Fenty says no to GOP nomination

Washington Post Editors

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) said Friday afternoon that he will not seek re-election as a Republican, even though he won the GOP nomination after more than 800 voters wrote in his name on their ballot in Tuesday's primary.

Repeating statements he made before he lost the Democratic nomination to D.C. Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray, Fenty said he plans to remain a Democrat. On Thursday, Fenty formally endorsed Gray in the mayor's race.

"Today's news of the Republican nomination is a recognition of the great progress this city has seen over the past four years," Fenty said. "While I am humbled by the nomination, I will not accept it. I believe the best days of the District of Columbia lay ahead, and I will work with Chairman Gray, the Democratic nominee, to ensure that the progress continues and this belief is realized."

After the Board of Elections confirmed earlier this morning that Fenty had won the GOP nomination with 822 write-in votes, it gave him until 4:30 p.m. to decide whether he would accept the nomination and switch parties.

Robert J. Kabel, chairman of the D.C. Republican Committee, sent out a statement this morning urging Fenty to run as a Republican..

"If he were to accept the Republican nomination, the DC Republican Committee and the 29.728 District Republicans would overwhelmingly support him," Kabel said. "I suspect that the 73,178 registered independents would also welcome the idea."

-- Tim Craig

By Tim Craig  | September 17, 2010; 4:48 PM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election, Mayor Fenty
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bowser left out of the party
Next: Did Norton fundraising call violate rules?

Comments

To Kable: In your dreams, the nightmare is finally over.

Posted by: winston61 | September 17, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Write in Fenty ... democrat

Posted by: pdv1 | September 17, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey Democrats,

ACLU sues to keep Alpine schools trustee in race.

ACLU sues to keep Alpine schools trustee in race.

BYE BYE

DEMOCRATS

Posted by: kstobbe1 | September 17, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

pdv1, get over it, King Fenty lost the election and he knows when to quit. Adrian has a lot of mending to do in the black community and here in mostly black Ward 4. Many Ward 4 resident/voters hate or dislike Fenty's guts.

Posted by: ConservativeDemocrat | September 17, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

All of us who do not approve of Gray and his hate campaign can write in Adrian Fenty as Mayor. The republicans and the independents who have not been heard in the primary can express themselves.

Posted by: voter20 | September 17, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Voter20 you are a typical white bitter racist. If you don't like Vincent Gray and blacks, move back to the mid west in your all lilly white hick town in Iowa somewhere. I am sick of whites thinking they know what's best for blacks and they are the superior race. Get over and go live with white U.S. racist Senator Harry Reid. It was this U.S. Senator that stated, whites in America feel comfortable with light skin Negroes. How racist were these comments Voter20? Did you and other whites email Senator Reid's office on his racist comments?

Posted by: ConservativeDemocrat | September 17, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

ConservativeDemocrat

Speaking of racist....it works both ways! You clearly call the whites you encounter "honkey" when you are in the privacy of your insular world.

I love how all whites are racist when they disagree. But that doesn't give you license to rail against someone who wants or likes Adrian Fenty. Crime is down, ineffective teachers have been fired, the city is better overall(which is who the Offive of the Mayor represents, not just the Black majority wards). Save your own prejudices for yourself.
Fenty wasn't the best mayor in the world, he gave contracts and special treatment to his friends. He was definitely not inclusive overall. But he got results, and that my friend is what an executive should oversee. I hate the fact that people criticize him because he wasn't black enough. OH no he was a triathlete(very white of him)! That is the most blatant show of racism out there. I bet Obama isn't black enough for you too! You must like crime in your neighborhood, or crappy unionized teachers that mail it in and don't care about kids.

Posted by: bmdugan | September 17, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

This city is a Democratic stronghold, we do not take kindly to conservative Republicans. Only a liberal Republican can get elected here, that's the way we like it. We always need a balance to the ultraconservative Commonwealth of Va. The vast majority of the populace will not support a Democrat who believes in and fosters class divisions in this city. That's why Fenty lost. Fenty did the correct thing in turning down that unwanted Republican nomination. The irresponsible, nihilistic, jaded, narcissistic Republican minority will never ever dictate District of Columbia politics.

Posted by: MadasH | September 17, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Fenty being endorsed by the Republican party only reiterates what people had felt all along about the uneven gentrification of the city. They loved it, even if Fenty did not want to acknoledge it. Progress is good as long as it affects everyone in a positive way.

Posted by: lidiworks1 | September 17, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Fenty has shown how to loose with class too bad Rhee can't/won't take his example.

Posted by: rlj611 | September 17, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't care for Fenty and I didn't vote for him on Tuesday. I'm a White Ward 6 voter so it didn't fall completely along racial lines as WaPo wants us to believe.

However, I respect Fenty for endorsing Gray, declining the republican nomination and for accepting his loss. Perhaps he's beginning to see the error of his ways. I certainly hope so and I will, at this point, give him the benefit of the doubt.

On the other hand, his chancellor, Ms. Rhee, is still as arrogant and offensive as ever. This lady is indeed sick based on her immature and unsolicited comments over the past few days.

Fenty has accepted his loss with some grace and class. I can't say the same thing for Rhee. She's whining like a spoiled brat. How egotistical to think she is the only person in the world who can effectively run DCPS. The only thing she's done is run it further into the ground.

Posted by: UrbanDweller | September 17, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

As I understand it, just because he doesn't accept a nomination does not mean they cannot write him in on the actual ballot.

All the republicans who liked Fenty, as well as all the democrats and independents that prefer him to Gray can still write him in. Obviously, he has never had any intention of being a republican, and therefore it is obvious he would refuse to switch parties.

However, if he were to win the actual election based on write in votes I highly doubt he would turn down another 4 years as mayor.

Posted by: johnqpublic1 | September 17, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

to the ignorant likes MadasH and others, I live in Virginia, Northern Va and we voted for Obama! Many in NOVA are conservative but the days of them running this state is over.

With this being said, Fenty was the best for DC and this city just saddens me. It starts with the people and until these ignorant people wake up then the city will never get right. I'm just anxious to see how the schools do now and while I am a Independent who leans towards Democrats, Fenty was the man for the city!

DC Loses again and until my ignorant ass people wake up they'll continue to lose.

Posted by: novablackman | September 17, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

"Gray would be a fool to keep her. I don't think he will. I imagine he will meet with her and give her the option of resigning with some dignity and respect or be publicly fired. If she's wise and capable of showing some maturity--which is in question--she'll choose the former rather than the latter."

----------------------------------------------------

Actually, if she is wise and has any political savvy, she will keep going on doing what she is doing and make Gray fire her. If she resigns, her detractors will paint her as an arrogant quitter who fired teachers unjustly and wasn't willing to work with a new mayor.

If she stays and/or forces Gray to fire her it is win-win, as one of 3 things will happen:

1) She is able to continue along the path of improvement and accountability that she has set down, thus proving herself able to succeed despite the administration.

2) She is fired and anything other than continued improvement and accountability will justly be viewed as a Gray administration that did not have the courage to hold district educational employees accountable and failed our children, showing that her actions to improve schools were both effective and justified.

3) She is fired and schools continue to improve without her, meaning that she put all of those improvements in motion, again showing her actions to have been effective and justified.

No big fan of Fenty myself, though a big fan of Rhee, I find it sad that the same voters who demand improved services and better accountability from the government and its employees vote out the very people who gave them exactly what they wanted.

Posted by: johnqpublic1 | September 17, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

"However, I respect Fenty for endorsing Gray, declining the republican nomination and for accepting his loss."

I'm not so sure that it was a wise decision. He needs 40% or so of the registered Democrats to switch parties on that vote, to win. Not out of the question. He could hardly be blamed for continuing to run against Gray, even as a Republican. And letting the city at large make the decision.

In doing this he concedes the mayoralship but attaches an even-bigger asterisk to Gray, and in any case he still saves about $4.5M for a reelection campaign if the city has 2nd thoughts after a Gray term. It has happened. This is essentially what would have happened if Obama had run against Bush in '04 instead of against McMoron in '08. That race would have been much closer but if events had unfolded in Obamas' first term as they did in Bushs' 2nd term, Bush would have cleaned his clock in an '08 rematch.

Posted by: tokenwhitemale | September 17, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

To Novablackman,
If being ignorant means determining my own political destiny while being lectured to by a pretentious Northern Virginian, then I proudly accept that label. Although Virginia supported Obama, your "liberal state" indeed just elected the current conservative Governor Bob McDonnell and the even more conservative Atty General Ken Cuccinelli. Don't worry you Virginians will continue to have your Chinatowns, U Streets and Adams Morgans, etc. to drink and party your rather dreary lives away. Oh by the way, college educated, tax paying, military veteran residents such as myself played a great part in making this city livable.

Posted by: MadasH | September 17, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

You guys realize this is a democracy right? Fenty isn't king and can't stay as leader as long as he likes.

Before we back Gray into a corner and decide that he is going to destroy DC and our educational system maybe we should all follow Fenty's lead and back our new mayor.

If you have issues with democracy there are still plenty of places to live in the world without it.

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 17, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Fenty now is getting the idea of the correct way to be humble. I just wish his supporters also take the tip and tip the taxi drivers better. This one driver had to put up with more than one rider that he could characterize as 'sore looser'. "Today," Claimed this 30-year-veteran of DC streets,"It was me tipping two riders.... Yes it was me telling them to keep the change."
It is true that Fenty did the biggest dis-service to the environment by allowing the meters to be installed in DC cabs, and it is true that uninstalling this 2+ years of running meters may be irreversible(Although there is a way to reverse it.), but the taxi drivers survived and did their part to make sure Fenty was only a 4-year disaster and no more.
"Not tipping may create aggregate problems in the long run. The drivers could simply concentrate in areas of the city where they are more appreciated and slowly drift away from areas such as ward 3 with the largest percentage of Fenty supporters," Said this other well-informed and experienced driver "and opening the door for the dark sedans and limos who incidentally do not have meters and exponential increase in their number is mostly a by-product of the irresponsible act of zone-to-meter conversion."

Posted by: freedriver | September 17, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Mount Baldo would make an iconic Republican mayoral nominee. As things stand, he is best suited to become a busker.

Posted by: Martial | September 17, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

"Hello there are a lot of black Independents that don't like Adrian and what he did by showing whites are superior and blacks are inferior."

Maybe you didn't notice, he is half black / half white.

So that statement is pretty assinine amongs other words.

Posted by: hider | September 17, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Lesson to Grey from this interview with Rhee...toot your own horn as much as possible and as often as possible otherwise we'll all be here again in 4 years tearing you apart for how the media portrays you.

“We weren’t proactive and strategic enough about communication and thinking about how do we get out there and talk about the great things that are happening.” - M. Rhee on the behind the scene's progress supporting much of the school system changes in DC.

It is a shame that attitude over progress has been the double edge sword for Fenty.

Posted by: rygy | September 17, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Fenty not running, greaaaaaat

Posted by: morrisday1 | September 18, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Well, rlj611, looks like you were educated by the DC Public Schools...the word is lose, not loose.
**********************************

Posted by: rlj611

Posted by: pjglazer | September 18, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Fenty is paying the price for supporting Ms. Rhee in her drive to improve D.C. schools. It is sad that citizens are so wrapped up in their ethnic pride that they will shoot themselves in the foot to protect it. D.C. needs better schools and the children deserve it. Fenty and Ms. Rhee were delivering better schools. The schools have improved and if this path is continued, they will even get better. Fenty's defeat, if it leads to retrenchment in the school system, will be a defeat for D.C. citizens. This is all very sad.

Posted by: tahuaya | September 18, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse

I am a Mayor Fenty supporter and proud to be. I think that this city has improved and know it is a work in progress. Times are not getting better (at this moment anyway). The “race issue” always bothered me about this particular political race. I am a Black woman that grew up in the inner city of DC, attended DCPS, experienced the period when DC was “The Murder Capitol” and crack was running rapid and cops where very corrupt (The Dirty Dozen). Race is definitely not an issue of mine. I enjoy seeing the improvements in my community. Thank you Fenty! Thank you! You have not been perfect however you have been the best I have seen in my 33 years. I say get the schools in order, crime is down, improved DC Government services when people actually answer the phone (even for parking meters that don’t work you can get a reference number for the allotted time), meters in cabs (they ripped us off long enough) and rebuilding schools & libraries. Don’t let me forget to mention the Headquarters of the Department of Employment Services moving to Ward 7. So, despite his personality flaws, which I know he has, I have seen more improvements in my city. Believe me….I have seen worse. I would definitely vote for him again.

Posted by: MissSEDCLady | September 18, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

If Fenty accepted the nomination, it would be a dead heat...50/50 at the polls in Nov. He would get all 30% republican votes, He would get the majority of the 10% independents/green party and probably get 10-15% of the 60% Democratic party. That would put the race right around 50/50. He should have accepted it if he really wants to see his programs carried out. He could have governed Democratically and held office as a Rep. But they he would have been called a "sell out."

Posted by: madstamina | September 18, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Did Fenty lose because he wasn't "black enough" or because he and Rhee were demanding results from DC teachers?

Posted by: cooper100 | September 18, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Fear not DC, soon the Republicans and the Tea Party will overtake Congress and they will control the city like they did when Mayor Crack Head was around. And to the person proclaiming that Virginia voted for Obama, yes, that mistake will not be repeated. Virginia is a solid red and thank God (I said "God!") for that.

Posted by: ryanNdc | September 18, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

To hider: The one drop black rule has always applied in the United States of America by whites, not blacks. There are millions of light skin blacks lighter than King Fenty. There's no such thing as half white and half black. Genetically, King Fenty's black genes dominates the caucasian genes. I agee, blacks like King Fenty see whites as superior and blacks as being inferior. It's called being marginalized daily in society by the majority race. I dare any whites on this blog to wish or try having black skin for one day, I can assure you, they would not make it without begging to be turned back into having white priviledged skin.

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 18, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse