Fenty's wife has emotional moment after debate

Christopher Dean Hopkins

After remaining in the background for most of Mayor Adrian Fenty's four years in office, the District's First Lady, Michelle Fenty, drew reporters and TV cameras at the mayoral debate at the Newseum with a tearful defense of her husband's accomplishments.

"He is moving a thousand miles an hour, but it is for the people," said Michelle Fenty in a rare exchange with reporters. "It is unfortunate in moving so fast people have not been able to connect with his determination to make this a better place."

Fenty said his wife, a District lawyer, has remained out of the limelight because she has her own career and is raising their three children. But when asked will she take a more active role in her husbands campaign at a time when polls suggest he is far behind, she said "absolutely."

As Fenty continued to talk about her husband, she broke down.

Fenty said she was moved to speak out after reading about The Washington Post poll that shows her husband is trailing.

"The poll was so striking to me and to here the things that people are saying about my husband that I know is not true is very painful," she said.

Aftter Fenty's wife left the stage, the mayor talked about the toll the campaign can take on a family.

"We do it every day, answering tough questions -- you develop a tough skin," he said. "But it doesn't mean that it isn't painful to hear. My wife is more private, but you see how it impacts on people."

By Hamil R. Harris  |  September 1, 2010; 6:21 PM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election , Hamil R. Harris , Mayor Fenty
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Excerpts: Mike DeBonis on mayoral debate, campaign
Next: Debate videos: Key questions, closing arguments, full debate

Comments

I said it before that people should lay of the personal. I do not want another F adminsitration but there should be a defined line between the personal and the private.

So with that being said, I think she should remain private. I have never seen or heard anything about their life together first hand.

But every fired employee, every once close friend, and current confidant noticing that they are on a sinking ship does have the information the public seeks. And the press has left her alone because she has stayed out of view...she changes is that..she too becomes the story.

There is people who work in the Wilson Bldg seen things close up and personal..again bad hand to play.

Posted by: CultureClub | September 1, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I can't understand why Ms. Fenty is crying so hard. Could it be that other things are going on with her. It just seems strange to me. We have not seen her through out the entire campaign and now she will be wants to get involved when her husband is so behind in the polls. What can she possibly say or do to change made up minds.

Nothing changed. She still has a career and 3 children.

I think she should stay salient.

Posted by: samvped205 | September 1, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

“We Believe in Mayor Fenty” – Please check out the videos that we have created in support of the Mayor. It shows a Ward 6 mother supporting Mayor Fenty, a Ward 3 mother, and a small Latino business, La Morenita, expressing their strong support.

We also created a poster for each Ward, where you can print, post and show your friends that the Mayor Believes in the District.

Twitter: @WeBelieveFenty

Vote FENTY – September 14, 2010!

Posted by: davidgdo | September 1, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

I love Ms. Fenty’s British accent. Her accent sound sexy, but I still want King Fenty banished from his kingdom (Wilson Building) and he can take Peter Nickles, Gabe Klein, Ron Moten, Valerie Santos, Ron Austin, Janice Quintana, and Neil Albert with him to work for New York City’s Rev. FLAKE and Mayor Bloomberg. Good riddance to them all. Let’s see how happy this couple will be once the King loses his title.

I voted for Vincent Gray on August 30, 2010 in the early voting.

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 1, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Was that King Fenty's voice in the background that said, thanks everyone? LOL

If so, this was staged and we the citizenry are not stupid or will fall for this trick.

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 1, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Adrian and Michelle Fenty are focused on one thing: self-promotion at the expense of DC taxpayers. She needs to worry less about this election which her husband is certainly going to lose and more about when her husband gets indicted for all his criminal, corrupt activities over the past 4 years (see Ron Moten, Sinclair Skinner, Omar Karim). Adios Fenty!!!

Posted by: firefenty9-14 | September 1, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Michelle (I just learned her first name) has the NERVE to refer to herself as the District's "first lady." No, she's not. A first lady acts like one. She's Fenty's wife and a mother to his children. Period. Mrs. Fenty hasn't done JACK for the District. This is the first time I've even heard her open her yap. For all the said, she should have kept it shut. Boo-hoo. We're supposed to sympathize when he's been such an arrogant schmuck and screwed over the people who put him in office? Not a chance.

Posted by: deeceevoice | September 1, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

She seems like a classy woman. Let's lay off the criticism. People are entitled to their privacy, and they're entitled to spend their time on their children and their job if that's what they need to, or want to, do.

Posted by: politicsdc | September 1, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Having been raised with Erica Kane on "All My Children", being a female and having raised two children....tears don't mean much to me anymore. I have discovered that everyone cries when they are in trouble or think that the tears will get them sympathy.

However, I am always impressed with one's "water works" and their ability to turn them on at a moments notice.

I can recall hearing other parents say, "You can cry all you want, I am still beating your behind." And in this case, Ms. Fenty can cry all she wants Mr. Fenty is still "behind" in the polls.

And it is due in part to his lack of sensitivity. Or the public's perception that he cares only about certain people. Bottom line: We "care" that you "care" about us even if you are not perfect! However, we don't "care about you" if you don't act like you "care about us".

For those of us who are in love with British accents, Maryland Public Television (MPT) has British sitcoms on Channel 22 or 26 daily. They call it, Afternoon Tea.

Posted by: msjudgejackie | September 1, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Classy no, classist yes. Queen Fenty cries with a British accent. That's all I need to know.

Posted by: wooda | September 1, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

This is just silly, she's basically crying and saying the citizens are ungrateful! People need to remember our government is a democracy chosen by the people. SO its not for the people to understand Fenty, but for Fenty to understand the People.

Posted by: AJordanMBA | September 1, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

We can afford to show a bit of kindness towards Mrs. Fenty.

I would imagine things aren't all merriment and light at the Fenty household these days. If he is half the ogre at home that he is at the office she has more than enough to contend with and so we should give her a free pass.

Mrs. Fenty gets a free-pass but it is still a NO vote for Mr. Fenty.

Posted by: 2belinda | September 1, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

LOL@msjudgejackie

I guess your comment about the British accent was directed at me. This is why I watch the British sitcom "Are You Being Served" on pubic television. LOL LOL LOL

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 1, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

The first time she gets the opportunity, she instantly gets emotional and reaaallly expresses how hurt she is. The fact of the matter this is not reflective of the perception the citizens of the District of Columbia have of your husband, it is rather a reality, an experience that they have live in various circumstances. Most of them,(my thoughts are with the honorable teachers and other loyal administration employees)have in midst of unjust firing,intimidation etc... have borne the nefast consequences and maintained their dignity. I am certain they were hurt and still are, to loose arbitrarly and abruptly their means of living, and in the case of fired teachers accused of innapropriate conduct towards the same children you teach. Maybe should we be reminded of the old adage's teaching us to treat others the way you would like to be treated.Politics is what it is but please let's apply a tiny bit of humanity, or maybe humility.

Posted by: dcforme | September 1, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

It’s alleged, Queen Michelle Cross Fenty works for the Inter-American Development Bank.

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 1, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Hi WARD4DC,

You seem to have some familiarity with the DC Government.

What exactly was it that you wanted that you did not get?

Do you have children in the DC Public Schools?

Did you grow up here? Were you taken out of DC Schools as a kid because they were so bad?

Do you know which Grey supporter ran as a republican and took RNC money? Do you find that appealing?

Is it ok to have work done on your house by somebody who comes before the council while you are the council Chair?

Is it ok that one of your friends is benefiting from the lottery contract?

You are critical of the Mayor but were you here when the head of the Teacher's union stole five million dollars? I believe she lived in ward four. Do you know where she is now? What do you think of that?

Also what is the purpose of describing Ms. Fenty's accent as "sexy?" Is your comment appropriate? Do you think it is a bit misogynistic?

Posted by: Kristallnacht | September 1, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Mrs. Fenty, but you get absolutely no sympathy from me.

While teachers, social workers, and daycare workers were being arbitrarily fired, you were giving interviews stating,“I’ve seen a few pairs of Manolo Blahniks (shoes) that I wouldn’t mind paying $800 for.

I guess you and your husband are of the same cloth—let the peasants eat cake!

Here’s the link: http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-introducing-michelle-fenty-d.c.s-other-first-lady/

Posted by: GoldCoast | September 1, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Whoever listed the list of things done under Grays watch you are absolutely right. I have been to quite a few functions with Gray and Im telling you... you guys are going to be in for a rude awakening. I believe Fenty needed to be humbled but he should keep his job. Gray and Barry are very good friends and I tell you troubles coming. I love it that his wife is staying silent and raising the children but you cannot judge where the tears are coming from. Being in the limelight requires a thick skin when you are really hurting inside.... Maybe this will humble him and get him to focus more on the people. I tend to run with that energy as well driven and sometimes you can seem cold when all you are is focused and trying to get the job done.

Posted by: Nightingale2 | September 1, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Ohhhh. Now I get it. He was doing a thousand miles an hour (on his bike) for me. I'm just too stupid to realize it was for my own good. I guess the next interview will say it hurt him more than it hurt me to fire me. Lol Or to close my kids school.
Lol

Na-na-naa-na

Posted by: tformation1 | September 1, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Nightingale2,

Vincent Gray has been on the city council for six years, of which he served four as the chair, and the only "trouble" Fenty can accuse Gray of his is fence.

If this is all "dirt" Fenty can get on a politician that has been in office for more than six years, then the citizens of DC are in for a pleasant ride with Vicent Gray at the helm.

Nightingale2, if you want to speak about "trouble" and corruption, his a laundry list of Fenty's improprieties:

Nightingale2, if you want to speak about "trouble" and corruption, his a laundry list of Fenty's improprieties (posted on The Wash Post by thelildiva4u, 8/17/10)

-$ 83 million laundered to friends (Skinner and Karim)

- Issuing check for $2.5 million to Banneker Associates despite an on-going investigation

-Attorney General who enters into agreements providing financial payments to groups under current investigation by the city council.

-Peachoholics given funding without written contracts or results.

-D.C. Youth Facility inmates escape and kill D.C. residents

-Shut down the Department of Mental Health (who will mostly likely use the new hospital owned by the city)

-Firing Grace Wiggins types (meaning any D.C. civil servants who side with District residents seeking to keep their places of residents affordable)

- Pretty much denying any Directors to testifying to the council

-Nominating unqualified individuals to influential boards

-having a $75,000 heater installed in his favorite city pool

- having his name scrawled in super sized letters on the new soccer field

-using city money to throw a $60K frat party

-Cut D.C. Fire Cadet Program (few programs that allowed 18-22 yr to become firefighters.

- Summer Youth debacle (years 2007 -2010) has overspent $30 million in the last three yrs

-Peter Nickels refusing to make public the books on NCRC and AWC

-Fire Truck Scandal (Please google Mr. David Jannarone) now Deputy Director of the Department of Housing and Community Development

-HIV rates climbed to the highest and federal money mismanaged (Bars HIV Director from meeting w/ HUD’s top brass.)

-400k doggy parks

-Maintaining friendships with Moten types who intimidate citizens and elected officials

-using police resources to stop traffic so that his friends can ride bikes

-maintained associates with I don’t recall Sinclair Skinner and OMG Karim aka Banneker Associates Bandits who also worked with David Jannarone aka Fire truck man.

-Security fee’s waive for some events. D.C. doesn’t collected need revenue. An example is the $485,000 fee waived for the National Marathon alone. In hard times like these are these wise decisions? Also how does the administration determine who is waived and who is not.

Director of DDOT also owner of Zip Cars…conflict of interest?

-Using gov’t resources (i.e voter registration mailers) to mail Fenty Campaign information.

Posted by: GoldCoast | September 1, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Ward4DC,

My comment was directed at "US", You and ME! And I see you got the political satire. Below is what I really wanted to say. For those who do not know, all the quotes below are names of the British sitcoms.

"As Time Goes By" I often wonder, "Are You Being Served" by "Ballykissangel" while he is "Keeping Up Appearances" on the campaign trail while you drink the
"Last of the Summer Wine" with the unemployed "EastEnders".

'

Posted by: msjudgejackie | September 1, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

"Don't Cry Out Loud"

Fenty cried the day the "election" came to town
'cause she didn't want "voters" just passin' by her
So she painted on a smile and took up with some clown
While she danced without a net upon the wire
I know a lot about 'er 'cause, you see
Fenty is an awful lot like me

Don't cry out loud
Just keep it inside, learn how to hide your feelings
Fly high and proud
And if you should fall, remember you almost had it all

Fenty saw that when they pulled that big top down
They left behind her dreams among the litter
The different kind of love she thought she'd found
There was nothin' left but sawdust and some glitter
But Fenty can't be broken 'cause you see
She had the finest teacher-that was me-I told 'er

Don't cry out loud
Just keep it inside and learn how to hide your feelings
Fly high and proud
And if you should fall, remember you almost had it all

Don't cry out loud
Just keep it inside and learn how to hide your feelings
Fly high and proud
And if you should fall, remember you almost made it

Don't cry out loud
Just keep it inside and learn how to hide your feelings
Fly high and proud
And if you should fall, remember you almost had it all

Posted by: msjudgejackie | September 2, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Kristallnacht, please put the pipe down. I am a native Washingtonian born in the old Freedmans Hospital, now Howard University Hospital. I've never worked for the District or Federal Governments. I've worked in the private sector my entire life. I attended and graduated from Mackin Catholic High School formerly located on California Street, NW in the 70's. No one cares about Gray having a Republican supporters. D.C. is a one party town and the few Republicans here locally have voted for Democrats in local elections. As a registered Democrat, I have crossed party lines and voted Republican. It depend on issues that concern me and if that candidate share my views.

I am not looking for low numbered D.C. tags, a political appointment, or a District Government job. Yes, I do know King Fenty personally and this guy fool many black Ward 4 voters and others pretending, he's the man of the people. King Fenty is a man only looking out for himself, Ron Moten, Bill Lightfoot, Peter Nickles, Gabe Klein, and his frat. brothers the NUPES. I think, I have been in my native city longer than you and other new comers that King Fenty is pandering to.

Posted by: blackomega | September 2, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if Queen Michelle Fenty's tears were sincere. She drives her nice black BMW SUV with the D.C. low number tag 1. She wears nice clothes and I read a while back, she loves to shop with her girlfriends.

If she didn't want to be in the lime light, she should have told King Fenty not to run for public office. Michelle Obama is an Attorney and has 2 daughters, but she finds time as the 1st lady of the United States of America to show her face and get's involved with everyday people. Queen Fenty comes across as a black British snob by way of the West Indies. She might have been born in England, but her roots are in Jamaica. I truly wish her and King Fenty well and I hope they ajust to private life again in January 2011.

Posted by: blackomega | September 2, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Say what you want, Fenty has done a lot for the city and moving it forward. This place is cranking like we have never seen before. Buildings going up everywhere. Now go and take a look at places like Michigan, Ohio, Georgia, or South Carolina and you will be running back to D.C.

Also no one is mentioning the fact that DCPS just won $75 million dollars in Obamas Race to the Top Campaign!! Out of all the states (places) that competed, we placed and won. Now lets be real. Do you think that Gray could have secured that type of money? no way!!! He is not on that level. Fenty clearly is, whether you want to admit it or not. Obamas Secretary of Education said of Fenty " I am a big fan". That is nothing short of an endorsement. Also remember that The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation gave DC $25 million based on work by the Fenty administration. That is over $100 million dollars that we probably would not have gotten if Fenty was not the Mayor.

Wake up people!! Its not that hard. You can see the change for yourself. Do you think we need someone 67 years old walking around consulting Barry and taking all day to get things done after we have lived at the Fenty Pace? Be real. Name me two things that were built before the Fenty administration? you cant. They were planned, not built.

Its ridiculous that you want to fire someone who has done a good job. Ok he wont win any personality contests, and I am sure that he has heeded all of the feedback and will work on his approach as he continues to get sh-t done!!

Just imagine Kwame ($700,000 in debt) Barry(need I say more) and Gray (Fenty is doing a good job , but I will be nicer while I am doing it) The thought makes my stomach hurt and should make yours hurt also.

Posted by: ata1 | September 2, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Hi blackomega, I guess going to DC elementary school in the 70's and graduating from Howard makes me a newcomer. I don't have low numbered tags and could care less about them. What I do care about is the fact that the Head of Teacher's Union stole millions of Dollars (http://nlpc.org/category/keywords/washington-teachers-union) and that I had to be taken out of elementary school because the teachers were incompetent and the assistant principal brought a gun to school. Some of my dear friends could not leave and did not have a good education and ended up in jail. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about my beautiful childhood friend and classmate Greg and how he ended up in jail. I am convinced that had the schools been better he would have had a different life. Maybe some of the teachers did not deserve to be fired but I believe many of them did. If it takes an out of the box approach to shake things up, then so be it. Before you run out and vote Grey, think about where the schools were before. Are you sure Grey will be able to keep the momentum going?

Posted by: Kristallnacht | September 2, 2010 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Fenty didn't care about the tears of the cab drivers as their bank accounts were seized, their homes were foreclosed upon, and their credit ratings were damaged. So why should the cab drivers care about the Fenty family? He's had over two years to fix the mileage rate on the meter. Yet instead he decided to play power games.

Posted by: starclimber9 | September 2, 2010 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Kristallnacht, I cast my vote for Chairman Gray on August 30, 2010 at the D.C. Board of Elections.

Posted by: blackomega | September 2, 2010 2:19 AM | Report abuse

So let me get this right: Mrs. Fenty goes to law school, has a career and people have a problem with her driving a BMW, working every day, being low key about her life and having a baby, wanting nice shoes and spending HER money with HER friends? Are you mad that Michael Brown has a Hummer or that Yvette Alexander drives a Range? Do you care that Barry rides around in a Jaguar? But you want to criticize the Fenty family. Shame on you!

It baffles me that you all can comment on WaPo day after day, have no command of your first and only language, but want someone to deliver fantasy jobs and rainbows to you in a crab filled barrel.

What difference does it make whether you've seen Michelle Fenty or not? Why are you comparing her to the FLOTUS (who has the luxury of essentially being a stay at home mom -- shout out to all of the SaHM's who run their households) who has the TIME and STAFF that allow her to be the female face of the Commander and Chief. [For those of you who don't know what that acronym stands for, please use your browser for something other than an opportunity to find an article to post snide (and grammatically incorrect) remarks and educate yourselves.]

Anyone who fills their idle time with watching British sitcoms on MARYLAND public access should trade in those mindless moments and contribute to the betterment of their community and youth vs. creating slick statements with show titles. However clever you find your comments to be, and this goes for EVERY. SINGLE. NEGATIVE. COMMENTER that decided it was appropriate to say something dumb about someone who was 1) NOT elected to office 2) did NOT spend years under educating the children of this city & allowing criminals to run amuck 3) did nothing to you personally and you have 4) NEVER met all because of a 2 min video and your disdain for her husband who has 1) brought this city to a level that only a few here seem to appreciate...

Adjust your lenses people: talking about the Fenty family is pointless. Making this city a better place to live is what matters. Adrian M. Fenty has delivered. PERIOD. We're on track for the city we all want and deserve. He doesn't need to be my BFF or make me feel warm and fuzzy! I want to feel good about I LIVE. Been here 25+ yrs and I can truly say I LOVE DC! Do you?

Posted by: LMNOpls | September 2, 2010 3:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: politicsdc | September 1, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Right, but she took to the camera. She should have done what she has one for the past 3+ years, attended her charity affairs and A-list events. She has less than two weeks to update her guest/friends list because it will be much shorter come 9/15.

She is a poor first lady, soon to be the ex-first lady.

I feel for the families Fenty has destroyed with the help of Rhee and other hired guns in departments under his control.

Posted by: guylady201001 | September 2, 2010 5:11 AM | Report abuse

Oh my, how many times over the years have we seen politicians' wives play tammy fay, stand by my man drama. Has peter nickels released the information concerning the amount of money that neil albert approved for the law firm that tammy fay michelle's law firm received in 2007/08? Lawyers are trained to control their emotions and this was a great acting job on the final campaign leg of a major debate for mayor. But, i am not fooled, still voting GRAY .for sure.

Posted by: dcgovcorruption | September 2, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

Karma has a way of making everyone vulnerable.

I find it hard to offer sympathy when her husband is responsible for other women who were crying because their husbands have lost thier jobs.

Posted by: missboo | September 2, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

LMNOpls: We have a right to express our opinions just as you have. What matters the most is that Fenty will no longer be the mayor of DC.

My vote will certainly be for Vincent Gray. Can't wait until Sept. 14th comes.

Posted by: samvped205 | September 2, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

To me, the crying seems to come out of nowhere. All this time, she hasn't been involved with the race, and then suddenly at the last minute she appears for the first time, and she cries!

I guess the crying doesn't make sense to me because if she cared enough about Fenty winning to cry about it, she should have been running with him a long time ago!

Posted by: tacard1 | September 2, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Bahahahaha @Kristallnach & ata1& & LMNOpls. Great fear mongering and way to undervalued, underestimated, and marginalize

LMNOpls said “You have NOTHING to say about the failed education system that was turned around at record breaking speed, the reduction in crime or the city services that have drastically improved? Gray is the hero who’s gonna deliver jobs & instantly all will be right with DC!? FACT: unemployment rates are low across the US! “

Wrong! The educational system hasn’t been turned around. Maybe you need to head over to Bill Tuque’s blog and read the continued issues plaguing D.C. You have been bamboozled by the smoke and mirrors of Ms. Rhee. Test scores are down and the achievement gap is becoming a big gulf between black, white, Asian and Latino students. Four years ago they said that they would turn the system around and four years later we need more time because the problems won’t be solved. We are not talking about unemployment in the USA, our concern is D.C.

LMNOpls said “It amazes me that the people who claim they are natives & LOVE this city are so focused on having someone “kiss their ring” that they could care less about the ACTUAL CITY. Y’all care more about feeling good, pointing fingers and personal gratification that you haven't stopped to think of how you've repeatedly cut off your nose to spite your face. GROW UP!”

Ahhh will both Fenty and Gray are natives and one of the biggest criticisms of Fenty is that you had to kiss his (back-side) to get anything done. Or dare you speak out against him or dare you seek to get a contract using regular procurement practices beyond being a Kappa. I and other folks on these here boards have listed over and over and over the issues that are valid that we have with Fenty. They go way beyond “feelings”.

Posted by: thelildiva4u | September 2, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Well she step into the political fray so now she becomes fair game. Michelle Fenty has chosen to stay private as she indicated in the video. OK that’s all fine, but when a couple ascends to the level that Gestapo Fenty has it become harder to “not be involved”. Concessions are often made on the wife’s roles and responsibilities. Even if it’s something as small as hey I’ll take on the role of reading to children in the class room once a month to show the citizens of the District of Columbia that I’m connected to them beyond attending A-list events (as one commenter pointed out) to the city? Man she could have even set-up mentorships between her law-firm and young women who attend Anacostia High school. Showed what it takes to be a lawyer, mother and women and Tied it into Rhee’s “so called reform”. There are so many ways she could have played this hand, but she choose not to so….oh well.

But this again shows another elementary mistake by this administration. It also shows that the campaign people that surround Fenty are clueless and should have brought her out early not in the 4th quarter with 3 seconds left on the clock.

My initial reaction to her comments about “the polls “ and her Gestapo husband trailing Gray was that she must not have any real friends. Now maybe she hangs out with folks and has a diner or too but no real friends. Because a real friend would have clued her in aloooooooooooong time ago of the issues that residents have with her Husband. Then I begin wondering does she read a newspaper? Does she have any connection to the city beyond the enclave of the gold coast?

Posted by: thelildiva4u | September 2, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

@Kristallnacht: Please accept my sincerest apologies for Greg, but teachers/schools do not hold the ultimate responsibility for raising children. Blame Greg's parents for his demise. I graduated from DCPS in upper NW and only one or two of my classmates were imprisoned. I believe the reason is because of their parents' lack of interest/skills/resources.

@LMNOpls: You must be a dear friend of Fenty's with your pompous, self-righteous attitude! Your beliefs of DC-natives "hav[ing] no command of [our] 1st & only language" and expecting jobs as handouts is highly offensive! Many of my fellow DCPS classmates are highly reputable professors, CEOs, pilots, researchers, attorneys, authors, executives, certified public accountants, and more. Bottom line: if you don't like DC or its natives - leave town because to believe we'll change for your comfort is simply insane! Even more insane is your belief that those residents who've shed many tears over abrupt Fenty closures that have shattered their lives would sympathize with Michelle who shows up for the first time in almost four years and cries.

@ata1: What bubble have you been living in? Government red-tape doesn't allow things to be approved/built overnight. Since Anthony Williams did things the right way, many of his "approved" plans were carried out over the past four years. The renovated fields, schools and rec centers were NOT Fenty's doing! The only thing I can credit Fenty for capital-budget-wise are the bike-lanes and bike storage facilities (i.e. Union Station). He has also given away mega land deals where construction companies will build new homes, high-rises, restaurants, etc. I'm not impressed, however. Regarding the schools, they're no better. Get the facts! You obviously don't have any children in DCPS! The scores are NOT better - they're the same or worse at many schools. Rhee was right to get rid of some teachers, but I question her process and tone of doing so. She has not provided any concrete results of her success. I had to demand my son's test scores after Rhee's first year as Chancellor - they were not trying to release them. We won't honestly know until AFTER she leaves office with her intimidation tactics. Only then will people feel safe enough to release the TRUE statistics.

Regarding Michelle, she doesn't meet my definition of a "first-lady" who typically finds a cause and goes all out to champion that cause! Two years into Fenty's term, she joins the masses on the breast cancer issue. Nothing major has happened since her involvement that would meet my expectations of a "first-lady". She's been silent all of this time enjoying her privacy (which I have no problem with), but one has to wonder if self-interest was her motivation to surface. I wish her the best, however.

Gray has my vote - I refuse to vote for Fenty. He actually told me a few weeks ago that he understood my rationalization. I still respect Fenty and wish him and his family the best.

Posted by: bodymagicbykim | September 2, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I feel for Mrs. Fenty, I believe that she should be able to support her husband. I think that the Mayor has done some good things in this city. Unfortunately, he has done some negative things as well. He refuses to respect or include certain types of people. I have a problem with this. I hate to talk about race but if you want to go there. This Mayor does not care about the poor and needy in this city. Its good that the schools have change but they don't see the real problem. We all have to build this city together. Kathy Lanier, Michele Rhee, and the person who words at McDonalds. We are in this together. Also he puts animals above humans. Open rec centers for kids and not pets. Then we can talk. Her tears are not taken likely but the mothers of those young men gunned down a few months ago were crying too.

Posted by: dyb6119 | September 2, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Fenty knocked on my door during his campaign this year. I asked him why does it appear to be him and Michelle Rhee against the city council? Michelle Rhee has disrepected the city council with Fenty's blessings. And if it is true what Mr. Gray said about him bringing her to his office at 11 pm for a first time introduction as school superintendent, he doesn't have the class or character to be mayor.

Posted by: jhnsnrt | September 2, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Another desperate move. Stay private and cry at home. I wasn't impressed. Who was listening to the unemployed that were crying when they lost their jobs because of Fenty and his administration? Voters have decided and her crying will not change a thing. Save them for September 15th.

BTW: At the Ward4 straw poll, I was there when Fenty arrived, didn't see her. Her vote would have counted. Tears now?

Posted by: candycane1 | September 2, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Ms. Fenty too little too late. I'm sure you're a great mom and wife, but First Lady?! Politics is a dirty sport. You can't swing on people for four yrs and then cry when they swing back. Adrian Fenty is going to lose for one reason "Disparity of Schools" Ms. Rhee has poloirized DC. I live in ward 3. Ward 2 and 3 schools are dripping with gold. Wards 5-8 have been promised the gold but no show. Adrian should take 4 yrs off, eat some humble pie and come back in 4 yrs with a great comeback. Live and Learn...

Posted by: 123ksmiley | September 2, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I was surprised to see Mrs. Fenty, the "First Lady of the District of Columbia finally comes out during re-election time." All other First Ladies of the District of Columbia have taken part with many projects in serving the People of the District of Columbia" ? Where has Mrs. Fenty been, why is she allowed to come out now? Why is she crying asking people to support her husband? Mayor Fenty has not supported the Veterans in the District of Columbia nor has he met with the Veterans of the District of Columbia; wanting to place friends in positions that are not skilled to perform jobs that take experience and know how and now he wants to have another term he has not been willing to be reachable by the Veterans of the District of Columbia that have served our Country; that also shows when you visit the District of Columbia War Memorial, which has not been taken care of, go check it out! Mayor Fenty, has not been "Fair to the people. "It is all about him."

Posted by: rpowell21 | September 2, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Interesting thread of comments.
Michelle Fenty has a right to be private and retain it by any means she deems necessary. However, once you abandon your privacy and enter the public arena, all barriers are eliminated. Exception: children. Don't mess w/the kids. She has not been visible in fenty's political career....it's okay for her to remain invisible.

That said: Her tears did not move me.

Fenty Fired! WaPo headline, Wednesday 9/15.

Posted by: ColoredSpirit | September 2, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

The spelling and grammatical errors in this column are appalling.

Posted by: TripLBee | September 2, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@TripLBee when people are passionately typing, errors are normally overlooked-just in case you confused that with lack of intelligence.

My issues as a native is having to testify before the city council on the issues of the hold up on funding from HPAP that approved 1st time homebuyers were waiting to be released so we could close on our homes. People in tears most of us single mothers-I was supposed to close in October but didn't close until February 28th-can you imagine the kind of Christmas my kids had with all our our stuff packed in stacked in the livingroom where a Christmas tree should have been, waiting for a phone call?
I then had to turn around and testify again when our babies were being thrown out of DPR's daycare/headstart program by the now (2nd)fired Director blantanly defied the Council when Harry Thomas Jr. told her that what she was doing was illegal after reading to her DC law put in place by the City Council 30 years ago! All of the money paid out to "groups" who took over DPR recs that were from Va and Md that had no visible programs running that displaced DPR workers and senior citizens activities and kids. As far as DCPS being better-thats DCBS- it is the progress of the PUBLIC CHARTER schools that are flourishing around the city. DCPS schools and parks have been renovated and they look good, but I just received the book of test scores that is sent out to parents who have students in DCPS (i have a child in McKinley Tech)that compares schools and the scores are a mess!
Oh, how about that useless marathon that shuts down every major street (East Capitol,Minnesota Ave, Penns Ave) in the South East corridor of the city for most of Saturday every spring? Residents can't get anywhere in or out of SE for ours. Kids couldn't even get to Saturday school at KIPP-Benning Road last year-would they have done this in upper NW? I don't remember this being discussed among residents that it directly affects.
Oh, and my $125 speed camera ticket for going 11 miles over; the same infraction in Mount Rainier costs $40.
Crime rate dropped? Not really- they just forced a lot of lower income families out of the city by shutting down most the Project Housing and removed DC rent ceiling allowing owners to rent property at astronomical rates making it too expensive for most of us to remain even when the property isn't worth it-it's all about "location" now. Now, we can't give Fenty all the credit on that one-Williams started that. Beautifying the city is nice to look at but if it's coming at the cost of its residents quality of living it's not worth it. If thats the case I would rather live in one of the southern cities that another commenter posted earlier.
We native citizens are not all apathetic to what's going on here. Has anyone noticed that besides Barry, no other DC mayor can get a second term, even with all these changes that are supposed to be for the better? I will not allow Fenty to George Bush this city for another 4 years-

Posted by: MzCoffie | September 2, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Mayor Fenty's wife is crying because of the prospects of him being unemployed and home more.

She wants him re-elected to keep him busy and out of the household mix, and possibly to keep him from kicking her but.

I can see Fenty being a wife beater.

Posted by: Special_One40 | September 2, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

...PS I think that she is UGLY!

Posted by: Special_One40 | September 2, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

I find it really discpicable that people would attack this woman with these absurd comments on here. It's ignorant and very low on the human compassion scale. The thoughtlessness of angry mob mentality is very hard to comprehend. I am not a Fenty supporter but politics is never a reason to attack someones family like that. She isn't running for anything. Even if this was a staged event (doubtful) what is calling her ugly going to do?

Take one moment out of your small lives and try to think how you would feel.

Disappointed with DC folks. God don't like ugly.

Posted by: kharmaisis | September 2, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a Fenty supporter by any means but I have to agree that it is a bit low to attack his wife. Calling her ugly is mean.

She has been absent from the campaign. Perhaps she hasn't done the typical first lady things aside from the a-list activities. Only she and her husband know why but the public will never know the full truth of anything.

In terms of karma, Fenty will get everything back he has done to others tenfold. Until he does right by the thousands of people he has wronged, everything he touches will crumble and fail. We should not, however, include his wife and children.

Posted by: southyrndiva | September 2, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Fenty must go!!!!! Fenty and Michelle Rhee are arrogant and despicable people. Thank God, the people see what I see. Good riddance!
Fenty’s wife should have seen this coming and I do not feel sorry for her or her despicable husband. He should have been kicked out of office a long time ago.

Posted by: getatregina | September 2, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Fonts must go!!!!! Fenty and Michelle Rhee are arrogant and despicable people. Thank God, the people see what I see. Good riddance!

Posted by: getatregina | September 2, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for sharing the link, GoldCoast:

I think her tears are for the prospect that she will no longer be able to drop $800 for designer shoes that are "too beautiful to wear." Tell that to the thousands of unemployed people in Wards 8 and 7 and throughout the city, so they can give you a royal smackdown, Michelle "Marie Antoinette" Fenty. Save your tears for drama school. I hear your alma mater has a great program.

Posted by: shame_the_devil | September 2, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

TripLBee wrote:

The spelling and grammatical errors in this column are appalling.
------------

Oh please! Most of us are trying to post comments and not to get caught by our supervisor. I just noticed several errors in one of my earlier comments. I guess that makes me an illiterate, Gray supporter who wants to go back to the Barry era when government cheese and powder eggs were plentiful!

I guess the grammatical errors are indicative of my obtuse reason for disapproving of Fenty. I guess you have concluded that I and other commentators, who have hurriedly posted comments without proofing it, oppose Fenty because he is “arrogant” and we aren’t intelligent enough to vote on substance, but solely on style.

TripLBee, this ain’t no English assignment (yes, I used a double negative) so get over yourself.

Posted by: GoldCoast | September 2, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

First Lady???
I didn't know the wife of the mayor was called "1st lady". Hmmmm ... interesting.
Well if you want to be first lady, you have to act like one.
Whether you like it or not, a "First Lady" IS a PUBLIC figure. As a "first lady", you are in politics, whether you've chosen to be or not. If you're married to the mayor, you're in politics ... period! Women in politics have careers and children, and don't cry in public!
Quit whining about running 1000 miles a minute. It's part of the job. Step up to the plate and do your part, or get off the ship.

Posted by: hoticetea | September 3, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse