focal point for Mrs. Obama's plans for all school children.

Gray doesn't care for fitness and can barely probably walk to his campaign events. As he's being shuttled from church to church, with most of the church goers who are coming in from Maryland and Virginia, our Mayor is actually doing some good for the City and for fitness. I addition, he has a packed say of events as I see from the article at Adams Morgan Day and the Skins game.

The choice is real simple this election. As the WP editorial board has continually stated, Fenty is the right choice for DC.

Posted by: DCMoney1 | September 12, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

...and as I read comments from readers, I must mention the obvious. The Mayor is bi-racial. He is proud of that as he should be. Do Gray supports really want to talk about black or white? What the hell is Gray? He looks to be a mix of Martian with a little bit of What the hell is wrong with his face put together.

You cant tell me he doesnt look weird. Really, if you want to talk about black and white, lets look at what the hell Gray is.

Posted by: DCMoney1 | September 12, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Who cares how much or what kind of black ancestry the candidates have?

Posted by: efavorite | September 12, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

@DCMoney1: A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | September 12, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Seems the mayor is off on his athletic game as well as his politics game.

And I'm not sure why this was newsworthy anyway.

Posted by: UrbanDweller | September 12, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

DCMoney1,

Do you appreciate Fenty giving $600,000 of your tax dollars to the National Marathon? Here's an excerpt from the City Paper regarding Fenty waiving security fees for selected events that benefit FENTY:

"Fox 5's Paul Wagner wins the morning with this investigative piece about the city's apparently new practice of waiving police security fees for certain events, like the National Marathon. "In the last two years, more than $600,000 has gone uncollected, money that should have been paid to the city for security at special events." The marathon, Wagner notes, attracts enough runners to generate at least $700,000 entry fees, yet the city waived about $200,000 in police costs last year. "

In reference to the WP editorial board, everyone that post here knows they are a joke and why they endorsed Fenty.

Posted by: GoldCoast | September 12, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Argue policy if you will, but voting for someone based on who their ancestors are or what church they go to? That's just wrong.

Posted by: kcx7 | September 12, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Why does the Post feel the need to issue what amounts to a second endorsement of the King today? Enough already. We get it. You're in the tank for him. Maybe you'll have a JOB waiting for him in January because he's gonna need one.

Posted by: ssmd11 | September 12, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Fenty is out and he knows it and could care less about visiting churches. He will leave office and perhaps get a job with Ron Motens organization or perhaps get some residuals from his frat brothers.

He also could fall back on his wife's paycheck, he has done it before! Also, he could get a job at Peter Nichels law firm.

Dude has options.

Posted by: Special_One40 | September 12, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Wow! King Fenty lost the race, like he is going to lose Sept 14! Bye Fenty thank you for your service.

Posted by: drfields | September 12, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

@DCMoneyl wrote:
"Gray doesn't care for fitness and can barely probably walk to his campaign events.

As he's being shuttled from church to church, with most of the church goers who are coming in from Maryland and Virginia, our Mayor is actually doing some good for the City and for fitness. I addition, he has a packed say of events as I see from the article at Adams Morgan Day and the Skins game."

Gee and the Post accuses Gray supporters of choosing style over substance? I do not choose whom I vote for based on physical appearance. If you must go there, Fenty ain't all that!

I do prefer to have a mayor who is physically fit and Mr. Gray (who continues to play in local sandlot leagues) still has athletic vigor. In addition, Mr. Gray has displayed a level of intelligence and integrity that the mayor totally lacks.

As noted in another reader's post, the mayor waived the fees that the marathon would normally pay. Thereby decreasing city revenue by several hundred thousands of dollars. This has probably come to light because it is an election year. I suspect there have been waivers of the same nature in the past.

In closing, if you buy the Post's endorsement, I have some swampland I would like to sell.

Posted by: sheridaw | September 12, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

ColdCoast1 wrote: "Mayor Fenty was voted one of the nation's fittest, yet he never addressed nor implemented any policies to combat DC’s high obesity rate among teens."

Bravo, sir! THAT is the kind of thing that Fenty should be spending tax-payer money on. He should be combatting serious health problems in DC, such as AIDS, obesity, teen pregnancy, etc. Has Fenty ever even acknowledged any of these problems?

Posted by: thebandit | September 12, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Ward4DC, President Obama can't trace his ancestry back to slavery either. Does that mean you don't think he's a real black man? Did you decide not to vote for him because of it? I certainly hope provincial sorts like you are in the minority, and that most DC voters will choose based on job performance and policy issues instead of the prejudice you are displaying.

Many black voters do feel that Fenty has ignored or downplayed the needs of their communities, and their feelings have some merit. Yours, however, have none.

Posted by: gmg22 | September 12, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Tons of Fenty supporters at the Adams Morgan day festival trying to had out stickers with his name for residents to wear. My answer to that:

Vote for him? I won't unrinate on him if he were on fire. I agree with a comment I read yesterday. He is of marginal intelect and low character. Hey, Chicago needs a mayor. There is a City use nuts.

Posted by: revots | September 12, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

All of us have witnessed the progress the has been made in 1) improving public schools, 2) increasing public safety, and 3) enhancing city services over the last 4 years. No one has disputed this progress - not even the Mayor's challenger. Every DC resident benefits from better educated youth, safer streets and more responsive government services. And you would benefit to have this progress continue for 4 more years by voting for Mayor Fenty.
Personally, I have had the chance to interact with Adrian Fenty. From those experiences, I can attest to his sincerity in wanting all DC children and families to reach their full potential by having the same opportunities as his own children and family.
In any job you have, you want to be judged on your performance and the quality of your work. You desire that the substance of your work product be held in higher regard than flaws in your personality. I ask that you consider the job of Mayor in the same manner. Your vote for Mayor Fenty is a choice to promote performance, which leads to positive outcomes, as the true standard for elections.
-------------
[1] Data-based analysis on enhanced city services:
"We see substantial improvement in average response times. In 2000, it was taking the District upwards of 40 days to respond. By 2009, that figure was down to 11 on average." (excerpt from A Colorful Race)
[2] Endorsements for Mayor Fenty from the Washington Examiner, Washington City Paper, and Washington Post:
(a) "As a result, there is a disconnect between what Fenty has done and how he is perceived. But on matters of substance, which will determine whether Washington becomes a truly livable place for residents of all races and in all wards, Fenty has a decidedly positive track record. Under Mayor Fenty, Washington suddenly has a palpable sense that the city’s major institutions and neighborhoods are finally moving in the right direction. People haven't felt this way for decades." (excerpt from Washington Examiner Endorsement)
(b) "Making nice with the old guard, alas, is a key Gray [Mayoral challenger] tactic. He hasn’t argued that Fenty is a failure—to the contrary, he makes Fenty’s case by failing to criticize the mayor on substantive policy grounds. When we asked Gray to name three Fenty policies he’d overturn, he struggled to come up with one, dinging Fenty (politely) for giving short shrift to the University of the District of Columbia in his education efforts." (excerpt from Washington City Paper Endorsement)

Posted by: jmc39 | September 12, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

To WARD4DC, who posted:

". . . I truly don't think, Mayor Fenty identifies or see himself as being a black man. I do know, King Fenty doesn't have any black ancestry in the United States and he can't trace his ancestry in the U.S. back to slavery."

Would you please STOP posting BS like this?? Who cares what color the Mayor thinks he is and whether he has black ancestry in the U.S.? Barack Obama doesn't have black ancestry in the U.S. either. It doesn't matter! I'm voting for Gray but I find ignorance like this highly annoying because its simple race baiting. I think I know what point you are trying to make but there is another and a better way to do it.

Posted by: LoveTheCapitol | September 12, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

gmg22 and LoveThe Capitol, President Obama has said publicly, he's a black man. The President has discussed race and racism in this country. I have known King Fenty for 10 years and I have never heard King Fenty say, he is a black man nor have I heard King Fenty address race or racism. King Fenty made his own bed by dividing this city by race and class. Adrian Fenty act's one way when he's around wealthy whites in the Palisades area of Ward 3 and he acts differently around low income blacks or blacks in general. I am disappointed with King Fenty and I truly wish he would disappear out of public site. I do know, if I ever see King Fenty after he loses the election, I will curse him out and tell him what to kiss.

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 12, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the vein that throbs in Fenty's skull. It wriggles like a worm when he is mad.

I don't think Fenty had that worm when he started out. Maybe he got too skiny, because you usually don't see veins like that on young people.

Honestly, who the heck cares about these things? If I liked Fenty, I wouldn't worry about the worm. I am for Gray and I think he looks fine for his age. He is fit and lively. I wonder if Fenty will be that fit twenty years from now?

Posted by: tacard1 | September 12, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

gmg22 and LoveThe Capitol, how dare you to tell me what I should say or not say by having an opinion of the Mayor of the District of Columbia where I live, pay taxes, and vote. Most black politicians do attend or belong to a church. President Obama belonged to a church for over 20 years in Chicago and so did former President George Bush. Former D.C. Mayor Anthony Williams is Catholic like me and he too attended Mass. I have never heard of King Fenty attending a church, but he showed up at Shiloh Baptist Church to honor the late Dorothy Irene Height, the same woman he was alleged to refuse to meet with twice. The heck with King Adrian Fenty. All the bad karma is coming back on him for the way he disrespected or was nasty to citizens and D.C. Government workers. I know first hand how nasty an arrogant the King and some of his young white arrogant Agency Directors can be. I told the King, no one is going to belittle or disrespect me regardless of their race. Yes race and racism exist in D.C. and in the United States. I witness every time I visit the new Georgetown Safeway on Wisconsin Avenue, NW in Ward 2 and the Whole Foods on Wisconsin Avenue, NW in Ward 3. Young 20 and 30 something whites act as if they are God's gift to the planet and they don't have a care in the world. Blacks will always be marginalized in this country and in Europe. On the issue of race, white liberal United States Senator Harry Reid stated, whites in America feel most comfortable with light skin or mulatto articulate Negroes. These are not my words, but the words of a U.S. Senator.

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 12, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Dear TACARD1:

Surely you are kidding.
Vincent Gray shakes while he walks, talks, and moves his hands...

He does not believe in fitness.. and will be borrowing Carlos's segway before too long.

Posted by: pdv1 | September 12, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

ward4DC - I wish you'd back off. You're entitled to your opinions, just like everyone else, of course, but I really don't think Vince Gray would feel good about the way you're presenting your views to the public.

I care that Gray is a good, honest, experienced, intelligent civil servant who knows and cares about the city. That is enough reason for me and others to vote for him.

I could care less about his or Fenty's religion or ancestry.

Posted by: efavorite | September 12, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Gray is a former and current baseball player and is very fit.

Posted by: efavorite | September 12, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

efavorite, I will not back off. You don't own this blog and you can't tell me what to write and how I feel. Yes, I voted for Vince Gray August 30th at the Board of Elections. I voted for him because I dislike Adrian and I want him to lose. Both Vincent Gray and Adrian Fenty are two liberal Democrats who supports illegal immigration, gay marriage, and other liberal BS. I am a registered Democrat, but I am not a liberal and I support civil unions, not gay marriage. I would have preferrred to have voted for Leo Alexander because he has spoken out against illegal immigration and it's affects on black U.S. citizens in construction jobs and in the service industry. Therefore efavorite, you back off and keep your negative opinions to yourself.

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 12, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

WARD4DC - there is no hope for you. I agree with efavorite - I am sure Vincent Gray and his campaign would not want to be associated with you. You present as a person who is narrow minded, paranoid and believes the "man" is always lurking in the shadows trying to "keep you down" - even at Whole Foods! LOL! I hope people realize that you do not speak for Vince Gray supporters such as myself.

Posted by: LoveTheCapitol | September 12, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

LoveTheCapitol, I don't need Vince Gray or King Fenty, but both these liberal fools need or asked me for my vote. I am not paranoid and I see how some whites towards me as I shop at Whole Foods on Wisconsin Avenue, NW and at the Georgetown Safeway. They give me looks as if I am not supposed to shop at these stores. I look at many of the arrogant whites and gay white males living in D.C. and most act like they don't have a care in the world and they are the superior race. Unfortunately, there are blacks like King Fenty and others who will always treat whites better than blacks.

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 12, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

LoveTheCapitol and efavorite, I think you are being too hard on WARD4DC for having an opinion on how he or she feels without making personal attacks. There are a lot of black Washingtonians and blacks in general that share WARD4DC feelings. Colbert King wrote an article in Saturday's Washington Post about race and class and how Mayor Fenty hired most unqualified young whites in his Administration.

I assume you both are white? If so, you have no idea what's it's like being black in America and especially being a black man in America. Let me re freshen both of you guys memories, WARD4DC was correct about U.S. Senator Harry Reid making the remarks about President Obama being light skinned with no Negro Dialect. Please read the attached article. These comments shows how many whites liberal or conservative in the United States feel about black U.S. citizens.

Posted by: mmatthews1 | September 12, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

WARD4DC is a spokesperson from the Gray Camp! You just can't disown all these folks. Are you going to disown Cora Barry now that she's giving out $10 gift cards to people to Giant to vote for Gray?

This was a spirited discussion, but at the end of the day the Black folks in DC don't think Fenty is "Black enough" and I hear a lot of "He did us wrong."

WHY and HOW do you think he has done you wrong? Do you all know that the entire World is in a BAD economy! I truly hate when Gray says things like we need to get people back to work in Ward 8. No shi*. Gray is simply a politician that will say anything to get elected. ANYTHING. Gray, are you going to put all these folks on your payroll and increase taxes? We have WAY too many DC workers already. FENTY CUT THAT DOWN!

Fenty has substance but most importantly HE HAS DELIVERED RESULTS. FOUR MORE YEARS OF FENTY.

Posted by: DCMoney1 | September 13, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

I saw an episode on CBS "Touch By An Angel" years ago where God turned the white Angel Monica into a black human woman. Some rednecks attempted to kill Monica because she was black and Monica told God, she wished she was white again. I cried after watching this episode, because being black is a curse. The late Rosa Parks was in this episode entitled "Black Like Monica".

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 13, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

LOL@DCMoney1; I can assure you, I don't work for Vincent Gray or King Adrian Fenty. I volunteered once for King Fenty 10 years ago during his run for the Ward 4 Councilmember against Charlene Drew Jarvis. If I knew what I know now about King Fenty, I would haven't never volunteered or supported him. My candidate of choice was Leo Alexander because he had the courage to speak out against illegal immigration and illegal aliens working in the District of Columbia in construction and the service industry. I live in this madness daily here in Ward 4. I have seen my former middle class black neighborhood turn into a Salvadoran barrio and many of the apartment building being overcrowed. I decided to vote for Gray to make sure King Fenty doesn't get back in. I don't expect nothing from Vincent Gray nor do I want to get to know him as I did with the King. Not only has D.C. gone downhill, but the entire United States is or has gone to he%% in a handbasket. With 20 million illegals in the United States from mostly Mexico, El Salvador, Dominican Republic, and from other Central and South American countries hasn't help. According to the United States Census, in less than 20 years, our country will be a majority Mexican and Central American. Hopefully, I will be dead and buried by then.

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 13, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

definitely it is true that major brands always give out free samples on health products get yours from http://bit.ly/9fz66r tell your friends also

Posted by: davidboner13 | September 13, 2010 3:59 AM | Report abuse

Well that will make two races he loses this week. Go Skins !!!!!!!!

Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!
Run or pass and score -- we want a lot more!
Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,
Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!
Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won
Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!
Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!

Posted by: msdooby1 | September 13, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

He looks like Kerry did in that windsurfing outfit.

Posted by: ElRosas | September 13, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Good thing Fenty can run fast. He's going to need to when he's investigated for corruption.

Posted by: WhisperingWind1 | September 13, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

a donkey and a horse fought to be king

both battled to near death, but neither could win

they agreed to let their offspring be king

to this day, the kingdom has always been ruled by an ass

Posted by: confucius_say | September 13, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

This is important to the people who appreciate the sport of triathlon. Fenty's involvement is important to bring awareness to the sport, which supports the Leukemia and lymphoma society.

Posted by: mcuya | September 13, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mcuya | September 13, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mcuya | September 13, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

=======

Good point, rather than spending his time setting an example, he should be waving his magic wand and forcing DC's parents to actually parent their kids by giving a fsck what their children eat.

Why won't he do it?