Gray's new Web site targets former Fenty voters

Washington Post Editors

D.C. Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray has unveiled a sleek new Web site targeted at voters who used to support his rival in the mayor's race, incumbent Adrian M. Fenty (D).

The site, www.formerlyfenty.com, is part of Gray's closing strategy to win over undecided voters in the final week of the campaign.

"For months, our campaign has heard from hundreds of disaffected Fenty supporters who've decided that it's time for a change," said Gray campaign manager Adam Rubinson, who said he himself is a former Fenty supporter. "Having these individuals tell their stories to others like them about why they now support Vince Gray will be a powerful tool as we head into the final week of the campaign."

For Gray, the path to victory rests on wooing at least some voters who supported Fenty in 2006 over to his side this year.

Despite winning every precinct in a historic rout in 2006, Fenty only received 54 percent of the vote in a crowded field.

With there having been little evidence that Fenty put much effort during his term to win over residents who didn't vote for him four years ago, most believe the mayor faces an uphill battle to woo converts this year.

If Gray keeps most of the non-Fenty voters from 2006 on his side this year, he would only need a few thousand former Fenty supporters to prevail -- assuming the mayor does not succeed in his efforts to dramatically expand the electorate in comparison to past elections.

By Tim Craig  |  September 7, 2010; 11:20 AM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election , Mayor Fenty , Tim Craig , Vincent C. Gray
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Washington Examiner endorses Fenty
Next: Moten debating Barry tonight on Fox 5

Comments

Gray is desperate for votes and keeps using negative tactics to gain votes. You would think he would quote people who are for him no matter how they voted 4 years ago. Gray's message is hate Fenty so vote for me, and I won't tell you what I will do if elected.

Posted by: voter20 | September 7, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Voter20 who went negative first? Fenty inflicted all this on himself. These are self-inflicted wounds. People had issues with him 18-24 months ago and he didn't care. He only started to the mea culpa dance when the numbers didn't go his way.

BTW please note that Fenty didn't have a message or issues when he first ran ****cough*** taking over the schools.

Posted by: thelildiva4u | September 7, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

It's a GREAT site. Just added my name to the rapidly increasing list :-)

Posted by: missboo | September 7, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I still don't know what Gray has planned for the city. His whole campaign is based off that he is not Fenty so he should be elected.

Posted by: ronaldw_82 | September 7, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

ronaldw_82 |

If you read more than the playboy stuck to your hand you could find out Gray's platform. He has released countless position papers, platforms, number of interviews and how many debates we have by now?

It is intellectually small minded to say what his campaign is based off of--when there is so much information on record. You can say after reading (you do read I assuming) that you don't like his ideas. Shoot you don't even have to read he did a Youtube, Facebook interview.

I viewed the website. It is very clever and viral. I thought it might be too negative but the tone is just right and it makes the distinctions between the candiate because I too was Formely Fenty.

Posted by: CultureClub | September 7, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

A campaign based on NOT having fenty is good enough for me!

Posted by: cherita_whiting@yahoo.com | September 7, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Wow did I just see Summer Spencer? Wow just wow. I would love to say so much more about went on at DOES that year. But for the record I liked her.

Posted by: thelildiva4u | September 7, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

This is great! Talk about being one-upped! I would love to have been in the room when the King found out about this website. But seriously, it's interesting to see such a cross-section of support. It's not all black versus white as the Post would have us believe.

Posted by: ssmd11 | September 7, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I didn't vote for Fenty the first time, so I can't be formerly Fenty! I can be "still not Fenty" or "Never Ever Fenty"

Posted by: tacard1 | September 7, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

That's one potent website. The former supporters' arguments are very convincing and mirror the arguments of people who never supported Fenty. Will Fenty's "change of heart" and his wife's version of the "Crying Game" trump this? I don't know. I still think it's going to be a very tight race.

Posted by: v_matty | September 7, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Voter20,

So Gray is desperate, huh? Did he petition the election board to open up the DEMOCRATIC primary to every voter, regardless of affiliation? Did he bring out family members to boo hoo for the cameras in a pathetic attempt to garner sympathy and, in their minds, votes? No, that would be your boy Fenty!

Why do you consider people voicing the reasons they are supporting Gray a negative thing? Sorry, bud, Vince has no need to be desperate. He's got the momentum. CATCH THE WAVE!

Posted by: shame_the_devil | September 7, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Bye Fenty, thank you for your service. I can't benefit from a dog park (no pets), I can't benefit from recreations (working too hard to keep a roof over my head), my kids can't benefit from recreations (crime), my kids can't get a summer job (process was different this year), I can't use the bike paths (dangerous don't own a bike), can't afford the new housing and DC isn't hiring residents (me), my children school needs major renovation. Well, with 4 more years of Fenty, sounds like I will have to move!

Posted by: drfields | September 7, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse