Mary Cheh endorses Gray

Washington Post Editors

Updated at 12:45 p.m. with a response from the Fenty campaign

D.C Council member Mary Cheh (D), who represents Ward 3 in Northwest, Thursday endorsed Vincent C. Gray for mayor.

Speaking on TBD, formerly News Channel 8, Cheh said she voted for Gray Tuesday during early voting at the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics.

Cheh, one of the most progressive and active members of the council, had long been expected to support Gray given her frequent criticism of Mayor Adrian M. Fenty's administration. But Cheh, who is up for reelection this year but has no opponent in the Sept. 14 Democratic primary, has largely steered clear of the mayor's race until this week.

"I did vote yesterday and I voted for myself, but I voted for Vince Gray and I am going to support Vince Gray and I hope the residents of my ward and around the District also support Vince Gray," Cheh said. "I have worked with him over the past 4 years shoulder to shoulder, and I have become an admirer. He is a man of integrity, thoughtful and he will be a leader."

Cheh, who will start campaigning for Gray in Ward 3 today, accused Fenty of governing through "secrecy and closed-doors."

Cheh's Republican opponent in the general election, David Hedgepeth, recently endorsed Fenty.

The Fenty campaign responded to the endorsement by attacking Cheh. "Mary Cheh has chosen to align herself against education reform, against public safety and against the improvements of the last three years," said Sean Madigan, a Fenty spokesman. "More importantly, she has shown she is more interested in cutting political deals than in listening to her neighbors."

Cheh was not immediately available to respond to Madigan's statement.

--Tim Craig

By Tim Craig  |  September 2, 2010; 10:34 AM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election , Tim Craig
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More than 7,500 voters affected by misprint on registration cards
Next: Fenty gets endorsement from Latino newspaper

Comments

Wonderful! Go Gray!!

Posted by: tacard1 | September 2, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

She is trying to position herself for a mayoral run. Period.

So, for all of you people out there wondering how wants to be the first White Mayor of DC. There she is.

And, she can't get that with Fenty there.

This is n ot about secrecy. It is about personal ambition.

Posted by: politicalrealist | September 2, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I've had some doubts about Mary, but now my opinion has increased 100%. I would vote for Mary in a heartbeat. Now, I hope she really finds out what is going on in DCPS and all their special million $ contracts.

Posted by: natureman44 | September 2, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

@Polireal,

Sour Grapes? So what would happen if she had endorsed Fenty? Would she still be gunning for the top job or does this criticism only apply if she chose to run against the incumbent?

Posted by: dcis1 | September 2, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Rock on Ms. Cheh. Hopefully the residents in your own ward will take heed and see that you know first hand the nature of this mayor and that you are far more knowledgeable than anyone on the Washington editorial board.

Posted by: starclimber9 | September 2, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Good for you Mary. I knew you would do it at the right time.

Posted by: candycane1 | September 2, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I am so happy that Most of Ward 3 has Fenty signs on their yard.
This will also reflect on her in the future..

Posted by: pdv1 | September 2, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Cheh is one of the laziest and more ineffective Council members. No feel for the community. Poor constituent services, too, say friends in her ward. She'd be an impossible candidate for mayor, unless she moved out of her ward and listened more to people from other wards. She also needs to get serious about her position on education. She probably just jeopardized her chance to retain her seat.

Posted by: axolotl | September 2, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Actually, pdv1, most of ward 3 has NO signs in their yards, and among those who do, I'd say it's about 60-40 Fenty.

With Cheh's endorsement, that may soon change.

Posted by: efavorite | September 2, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

This is huge! Way to go Councilmember Cheh!

Adrian Fenty is going down down down. Downtown to Chinatown in flames!

I hope that Fenty has his boxes packed and the moving truck in front of his house before Vincent Gray takes the oath of office as DC's nect mayor.

Hey Adrian, don't let the door hit you on your way out. No one is going to miss you. Good riddance !!!

Posted by: ashafer_usa | September 2, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

politicalrealist,

You don't have a clue!

Cheh is a person of integrity and is respected in all communities (blacks, whites, latinos, etc.) for her stance for the common the good.

Cheh-- as well as most non-self serving DC residents—knows Fenty is a detriment to good of the community.

Posted by: GoldCoast | September 2, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Brava, Mary! I've disagreed with a few of your wackier legislative priorities, but I've never doubted your intelligence or focus on ethical governance. I applaud your decision to take a visible and principled stand.

Posted by: nan_lynn | September 2, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Ironically, Sean Madigan speaks of "political deals". I can vividly recall how Mary Cheh remained unflappable and stayed on-point during Ron Moten's offensive conduct as he testified about the firetruck giveaway---another Fenty "political deal" gone sour.

Posted by: logosdesigns | September 2, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

What was that Fenty said yesterday about not being arrogant? He can't keep the lie going for 10 more days...that tells us what we can expect for the next four years.

Posted by: OneStop1 | September 2, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

you go girl? Gray all the way!!

Posted by: samvped205 | September 2, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Mary Cheh, the angry arrogant one, is not liked throughout her Ward. She would like to see Gray elected so she can control what he will do in the future. Since Gray has still not completed his platform and is not a leader but a follower waiting for the council to tell him what position he should take, Cheh will get her wish. Cheh also has a demanding full time job so this council position only gets a limited amount of her time and her legislation must be rewritten several times shows her lack of attention to detail. Cheh has a bad temper and is personally not appealing, so I seriously doubt she has a serious political future in this city.

Posted by: voter20 | September 2, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: voter20 | September 2, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Sean, grow up -- this is not political dealing, it is political reality... Cheh is a smart policymaker, and she knows Gray is right for smart education reform, good public safety policy, and while conceding some improvements have been made under Fenty, she rightly points out that we need more than Fenty has given us going forward. Did you watch her on TBD?

Posted by: HomeTownDC | September 2, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

The response from Fenty's camp is very telling. Why attack Cheh? It serves no purpose other than to make him look like an immature sore loser. Just say she's entitled to support whoever she wants and leave it at that.

Posted by: Redial1 | September 2, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Hmm! maybe this works to Fenty's advantage? Ward 3 goes to Gray and that means pretty soon Barry endorses Fenty and the eastside blooms with green signs. It makes about as much sense as any other aspect of this stupid campaign.

Posted by: blankspace | September 2, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I definitely will be voting Fenty now. And Mary Cheh. I don't have my vote for you. A ward 3 resident.

Posted by: kt12 | September 2, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

You Fenty suporters had better heed Councilwoman's Cheh's endorsement. Who is in a better position to knbow the inner workings and to see and know the real Fenty? The Post Editorial Board? I think not. Fenty is a corrupt,unethical politician, he has a black heart. Believe me I know. Let's see how you respond when he is indicted. You all will be eating crow.

Posted by: diahhna | September 2, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Go Gray...Fenty is a loser and a wife beater. Ask his police captain, who covers for him. He needs to go away. The man never answers a question, always has to investigate and never has any results of his investigation....Beat it Fenty....Go Gray

Posted by: bowiemdh | September 2, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bowiemdh | September 2, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

The Fenty camp's response to Cheh's endorsement explains why I am voting for Gray. Their over the top tirade is indicative of the entire amateurish, corrupt administration.

Posted by: TripLBee | September 2, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Another kiss up! Cheh, is sell out and controlled by the people she represents....I find her very soft, and unwilling, or challeging.

She's doing the brown nosing early-

Posted by: weaverf | September 2, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Good for Cheh! And who's that Republican dude endorsing a Democrat- Fenty??!! Shouldn't he be endorsing the Republican candidate and keeping his nose in his own backyard? Sheesh!

Posted by: forgetthis | September 2, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

It is a huge mistake to attack Cheh in this way. The Fenty camp should have thought this out a little more. Attacking people like this doesnt show an about face...get ur camp together

Posted by: DCJUSTICE | September 2, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I am very disappointed of Mary Cheh and I can't think of any other reason for her doing this than personal and political gain. Mary has a level of influence in the Ward but people can smell manipulation. The fact that she was involved in the election/voting regulations amendments adds another hint of concern in regard to this endorsement.
I don't see what Ward 3 residents would win from Ms. Cheh endorsing Gray. The only person that can gain anything is Mary, if Gray wins. As an individual she is free to express her choice through her vote but endorsing anyone as a councilmember is a different story as she represents the people in her Ward. Very disappointing.

Posted by: amalaya | September 2, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Amalaya says, " I can't think of any other reason for her doing this than personal and political gain"

Maybe you should do a little brainstorming and think of additional reasons. She has worked with both Fenty and Gray for 4 years, which would give her more insight into their characters than you have.

Their are many people inside and outside of Ward three who share her views about Fenty and Gray.

We all do things that we see helping ourselves personally and politically. A representative, like Cheh, would of be thinking of what would help her constituents, because without them, she is out of a job.

Posted by: efavorite | September 2, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I am a Ward 3 resident and the parent of 2 children attending DCPS. I have been reading this blog as well as Bill Turque's blog in which he regularly provides slanted reports regarding Rhee. Accordingly, I am not surprised to see many of the same people providing their comments to this piece in support of Cheh's decision to endorse Gray. I am certain she has her motives and I am unwilling to ascribe a negative one without more information. I do, however, have some information about Fenty and Gray from a Ward 3 perspective. Fenty, since becoming Mayor has instituted a responsive e-mail and 311 system for city services, renovated schools and recreation facilities, retained population both within the city and the school system through the appointment and efforts of Chancellor Rhee, as well as providing improved policing and security within the city through the appointment of Cathy Lanier. All of these things improve the quality of life for city residences, and encourage people to stay in the city rather than moving out to the suburbs and taking the tax base with them. I for one have appreciated the effort. I recognize that both Fenty and Rhee have stepped on some toes and hurt some feelings. Do I wish they had instituted a little more diplomacy, yes, but I would not exchange that diplomacy for results. On the contrary, when I wrote Chairman Gray regarding my concerns I have received no response. It makes me question whether one city one voice includes Ward 3.

Posted by: worriedinDC | September 2, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

worriedinDC: From what I am interpreting from your statement it believes me to think that Vince Gray only cares about east of the river residents even though you are not coming out saying that.

If you want to vote for Fenty do it, but don't start trying to say that Mr. Gray only responds to letters east of the river.

I am sure that you probably live in a ward that gets more services than wards east of the river. Why not visit those wards and go back to your white wards and compare the difference. You would go back home and never complain again.

So vote for Fenty if you may. Stop trying to justify it.

A native Washingtonian.

Posted by: samvped205 | September 2, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Mary Cheh??? I dont understand how they even let her get on the council. I have never heard of anything that she has accomplished while being on the council. All she is good for is getting media time to talk about who her good buddies are. Good look for Gray, but it doesnt hold any weight in my book.

Posted by: SELegacy | September 2, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

"I recognize that both Fenty and Rhee have stepped on some toes and hurt some feelings. Do I wish they had instituted a little more diplomacy, yes, but I would not exchange that diplomacy for results"

So it's OK to say that teachers were RIFd because that had sex with children. It's OK that Fenty didn't show up for a scheduled debate on education that over 200 people signed up for because he "couldn't make it work."

Where does one draw the line, I wonder? How undiplomatic can Fenty/Rhee be before it's unacceptable. How much abuse should people (hopefully not us) be willing to take in exchange for results.

Posted by: efavorite | September 2, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

The Fenty camp's response shows the very antithesis of what Fenty is saying - that he's changed for the better. Why attack Cheh personally??? That is not going to win you any votes with Cheh supporters! Do you realize Cheh won her ward by 70% Why risk alienating those people??? You could not come up with a better response than that? Fenty's response was amateurish because he has amateurs running his campaign, just like he has amateurs running the Wilson Building. That is why he is at risk of losing. He has these idiot minions who are set loose do say and do as they please, without regard for the ramifications of their words and actions.

Posted by: LoveTheCapitol | September 2, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse