Michelle Fenty campaigns for her husband

Washington Post Editors

Michelle Cross Fenty, who broke down in tears when speaking to media about the mayor after a the Washington Post debate Wednesday, continues her efforts to reveal her husband's softer side.

At a "Women for Fenty" event Thursday, the city's first lady said she knows that Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) is not "arrogant" and was not involved in "contract steering" - perceptions that have dogged the mayor on the campaign trail against chief rival Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray.

Michelle Fenty described the mayor's heartbreak after visiting the mother who lost a child and after listening to unemployed youths inadequately educated in the city's public school system.

She delivered her remarks at a campaign event at the home of Lori Soto, wife of the mayor's longtime campaign treasurer Ben Soto.

"I get to see him and hear him with his three phones perched on his lap at 3 a.m. in the morning, having been up the entire night with his team, talking, texting, e-mailing his staff to figure out how to clear snow from our streets and get this city moving after a record-breaking snow storm threatened to immobilize us.  I assure you ladies and gentlemen, he is human," she said in comments released by the Fenty campaign.

She said the mayor empathizes with those who have long felt left out of the city's progress, driving him to push for the construction of the Deanwood Recreation Center in Ward 7 and to build and renovate schools in all the city's neighborhoods.

"...[M]y husband will not tolerate a school system where all the nice schools are only in the nice neighborhoods, the way it's been for decades in this city," she said. "And I wonder ...why the hate and the anger towards someone who in his heart of hearts has only one mission - and that is to effectively serve all of the constituents of this great city."

Here is the full text of Michelle Fenty's remarks at the event:

Thank you for that lovely introduction. Thank you Lori Soto for opening up your beautiful home. Thank you to Jan Fenty (our mayor's mum), my mother-in-law and my sister Athena for your love and support .  And a huge thank you to all of you ladies and gentlemen for being here tonight!

Wow---As I look around the room I see the faces of so many friends and loyal supporters---you are our strength! I am happy to be here in my home ward-Ward 4-can we hear it for Ward 4? Is Ward 4 going to deliver 4 more years?  As many of you know Adrian and I have lived here happily for the past 13 years---thank you Ward 4 for your support and your faith.

As you all know-- I am usually not the person to give the speeches- so I am not quite in my element.  I believe you also know that I chose at the outset to maintain my professional career, take care of my 3 young children and balance as much as a public role as my busy schedule would dictate.  And while I have not been very vocal or visible for these reasons I believe it is time to take advantage of my limited spotlight tonight to say a few very important things.

As concerned parents, I know you care that our public schools are no longer failing our children, and you also care that D.C.'s dedicated teachers have the chance to finally be paid what we all know they are truly worth.

As businesswomen in our own right, we all know that our government is working towards making this city the hub of thriving business and development so that District residents can be fully employed.

As concerned neighbors we all know that our neighborhoods are the safest they have ever been in decades.  I also know that you are all excited about the creation of thousands of affordable housing units including the creation of the Housing First program which provides permanent supportive housing for homeless individuals and families.

As women leaders- I know that you appreciate a Mayor who has appointed many of the best and brightest women to leadership roles within the government and I know that you are all filled with pride, just as I am, when I watch these fine women make significant strides in education, public safety and economic development just to name a few. Four years ago, would any of us have believed that we would have Chancellor Michelle, Chief Cathy, and Deputy Mayor Valerie?

As mothers, sisters, aunts, cousins and friends, I know you all understand that it takes a compassionate leader to ensure that our weakest, youngest, poorest and those least able to help themselves are given a strong voice so that their plight is not forgotten.

As proud residents of this ward and of this entire city, I know that you all appreciate all of the steps we are taking in the direction of becoming a World Class City.

Our Mayor is a catalyst -ladies and gentlemen-speeding up much needed change in our City.

But with all of the exciting changes that have truly transformed this great city, we all know that change has not been easy.

I often get asked--what is it like from your view.  I understand the question.  Yes, I have a front row seat ... and yes I've learned a lot about politics in the last few years.  It's tough, you need a thick skin and a good sense of humor.

I thought it would be good if I were able to give you a small glimpse into the Adrian Fenty- the person that I know.

I get to see the devastation on the Mayor's face when he comes home from visiting a mother in the hospital after her child has just died.

I get to see how disappointed he is when he talks to a group of unemployed young adults who can't understand why and how the DC education system gave them a diploma but didn't give them the tools they need to compete in the global economy.

I get to see him and hear him with his three phones perched on his lap at 3 a.m. in the morning, having been up the entire night with his team, talking, texting, e-mailing his staff to figure out how to clear snow from our streets and get this city moving after a record-breaking snow storm threatened to immobilize us.  I assure you ladies and gentlemen-he is human!

What is most painful- is that there are people out there who believe that the Mayor does not understand their issues.  It's absolutely heartbreaking to think that so many District residents feel disconnected from a mayor born and raised in D.C., who is married to me, and is raising our 3 children in the city where he's spent most of his life.   He doesn't just understand - he's like everyone else here.  He's lived with most of these issues and they are a part of who he is.

I know  that my husband fully understands the frustrations and problems of the people who feel like their neighborhoods never see any benefits regardless of who runs the city. It is for this reason that it was so important for him to build a state of the art recreation center in Ward 7 so that families in those communities could have a safe place for the kinds of activities many of us take for granted.  It is for this reason why it has been so important to work on lowering the crime statistics in all neighborhoods so that regardless of where you live -you have the same opportunity to be able to walk around and feel safe. It's why the Lawyers Committee on Civil Rights said there had been a sea change in the separate but unequal school facilities since 2007 - because my husband will not tolerate a school system where all the nice schools are only in the nice neighborhoods, the way it's been for decades in this city.

It's hard for me to see my husband reduced to a one dimensional fictional  character - that has no semblance of reality.  It's shocking to hear people use "arrogant" as an adjective to describe him. I would say awkward perhaps, definitely moving at a 1000 miles per hour means less time for subtle conversation.  But arrogance assumes that his directives of improving schools, lowering crimes, improving city services did not originally  come from the people, it assumes a lack of understanding of the basic tenet- that as Mayor he serves only at the pleasure of the people.

It's even harder ladies and gentleman to hear the reckless, manufactured, calculated and mean-spirited aspersions cast on my husband, me and our family.  I have known Adrian Fenty for the past 16 years.  He is the most honest and honorable person I know.  If you remember anything today I want you to remember this. The allegations on the contract steering are unequivocally, absolutely, categorically false.  My husband has treated the office of the Mayor with honesty integrity, character and fortitude.

So as we close in these final two weeks, I have come to recognize a simple yet important truth .... I recognize that Adrian Fenty's heart is with this City-the entire City- his city--I know that his dedication and commitment  to all of  the people of this City is unflinching- because despite the stinging barbs, the relentless criticisms, the manufactured misconceptions, the political miring of issues- he gets up every single day-says goodbye to our two sons, our baby daughter and me -closes the door tightly behind him and braves the political hail storm holding  steadfast---to this one important truth... that there is nothing he would rather do than serve All of the people of  Washington, D.C.

Thank you all for joining us on this mission--- We appreciate the privilege of serving--and with your help we look forward to another four years!

By Nikita Stewart  |  September 3, 2010; 8:31 AM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election , Nikita Stewart  | Tags: d.c. mayors race, fenty campaign
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brown's union friends spar with Orange in dueling mailers
Next: AFRO endorses Gray in mayor's race

Comments

I certainly appreciate the words from Mrs. Fenty.

However, I am not sure how she can defend the contracts issue. How she can defend the handling of her supposed friend, Bill Slover.

These facts are self-evident.

But then again, denial is a symptom for something else.

Posted by: LukasWP | September 3, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Queen Michelle, it's too late to come out in defense of King Fenty by campaigning for him. King Fenty is arrogant, vindictive, and childish.

King Fenty has shown favoritism to certain groups, his fraternity brothers, and wealthy whites. You are an embarrassment to black men King Fenty. You have hired very few qualified black males on your cabinet.

Posted by: Ward4DC | September 3, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

"I get to see him and hear him with his three phones perched on his lap at 3 a.m. in the morning, having been up the entire night with his team"

A good manager does not have to be up at 3 a.m. with three phones. He delegates.

And, I think there clearly was contract steering as mentioned above. Highly unethical.

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | September 3, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Why is the blog on what Michelle Fenty has to say at a fundraiser deserve such complete coverage? Because the Washington Post endorsed the Mayor. There has never been such a complete and lengthy blog on what Gray has said at many of his fundraisers and Ward forums. What Michelle sees at home IS far different from the way that he has treated many many people during his administration. The point of this article for me is that Michelle is JUST as oblivious to the harm he has caused as Adrian is. The consensus all around the city is that Adrian is mean, insensitive and arrogant. Guess we all have it wrong about him, right?

Posted by: dcchamp1 | September 3, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I really do have some sympathy for Mrs. Fenty’s position in all this.

Unfortunately, the main message that comes through for me is arrogance, denial and chastisement.

It’s as if she’s demanding that citizens believe her and forget everything they’ve seen with their own eyes.

Posted by: efavorite | September 3, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I am very glad she is out there supporting her husband. She appear genuine and lovely.

I can understand why would she not get involved, I probably wouldn't get involved either. I am watching this debate and is very clear that Fenty is the real deal and Fray is a HUGE mistake.

Thanks Fox 5 for the debate and thanks for this coverage Nikita.

Posted by: mayorfordc | September 3, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Um, Mrs. Fenty, if we've never connected with your husband, what makes you think we will listen to someone like you, whom we've rarely seen over the past four years?

Posted by: linroy62 | September 3, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Mrs. Fenty's point of view might be a little biased (understatement).

It is lovely that she has so much faith in her husband and sees his time as Mayor only filled with good deeds and honorable intentions.

However, the truth is different. Teachers and other government workers who have been unfairly treated and or fired and residents who have attempted to connect with this Mayor or his ever changing staff tell of a different side of this Mayor.

Could we all be wrong and Mrs. Fenty is the only one with clarity?

I doubt it.

Posted by: 2belinda | September 3, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

She reminds me of the wife of Baby Doc Duvalier as he was run out of Haiti. And looks like her too. I saw her event on Channel 7 last night and I was wondering if the Fenty's even know anyone who isn't White or passing for White. The room was full of creoles! Add the British accent and you have a recipe for a DISCONNECT with the public in DC!

Posted by: PepperDr | September 3, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Only the little people would dare to call Fenty arrogant.

Posted by: CubsFan | September 3, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

What kind of logic is this? Here you have a man who has consistently gone out of his way to attack others, and then when there's a backlash, the wife steps in and says it's not right that so many people are now attacking them. Fenty drove the taxicab rate down to $1.50 per mile. Now it's time for them to pay the price. I have no sympathy.

Posted by: starclimber9 | September 3, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Here's what we found concerning the DC contracts with 'NO SPIN'.

I encourage you to check it out, and please vote responsibly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsUUHQWdNj8

Posted by: jobforce | September 3, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

That's nice that she tries to convince us her husband is human, has feelings, cares about the city, makes mistakes, etc. Guess what, so are the workers and teachers he and Rhee have so callously fired yet there was no second chance nor compassion for them. Why should there be for him? What goes around always comes around!

Posted by: UrbanDweller | September 3, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

i hope he didnt beat or do you bodily harm for you to say those things......... No one likes him or cares what u think Michelle!!! Go away!!!

Posted by: ms88dcps | September 3, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

It is completely unethical for the Washington Post to publish, word for word, a mere campaign speech by the wife of the mayor soon to be ousted from office. When do you Gray and all the other candidates get their chance at free advertising?? Ridiculous!!

King Feny IS arrogant; he acknowledges it in his own commercials!!! Mrs. Fenty, when you try to convince us that black is white, up is down, you lose all credibility. And you don't have any political credibility to begin with because nobody knows who you are!

No more A-list parties and low number tags for you. Best to start getting King Fenty reacclimated to private practice...there are plenty of seniors out there waiting to be defrauded.

Posted by: hoos3014 | September 3, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Get a grip Michelle, if Adrian gets caught at 3:00 AM with a cell phone in his ear it is because he is trying to "hook up" with one of his "frat buddies" for a "work out".
Didn't it dawn on you he was trying to mobilize a massive snow removal in September? Honey, guess who is getting snowed? I guess having Alex Evans and Clark Ray living in your rumpus room wasn't clue enough.

The Baby Doc Duvalier comparison is wholly apt here as to Frau Fenty, her name was Michelle too. The political figure that Fenty most completely mirrors though is Ray Nagin, Ray Nagin & Adrian Fenty = Separated at birth!

Posted by: SoCali | September 3, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Words from an arrogant woman.

Posted by: CalmTruth | September 3, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I hate too see the negative comments on Michelle Fenty. She is a really smart woman who seems to be doing a great job of bringing up her three really cute and smart kids. Unfortunately when you get into the political arena as she just has, you open yourself up to the slings and arrows that come with that.

I first met Michelle Fenty in 2005 when I began working for her husband's election. I was the issue chair for his campaign. I worked with hundreds of people to help draft the platform on which he ran. At that time Mrs. Fenty didn't take any real role in the campaign and instead, and very decisively, said she would concentrate on her career and her children. I actually admired her for doing that. Over the ensuing years I have seen her numerous time and had dinner with her and her family and she has kept to that committment.

The problem now is that she is suddenly back in the campaign in the last two weeks and only because it seems pretty clear that Adrian will not win his reelection. It would have been more believable had she come back into the campaign last January when the Post poll came out showing how people felt about her husband. Now it just seems like one big political ploy.

I still admire Michelle Fenty as an individual and always will.

But I do not think her husband deserves a second term in office. He is arrogant and he has walked away from all the people who elected him. He may be up early in the morning but that is usually to train for a bike race, not to deal with City issues.

I will vote for Vincent Gray this time. I think that he has clearly made his case and that he will be a Mayor with integrity, intelligence and a committment to re-unite this city. He will continue to move us forward into the 21st century, continue education reform and the reform of city agencies, but do it in a way that will benefit all the people of the District. I urge everyone to cast their vote for Vincent Gray for Mayor.

Posted by: peterdc | September 3, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Arh Fenty want a cracker…Fenty want a cracker! Parrot Michelle Fenty

Michelle Fenty said “What is most painful- is that there are people out there who believe that the Mayor does not understand their issues. It's absolutely heartbreaking to think that so many District residents feel disconnected from a mayor born and raised in D.C.”

Michelle Fenty also said “And I wonder ...why the hate and the anger towards someone who in his heart of hearts has only one mission - and that is to effectively serve all of the constituents of this great city.”

Michelle continued saying “It's hard for me to see my husband reduced to a one dimensional fictional character - that has no semblance of reality. It's shocking to hear people use "arrogant" as an adjective to describe him. I would say awkward perhaps”

Like I said yesterday and I’m going to say it again today you can’t come out in the 4th quarter with 3 seconds left on the clock to try and humanize the Gestapo.

Note to the Fenty Campaign staff. You waited too long to bring Michelle out. She needed more time to become comfortable in this type of environment. She’s not ready! She can’t be ready in two weeks. What she is doing is Parroting what her husband is saying. I doubt she knows about the $83 million stolen from District residents. She can’t speak on schools when she/Gestapo waited until last year to put their kids into a public school. And when she did the twins ended up going to one of the best schools, in Chevy Chase, which is out-of-boundary for the Fenty’s, and it’s to a school that never has out-boundary spots.

Michelle is is some advice, you come off very elitist. What you and the Washington Post have accomplished in this f’ed up post is that you have undervalued, underestimated and marginalized the feelings of most District residents. It sounded as if you peasant people are ungrateful.

What you have accomplished so well is to demonstrate your disconnect with most of the citizens in D.C. because you don’t have a connection and you never even attempted to have a connection beyond charity events, White House dinners, and tennis matches. If you did then you would have been knowledgeable on why people felt (or you would have at the very least emphasized) with why they felt that your Gestapo husband was arrogant and corrupt and liar with bloated accomplishments that are mostly predicated on work done from the previous administration.

I’m surprised that you are surprised do you have any real friends who may have clued you in on how people felt? Do you read any of the newspapers? Do you have any connection to city beyond the enclave of the gold coast?

Posted by: thelildiva4u | September 3, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Dear Mrs. Fenty,

Have you met your husband? Of course your husband is arrogant, and you are fully aware of this. However, you have accepted his flaws and adjusted to having his selfish and childish behavior in your life. The citizens of the District DO NOT have to accept such arrogant (gasp), childish, selfish, illegal behavior from an elected official. Your crocodile tears and your husband's new found humility are not moving at all. Actually, it once again shows how self-serving both of you are.

Good Riddens!

Posted by: NewtoDC2 | September 3, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I loved Mrs. Fenty's speech. And I don't have anything against her. But the facts don't match her account of things. The trail of corruption is undeniable.

Posted by: forgetthis | September 3, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Though I don't doubt Michelle Fenty's geniune and heartfelt sentiments, she has to realize first off that her husband has alienated a significant number of DC residents whether for the good or ill of the city. He must acknowledge his political missteps and move on to directly address the city's issues and his plans for resolution. Politics isn't necessarily about reality but the perception of it. The prevailing perception is that Fenty apathetic and arrogant. Whether this is true or not is irrelevant. The perception has to dealt with. This current high drama doesn't help his cause, if anything it will hurt his chances at re-election.

Posted by: UnknownHenson | September 3, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, and so he and Rhee have both put their kids in out of boundary, west of the park schools. What a sham and what proof of people who are giving more lip service to improving schools than actually doing so. They of all people should know that when the people with power (e.g. mayor, chancellor, etc) put their kids in certain schools they will improve them and attract others who will work to improve them. Thus, both West elementary and Brightwood in the heart of Ward 4 should be getting the benefit of the Mayor and Chancellor as parents. The truth is that Lafayette (Ward 3 & 4) and Oyster are getting them as parents when they are already packed with the helicopter parents of the world. And they wonder why Ward 4 is sour on Fenty? Well this is just one more contributing factor. Sorry Michelle, but you and your husband are bad neighbors in Ward 4.

Posted by: blankspace | September 3, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Lildiva

get the facts right first. They were never awarded $83or $82 million. It was in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Also there were 12 competitive bids. Read the facts people!!

on another note: Name me two things that Vince Gray has done for this city? ......YOU CANT!!! dont get fooled people... Can you imagine Gray(i like what you are doing Mr. Mayor but I will do it nicer) and Kwame(Im $700,000 in debt and lied to acquire more debt, but let me mannage your billions of dollars) ? What a disaster. Stop thinking with emotion and use some logical sense. Fenty has accomplished A LOT. I dont need him to come and have dinner with me. Just get things done!!

Posted by: ata1 | September 3, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I think Michelle is very sincere, intelligent woman who is telling you what she sees happening. The Mayor has spent all his time reshaping the services in this city and is being critized for not smoozing with people, so now they call him arrogant. Gray has pulled out the republican play book and just has to tear down his opponent to look good. Gray has yet to say what he, Gray, is for. Those who are voting for Gray assume he will continue Fenty's programs but the man is not capable nor does he have the drive to accomplish as much as Fenty has done in four years of rocking the boat and recreating. A vote for Gray is for a do nothing Mayor and services that won't get delivered. Be sure you know what you are voting for.

Posted by: voter20 | September 3, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

ummm, SoCali, Ray Nagin actually won his second term. And he was actually popular among blacks and whites in the city before Katrina hit and the whole "chocolate city" fiasco.

I agree with the other posters; Fenty is arrogant. Look at his interviews. Does he even do those anymore? I know he stopped interviewing on Channel 4 in the morning. He was mean to the journalists, and he had no tact or diplomacy. One time the interview blacked out in the middle because he was embarrassing himself terribly. I don't see how one can possibly erase years of arrogance from the memories of those who witnessed it first hand.

Posted by: forgetthis | September 3, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I could care less what Michelle Fenty has to say after 4 years of silence. My biggest issue is the fact that since circa 2004 or so, everyone feels the need to remind us how many damn phones this clown has! I have a smartphone with the ability to recieve email from several accounts (work/personal), why would anyone need 3 phones... its just wastefuly an not effecient or economical!

Posted by: AJordanMBA | September 3, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Ata1....ummm here is how it works They subcontracted it out, frequently paying a lot less than they charged the government. For instance, Banneker Ventures -- owned by Fenty frat brother Omar Karim -- paid Liberty Engineering -- owned by Fenty frat brother Sinclair Skinner -- $46,800 for a site survey of the Park View Rec Center.

Skinner's firm was not licensed to do the work, but subcontracted it to Currie & Associates. Currie & Associates was paid approximately $8,000 for doing the actual work. So, Skinner got $38,000 for passing on a contract worth $8,000. Nice work if you can find it (or have it given to you by your frat brother). This pattern was repeated over and over to the tune of millions of dollars. So, I would suggest that much of the money was, in fact, squandered. .

Posted by: thelildiva4u | September 3, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Fenty is a liar and a crook. Michelle, of course you don't believe that Adrian is arrogant - water seeks its own level. You two were made for one another. Enjoy the beating.

Posted by: ashafer_usa | September 3, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Shut up Michelle. No one cares what you have to say. Your husband is a corrupt, arrogant ass who deserves everything that is coming his way.

Posted by: firefenty9-14 | September 3, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Fool me once shame on you1

Fool me me twice shame on _______!

Question: who owns the green streets company that public works sub-contracts to sweeps streets.

And who has an office in the old Greater Southeast Hospital running the company?

Don't feel sorry...a bigger player!

Fool me once shame on you...

Fool me twice shame on _______!

Posted by: gordonbundy | September 3, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Ata 1,
thelildiva4u is absolutely correct!

In addition to marking-up Currie & Associates surveys by 500%, Skinner charged every contractor a 9% extortion fee to gain access to the $83 mil Fenty funneled to Skinner and Banneker via DC Parks & Rec.

Ata 1, if you want to know the facts and enlighten yourself, here’s the link to the city council hearing with Skinner. Please click on 4/15/10:

P.S. A mind is a terrible thing to waste!

Posted by: GoldCoast | September 3, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

It took alot of courage and loyalty to stand up for Mayor Fenty. It shows how as blacks we tend to lack loyalty and respect for progress by going against OUR Mayor Adrian Fenty! I pray the District doesn't allow our school system and the progress of DC to fail by supporting Gray.

I've never trusted any of the politicians from OLD DC except Anthony Williams who not only supports Fenty but ENDORSED him! Please DC residents STAND up for PROGRESS, I believe Fenty will straighten up his personality issues this time around. Vote Fenty 2010!

Posted by: BCW12 | September 3, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Where do I begin?? Any spouse who really wants to inspire growth, introspection and maturity in their mate should first acknowledge the facts--YOUR HUSBAND IS ARROGANT and has dodged the same ball he has used to pummel other civil servants who have ignored protocol and broken the rules. Why were your sons in an out-of-bounds school? Why have the peace-a-holics given so much money? Why were you being escorted around town like Joseph and Mary as you rode your bike?

Fenty sucks, BUT NOT BECAUSE HE MADE MISTAKES... we all do! But because he can't man the hell up and own his crap. Michele--get a grip! you should have said--I KNOW HE HAS CRAP WITH HIM, BUT I ASSURE YOU THAT AS A FAMILY WE ARE WORKING ON IT!

THIS WAS OUR FIRST TERM AND NOT EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT, BUT SURELY THE STRIDES WE'VE MADE COUNT FOR SOMETHING. Give Adrian another chance, and I assure you that my husband will prove that he is the mayor of ALL DC RESIDENTS. But you are so arrogant, that you don't even know that this is the route to take!! Sickening...

Posted by: Ddoubleu | September 3, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Where do I begin??

Fenty sucks, BUT NOT BECAUSE HE MADE MISTAKES... we all do! But because he can't man the heck up and own his crap. Michele--get a grip! you should have said--I KNOW HE HAS CRAP WITH HIM, BUT I ASSURE YOU THAT AS A FAMILY WE ARE WORKING ON IT!

Posted by: Ddoubleu | September 3, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Mrs. Fenty, the “first lady” of Washington, DC, chose to be visible to Washington's elite and invisible to the other 99.9% of the population.

Her image as one of DC’s top “best dressed” is so important to her that on Wednesday, she took her stylist to a “televised” debate hosted by The Washington Post.

Not a smart move Mrs. Fenty to flaunt your personal stylist at a televised event when your husband is trailing in the polls.

I’m a native Washingtonian and I can’t recall any of the first ladies either having or traveling with a stylist.

This ain’t the “Real Housewives of DC” and the mayor’s constituents would have preferred knowing Mrs. Fenty from her work in the community and not from her interviews where she brags about her Vera Wang dresses and $800.00 Manolo Blahniks shoes.

Mrs. Fenty, like her husband, is out of touch with DC residents; therefore her voice is absolutely worthless.

Posted by: GoldCoast | September 3, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

BCW12....Did you know that Anothony Williams endorsed Linda Cropp in 2006?

Posted by: thelildiva4u | September 3, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Umm, yeah. Ddoubleu pretty much nailed it.

Shame that $4M couldn't buy him some simple, common sense advice like that.

"Yes" men don't give good advice...they just tell you what you want to hear.

Posted by: hoos3014 | September 3, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Voter20 said “The Mayor has spent all his time reshaping the services in this city and is being critized for not smoozing with people, so now they call him arrogant.”

From the Washington City Paper commenter: My biggest complaint about Fenty is that the greatest thing he ever accomplished was convincing the new residents that Anthony Williams never existed. New residents think that before Fenty it was a wasteland but Fenty/Rhee turned it around.

Posted by: thelildiva4u | September 3, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Arh Michelle Fenty?

Please tell us why your girlfriend Kelly Valentine and her chief of staff (who was your roommate in college) are being investigated by FBI on the Insurance Scandal with the Office of Risk Management? How do you feel that your girlfriend transferred $3 to $6 million dollars to other accounts. How did you feel knowing that she was unqualified for the position but yet your husband appointed her away?

Arh Michelle Fenty?
Please tell us Mrs. Fenty why you, your husband and your husband’s God Father, Peter Nickels, have fought tooth and nail to keep the accounting records for Anacostia Water Corporation where it was alleged that you received tens of thousands of dollars for work that you did in a field that you had no knowledge of?

Posted by: thelildiva4u | September 3, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

lildiva,

The word for Peter Nickels is "consigliere", not God Father. As we are hurling insults at our soon-to-be-ex-mayor, lets get the terms right. :)

Posted by: hoos3014 | September 3, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Mrs. Fenty does not adorn the mantle of "First Lady" and never has. She needs to sit down, ride out the storm, and keep quiet. The more she talks the more she puts her foot in her mouth.

Posted by: PrimaDiva | September 3, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Fenty: Instead of helping your husband you are hurting him by coming out 1 1/2 weeks before the election. No one know you or cares what you have to say and for that matter who are you?

You are coming across as selfish, arrogant and trying to make people think that they are just plain stupid.

We all know that you enjoyed the benefits of being the mayor's wife but did not care about the residents of DC. When Gray wins, you will no longer have 1st class services.

How dare you come out with what kind of man your husband is like we have not had to deal with him these past years. How could you husband fire over 600 teachers, mostly black and employees who had over 20 years of service.

I would be willing to bet you that you haven't even been east of the river unless it was something to benefit you. I would have more respect for you if you as a quote on quote mayor's wife, would had at least mentored young adults on what it takes to become an attorney, but all you think about is yourself, just like your husband.

Well like I said in a previous blog,
"Harpo who is tis women, and where has she been."

Stop thinking we are stupid. We will show you whose stupid on Tuesday, September 14th when we vote your husband out.

In fact as for me and my house, we voted for Gray this week.

Have a great every day life like the rest of us in DC.

I do not feel sorry for your husband nor do I feel sorry for you. Your tears will not change the minds of the voters of DC, but only make them mad.

Posted by: samvped205 | September 3, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Michelle: BTW - Name affordable housing in DC.

Posted by: samvped205 | September 3, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

"I know you care that our public schools are no longer failing our children..."

Mrs. Fenty, if you believe this why aren't you sending your kids to their home school in Ward 4 or to any other school that is not in Ward 3 or on Capitol Hill?

Actions speak louder than words.

Posted by: letsbereal2 | September 3, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

After reading the following, I had to respond.

Posted by: PepperDr

While I respect the opinions of those who oppose Mayor Fenty's politics and policies, I find it sad and disappointing that so many Washingtonians find it necessary to make personal attacks on the mayor and now even his wife, particularly relating the perception that he is somehow not "black enough".

Whats so ironic about these attacks is that they are the same personal attacks leveled against former mayor Anthony Williams four years ago. To a large extent, Mr. Fenty benefited from the personal dislike that many black Washingtonians felt toward Mayor Williams. Even though Mayor Williams wasn't on the ballot, Mr. Fenty was able to position himself as the anti-Williams. Sharon Pratt Kelly was also subjected to the blackness police in her re-election bid against Mr. Blackness himself, Marion Berry. Looking forward four years from now, If elected, I can promise you that the widespread support Mr. Gray now enjoys with black Washingtonians will have disappeared and he too will be subjected to the same ignorant questioning of his blackness by many of his by then former supporters. By the way, I'm a dark skinned African American male. I voted for Linda Cropp four years ago. Though I believe he could have handled some issues differently, at least from a public relations standpoint, I think Mayor Fenty has done a really good job of running the city and is trying really hard to address some deep and long lasting issues, most notably the schools and educating our children to compete in the new world in which we live. For these reasons, I have decided that I'll vote to keep Mayor Fenty on the job for another four years.

Posted by: youngjo381 | September 3, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Fenty is pulling out all the stops...even using his fam to win. Putting your family out there is dangerous...now time to see whats in the family closet.

Posted by: DCJUSTICE | September 3, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

hoos3014

You know that Peter is his god father. He was the one who got him off the charge of stealing from the old man.

Posted by: thelildiva4u | September 3, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

youngjo381: Pictures speak a thousand words. For example, Vince Gray is just as light as Fenty, but no one ever accused him of favoring only the "light, bright, damn near white" and I say that as a light skinned person. So I'm only pointing out the sad truth--her posse looked like it came straight out of the "wannabes" in Spike Lee's School Daze.

Posted by: PepperDr | September 3, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Michelle: Love is blind. The rest of us can see.

Posted by: candycane1 | September 3, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Ok, ok, white guy from the burbs of Nothern Virginia. Maybe I don't know it all, but I have followed the whole DC mayorial race with great interest. Folks are making a mistake for grilling the Mayor for his efforts with the schools. Plain and simple. Teachers who have no business teaching children have collected paychecks for YEARS in DC. Now, a mayor wants to run them off, and he gets crushed for that? C'mon, people. He is a good, not great mayor - but he is losing votes because he is not considered "black enough". Grey will not be as effectual, the schools will languish, and ... mark this down.... mark it... there will be much MORE corruption under the next regime.

This is the city that still votes for Marion Berry, for God's sake! Ye reap what ye sow, DC voters!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: irishfan73 | September 3, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Irishfan73: stay in Virginia and mind your own business. We vote for whomever we want. Your comments doesn't matter. I voted for Gray this week and proud of it.

Worry about what going on in VA and live DC to the pros.

Posted by: samvped205 | September 3, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

It was hugh mistake to put his wife out there to put a new light on him. She has really made matters worse by offending us voters as though we have been working in the fields and needed her to inform us of the "Master's" human ways when he did not respect us as humans. Even if you believe what you were TOLD to say at the event last night, why did you take the time to give a political speech to the people who evidently are supporting your husband? Oh, I know, you knew there was an arrangement with the Washington Post put your entire SPEECH in the paper. Now,you really have offended the field workers... Oops, I mean voters.

Posted by: ejones2 | September 3, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I will guarantee you this, once Sir Adrian is out of office, Michelle will divorce him, immediately!!!!

Posted by: daughterofold | September 3, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

For irishfan73 and ALL you “Nay Sayers” Check these out. This is just a tip of the ice berg.
http://octt.dc.gov/services/on_demand_video/on_demand_April_2010_week_3.shtm. Posted by GoldCoast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsUUHQWdNj8. Posted by “jobforce”

http://octt.dc.gov/services/on_demand_video/on_demand_April_2010_week_3.shtm. Posted by ?.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dc/2009/09/dc_attorney_general_fires_back.html. posted by thelildiva4u.

http://oct.dc.gov/services/on_demand_video/on_demand_August_2010_week_1.shtm: click on 8/02/2010 (the last person is testifying under oath. You know what happens to rascals that lie under oath).

Posted by: prof26 | September 3, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I forgot the Mayor has a wife.

Posted by: Marlo2 | September 3, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

youngjo381 - Did you know the school's progress in going backwards?

To white guy from VA--With the choices you made re: your gov. and attorney general, your state is heading back to becoming a confederate state.

Posted by: guylady201001 | September 3, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Irishfan, er, so race is the only reason why we (blacks) support candidates? Adrian Fenty has done a fantastic job blackalizing himself with the addition of campaign strategist, former criminal, Ron Moten. He's done everything from go-go concerts to supporting complete fallacies told by local radio personalities. You know the guy, Big G, the one on whose behalf Fenty petitioned to have his gun charges dropped. That Big G. Unh hunh, him.

Being black ain't Fenty's problem, although I understand it's a comfortable argument some nonblacks. There is a large middle class black population in DC and with that number, it's insulting for you to think that we don't have the intellectual capacity to have more than one (rather insignificant) thing, especially Fenty not being black enough.

It would be insulting for me to say that "white people are against Obama only because he's black." That would wrongly assume that race is the only thing that matters to you. Policy or governance be damned.

One FYI, in DC we have Wards - eight of them. There is a W A R D that votes for Marion BArry.

Posted by: dcis1 | September 3, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

What a circus!

Lest we forget Ben Soto of Paramount Development Group, who is Fenty's chair and Treasurer and whose wife hosted the event, is another one of Fenty's cronies. Partnered with DBT Development Group he (Soto) was slated to benefit from a multi million dollar deal that would have included Child and Family Services Agency buying or leasing space on their undeveloped 1.3 acre lot on Benning Road. Despite the fact that they had not yet been awarded the deal with CFSA it was reported that Soto himself spent $11 million on "pre-development investment" to ensure CSFA's occupancy. The project was "tailored specifically to meet the needs of CSFA" however the deal was dropped abruptly - like it was HOT- by the Fenty administration. Given recent reports regarding Fenty and HIS FRIENDS it was probably just that -- HOT!

Like Omar Karim and Sinclair Skinner, Soto had little or not actual development experience before Fenty took office yet since 2006 he has been linked to numerous government involved development deals throughout the city.

From the look of things the pay to play accusation leveled by Don Peebles regarding Fenty and HIS FRIENDS doesn't seen off the mark.

While investigations are already under way regarding Karim and Skinner the authorities also need to look in Soto's closet.

I ask: While Fenty and HIS FRIENDS supported by Peter Nickles ran amuck who was policing them and looking out for the citizens of the District?

Posted by: jemac777 | September 3, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

DO NOT BE FOOLED MY MICHELLE FENTY. WHEN YOU PEEL BACK THE ONION SKIN, SHE IS AS BAD AND VILE AS HE IS. HOW MANY EVENTS IN WARD, 5,7,AND 8 HAS SHE ATTENDED VS EMBASSY EVENTS SHE HAS ATTENDED OR EVENTS NEAR MAZZA GALLERY? THIS IS A WOMEN WHO IS ONLY TRYING TO SAVE HER "A" LIST LIFE STYLE. BECAUSE SHE KNOWS THE ONLY THING HER HUSBAND CAN DO IS GO BACK TO BEING A HUSTLER, LOW BROW LAWYER WHO SCAMS HIS SENIOR CITIZEN CLIENTS OUT OF THEIR MONEY. THE FENTY'S ARE COMMON AND LOW BROW THEY HAVE NO CLASS.

Posted by: diahhna | September 3, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Irishfan, where have you read that people think Fenty is not "black enough"? NOWHERE. Many blacks in DC are educated - I mean not just college degrees but advanced degrees as well. And guess what, just like white people they are able to read the newspaper, assess what they have read and evaluate a candidate on his/her merits and not just look at race. Just like you can - believe it or not! Also, many black families in DC make six figures, have paid way more than they should have for their homes, want their children to have a good education, live in a safe neighborhood and be able to resell their house at a profit. Blacks are not STUPID SHEEP that need to be lead and told what to do and who to vote for. We can figure that out for ourselves. Black people voted for Mary Cheh, Mendelson, Graham and Schwartz - clearly, they don't just look at race. Get your head out of your Virginass (mispelling intentional).

Posted by: LoveTheCapitol | September 3, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

“We Believe in Mayor Fenty” – Please check out the videos that we have created in support of the Mayor. It shows a Ward 6 mother supporting Mayor Fenty, a Ward 3 mother, and a small Latino business, La Morenita, expressing their strong support.

We also created a poster for each Ward, where you can print, post and show your friends that the Mayor Believes in the District.

Twitter: @WeBelieveFENTY

Vote FENTY – September 14, 2010!

Posted by: davidgdo | September 3, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Gray, yes that is Mr. Gray, proudly wearing a Banneker Ventures Hat at the ground breaking of Deanwood Recreation Center.

Fenty has done the most for our city and is a comprehensive mayor in terms of education, housing, economic development, and city services. Check the stats, Fenty has never claimed credit for ideas that sat on the table for years. He certaintly deserves credit for giving DC deliverables. Deliverables are the actions executed to carry out an idea from start to finish. If anyone has a valid reason as to why from 1979-2007, not even half of the schools, recreation centers, and libraries done under the Fenty administration, were built, I would like to hear it. I live in Ward 8, so again, if anyone can tell me one thing new in the previous 10 years that ward 5, 7 or 8 received before Mayor Fenty took office I would love to hear it.

Gray, was in fact the Director of DHS under Sharon Pratt Kelly and did in fact directly cause the city to pay over 5 million dollars in fines for NOT housing the homeless, 1 million in fines for a having a foster care system declared unconstitutional by Congress, and for mismanaging a billion dollar budget. Yet, when it publicly referenced about his record of failures, he laughs it off. Don't believe me, than check the debate from 09.01.10.

Most recently, Mr. Gray cut the funding for the summer youth job program even though the White House and DHS wrote letters urging that the money under the TANF program for FY 12 be used. He also cut the funding for the Benning Road streetcar project in March 2010; which cost the city 24 million dollars in losses. DC had to take out a loan which will have to be repaid over the next 10 years. He gace William C Smith over 300 million in contracts and yes they put up that illegal fence at his home. Lets talk about Barbara Bailey, mother of Emanuel Bailey, whom has a shady record of dealing with the government, and has publicly acknowledged secret meetings with Marion Barry and Gray since 2008. Check the record on why Marion Barry has been censored from City Council. Last but not least, Gray gave Harry Thomas Jr. gang intervention funds. So it is no wonder why Fenty is the obvious choice. Look at Gray’s campaign staff, all older persons who can not tell you one thing Gray has done for the city or how he can even pay for the what he is promising everyone? I don’t give a darn if Fenty is arrogrant, he gets the job done. Our city received 75 million in race to the top funds and four years ago DC has cited for having the worst schools in the nation. I am not risking progress for someone who is poverty pimp like Gray.

Posted by: AmandaBroadnax | September 4, 2010 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Michelle Fenty is a female version of her husband and Adrian Fenty cannot spell the words integrity, ethical or honesty and he sure does not possess these traits and neither does she.

Posted by: diahhna | September 4, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

AmandaBroadnax

Where did you get your talking points? All the crap you are spewing is not working. Have another drink of Fenty Kool Aid and stop the madness.

You talk about a "poverty pimp" then you accuse Gray of stopping the SYEP earlier (a program your boy has overspent for years). You are lying so fast that you forgot to make any sense.

We get it, you love Fenty and hate Gray but please make an attempt to speak to the facts.

Since you seem to have something against "old people", I can only imagine you have no problems with crook Fenty stealing from an old man.

Unless you are an independent, unaffiliated or republican, please vote early and waste your vote on Fenty.

Posted by: guylady201001 | September 4, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

May I add Amanda that the money that was to be used to add an additional week for SYEP would have been taken from homeless families.

So what her wore the hat. Did he steer contracts toward the same four to five friends? Test scores are down, sexual assults and robberies are up, he miss spent the surplus and 90% of econ projects were already in play. If you want to bring up the lottery contract the I suggest folks type in Warren Williams into google and see how the other lottery contract person backed by Fenty would have benifted.

lets talk about the street cars . Thee is no plan. But having no plan is how the Fenty admin rolls. Shoot 1st and ask questions last....or should I say cut and paste like Victor Renoiso

Posted by: thelildiva4u | September 4, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Warren Williams has been eating good and would have been obese if the lottery contract went his way...all the way home to PG County.

Posted by: thelildiva4u | September 4, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

A commenter posted an audio of Rhee and I can’t believe Rhee admitted to abusing children when she was a teacher in Baltimore! To silence 2nd graders-- African American babies-- she placed MASKING TAPE on their mouths.

Rhee tells this story to her new Teach America hirees and they find it hilarious. She then elaborates on how she told them to pull off the MASKING TAPE and their mouths were bleeding and they were yelling and crying.

Rhee and her new employees found this sadistic, abusive act towards African American children to be quite funny. If this happened to one of her daughters, I know Rhee would have had the teacher terminated.

The gall of Rhee to make false child abuse claims against DC teachers, when in fact, she’s the one with the questionable past. I can’t believe Baltimore School System didn’t fire her!

Rhee would have never placed MASKING TAPE on the mouths of children from Wards 2 & 3. She would have placed them in the “naughty corner.”

PLEASE, PLEASE LISTEN TO THE AUDIO; YOU WILL BE IN DISBELIEF !!

Also, please repost this so others can hear what Rhee is capable of and what she finds amusing.

HERE’S THE LINK:

Posted by: GoldCoast | September 5, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

The hatred and culture of disparagement surrounding this election is horrible.

At this point, no matter which candidate becomes mayor, the only real winner here will be our city's reputation for ignorance, negativity, and disparagement of others.

I am old enough to remember the bad old days. We don't want to go back there. How are we ever going to lift our people up, if all we do is tear each other apart?

Posted by: privacy5 | September 5, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse