Rhee to join Fenty in rally Saturday morning

Nikita R Stewart

To kick off early voting in Ward 3, the base of Mayor Adrian M. Fenty's support in his reelection bid, schools Chancellor Michelle A. Rhee will join the mayor at a rally at the Broad Branch Farmers Market in Chevy Chase at 8 a.m. Saturday.

The Fenty campaign sent e-mails to supporters and encouraged them to "wear green," Fenty's campaign color.

The mayor is in an uphill battle against chief rival Council Chairman Vincent C. Gray in the Sept. 14th Democratic primary, according to a new Washington Post poll that shows Gray with a 17-point lead among likely Democratic voters.

On the campaign trail, Fenty has criticized Gray for failing to take a position on whether he would retain Rhee, who has become a national figure in education reform, if he is elected. The Post poll shows that Rhee is as liked as she is disliked among voters but is favored more by white voters.

Chevy Chase Community Center is one of four neighborhood voting sites that will open Saturday morning for early voting.

The e-mail reads: "Four years ago, Adrian Fenty promised change. He has delivered for you and your neighbors by raising test scores, lowering crime and improving city services. Fenty is the competent leader we need to continue the progress."

The e-mail does not use Rhee's title of "schools chancellor." She is limited by the Hatch Act, the federal law prohibits District employees from using "their official authority or influence to interfere with the result of an election."

By Nikita R Stewart  |  September 3, 2010; 4:23 PM ET
Categories:  2010 District Election , Mayor Fenty , Nikita Stewart , vincent gray  | Tags: Adrian M. Fenty, Chevy Chase, Michelle A. Rhee, Vincent C. Gray, Ward 3, primary
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sierra Club Endorses Gray
Next: Rhee rallies voters for Fenty

Comments

That's right Fenty, keep sucking up to your base.

How about bring Rhee, your boss, to Wards 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

Posted by: guylady201001 | September 3, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

So now Fenty you are using the white voters. You used and abused the African Americans votes and now you cannot fool So now you are trying to use the white voters. So much for a change. You are still trying to divide the city along race lines.Shame on you. Can't wait until Sept. 14th when you are voted out. I voted for Gray on Thursday.

Are white voters so much into themselves that they cannot connect with other races? Is it just all about you all the time. Don't you even care how he treated African American, hispanics, etc.

You have always had everything on a silver platter. You have lived in the best of neighbors, you have been able to get the best jobs, you have been able to send your children to the best of schools and you have also been able to take the best of vacations.

If you are fooled by Fenty, I don't know what to think of your as a race. Don't let Fenty use you.

Are you reading any of the blogs about the things that Fenty has done? If not, you need to start.

Posted by: samvped205 | September 3, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Is this the political base that believes that test scores are up? Will Moten be there?

Posted by: candycane1 | September 3, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

But I thought this election wasn't about Ms Rhee...

Posted by: ceebee2 | September 3, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

candycane,thats a good thought. i was out at the debate this morning,how come fenty dont bring put the bull horn guys whenever he is in a white comunity.maybe he think all black folks have hearing problem.

Posted by: alleyes | September 3, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I know many people in Ward 3 who don't like Fenty either. Why? Because he made promises to them that he didn't fulfill, just like everybody else.

I am white and I don't think it is a good idea to buy into the divisions that the Post and Fenty are trying to create. I believe in Gray's "One City."

Posted by: tacard1 | September 3, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Is that why Ms. Rhee postponed her wedding? To attend this rally? She should have gone ahead with the wedding.

No one can use the word "subtle" to describe Mayor Fenty. In the final week of his campaign, he targets an affluent white neighborhood to make up for his less than stellar polls in other predominantly African American wards. I hope the residents of Chevy Chase respond to this dispect of and insult to their intelligence by not voting for him.

As for Ms. Rhee, her appearance at the rally is a blatant conflict with the Hatch Act. Since the election is not supposed to be about her, she should stay at home.

Posted by: Frustratededucator | September 3, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow's event should be billed as the first day of "The Michelle Rhee Farewell Tour."

Posted by: ssmd11 | September 3, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Samv...you have taken the race bait by your generalizations of white people...dont give it to them.

As a white person who has supported Gray since the beginning and have worked numerous VOLUNTEER hours for his campaign, your statements are offensive. This is not a campaign of division, it is a campaign of unity.

One City!

Posted by: DCJUSTICE | September 3, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

“We Believe in Mayor Fenty” – Please check out the videos that we have created in support of the Mayor. It shows a Ward 6 mother supporting Mayor Fenty, a Ward 3 mother, and a small Latino business, La Morenita, expressing their strong support.

We also created a poster for each Ward, where you can print, post and show your friends that the Mayor Believes in the District.

Twitter: @WeBelieveFENTY

Vote FENTY – September 14, 2010!

Posted by: davidgdo | September 3, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was against campaign elections laws for Rhee to campaign for Fenty?

Posted by: lois3 | September 3, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was against campaign election laws for Rhee to campaign for Fenty?

Posted by: lois3 | September 3, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

To Fenty and Rhee, how about this hit tune, "na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na, hey, he-e-e-y, good bye!!"

Posted by: 424me | September 3, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I am a parent at JO Wilson Elementary School and I am in full support of Chancellor Rhee. I am voting for Fenty because I think he has been the first Mayor who has been willing to spend the time and energy that it takes to reform DC schools. I have asked teachers at the school what they think of the Chancellor and there is agreement that schools are in much better place than 4 years ago.
My son loves the school and his teacher and receives the extra help he needs in the after school program created by Rhee. He has a tutor from the Washington Lawyers Committee and participates every year in Geoplunge.
I am more than satisfied with this administration. I think Chairman Gray is a good man but I don't believe he will be as effective as Mayor as Fenty is now.

Posted by: Mayor2011 | September 3, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Preview of tomorrow's Washington Post Headline: Hundreds turn out for Rhee-Fenty rally in Chevy Chase.

Preview of headlines from everyone else:

Hundreds of Chevy Chase residents follow their normal routine of hitting the farmer's market. Joined by Mayor and Chancellor.

Yawn.

Posted by: LukasWP | September 3, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mayor2011 | September 3, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mayor2011 | September 3, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree with tacard1. I'm a White ward 6 resident and detest Fenty and Rhee and will be voting for Gray as my yard sign clearly indicates. Some of my Black brothers and sisters are buying into WaPo's and other news organizations trying to make this a race about race. It's not. It's about Fenty and his incompetence, arrogance, lack of transparency, lack of accountability, etc.

As a DCPS employee, it's also about Rhee for me. I hope she keeps to her promise and leaves when Gray is elected. I'm all for reform but it must be city-wide. I'm also for teachers being held accountable and evaluated fairly. Rhee's brand of reform and accountability are seriously flawed (to put it mildly) and now things are in serous decline in DCPS in spite of what Fenty spouting during the campaign. Not only are scores declining and the achievement gap widening, but it's the most toxic, unhealthy environment in which to work and this is definitely not good for students.

Posted by: UrbanDweller | September 3, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Mayor2011 have you had a conversation with parents at Hardy?

Posted by: thelildiva4u | September 3, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I am a Hardy parent in ward 3. I was disgusted by the lack of consideration given to the student body and parents that protested the changing of their beloved principal and how it was done. In the end, Rhee replaced the Mr. Pope with three people. None one which seem to have a clue. There is no organization,the students and parents are unhappy. Class schedules are not set even now, classrooms are overcrowded and total caos rules. Students themselves organzied a protest for the mayor and have booed the 'Green team' that passes out campaign lit in clear violation of election laws. I can count on one hand the number of Hardy parents, friends and families that will vote for Fenty. The Fat lady may not be signing yet, but she's already picking out a song.

Posted by: acarr_esq | September 4, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse

samvped205 SHAME ON YOU! Your comments are just as racist as you THINK all white people are. Don't play in to the hype that the Wash Post is feeding you. They are just trying to stir the pot. Just like there are blacks voting for Fenty, there are white voting for Grey. Fenty is trying to trick the white vote into thinking that if they dont vote for him, they will be the only ones. YOU are the only one falling for it. Please get your mind right!

Posted by: tformation1 | September 4, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Ron Moten and Big G will be there with the bullhorns and blasting their Go-Go tunes like they do in wards 4, 5, 7 and 8.... I havent seen or heard about it in ward 1, 2, 3 or 6 yet. Just wondering how that would play out.

You see, part of the problem is that after almost 4 years, we don't know who the real Fenty is. We see him acting one way in Ward 8, a different way in ward 2 and now we hear about a third person we have yet to see from his wife only yesterday.

Will the real Adrian Fenty please stand up? Lol

Posted by: tformation1 | September 4, 2010 1:20 AM | Report abuse

DCJustice and formation1:

Please accept my apology. I didn't mean for my comment to be offensive to white people as a whole.

I guess when I read this article, the Post seems to always want us to think that all white people regardless of what Fenty has done to us, look over it.

I have to realize that Fenty uses anyone that he can whether it is black, white, pink, orange, etc.

Please accept my apology.

Posted by: samvped205 | September 4, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Mayor2011

Since you think and believe that only Fenty/Rhee will keep reform going--start looking for another school and/or city.

After school programs ARE NOT AN INVENTION OF RHEE. Are you new to DC

samvped205 - good post 7:13 AM. It appears that you are frustrated more with the attempts of the POST, Fenty, Rhee, Lightfoot, M. Fenty and others to cast this race as a black/white issue. Many are feeling the same frustration.

Talk about the "old days", I remember a time when all DC citizens may not have loved each other but there was always a more respectful tone. If you live in northwest, southeast, northeast or southwest, we still lived as "one city."

Posted by: guylady201001 | September 4, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Is the federal Hatch Act only applicable to all government employees EXCEPT Chancellor Rhee?

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | September 4, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Rhee susbcribes to the Fenty philosophy that the laws and rules don't apply to her either.

Posted by: logosdesigns | September 4, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

samvped205.... just think of the source when you get info. The post is trying to pit white against black because they see that as the only way Fenty may have a chance. Take a good look at both Gray and Fentys campaign worker and you will see both black and white supporting each candidate. What "The People" and Gray have been saying all along is that this is a "class" issue, not a "color" issue. Wash Post and Fenty can't admit that because then he would really look bad. They only thing he respects is the dollar bill and if you dont have it, he doesn't have time for you.

So now they make it into a black/white issue or a ignorant/intelligent issue. What they dont realize is just because you SAY it, doesn't make it true. God gave us the good sense to figure out when someone is pulling the wool over our eyes and we can tell that Fenty is full of it.

Dont let them pull you into their race hating debate. Divide and concur is how his administration has been run for 3.5 years. That's why WE THE PEOPLE are saying ENOUGH!!!

Posted by: tformation1 | September 4, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

A commenter posted an audio of Rhee and I can’t believe Rhee admitted to abusing children when she was a teacher in Baltimore! To silence 2nd graders-- African American babies-- she placed MASKING TAPE on their mouths.

Rhee tells this story to her new Teach America hirees and they find it hilarious. She then elaborates on how she told them to pull off the MASKING TAPE and their mouths were bleeding and they were yelling and crying.

Rhee and her new employees found this sadistic, abusive act towards African American children to be quite funny. If this happened to one of her daughters, I know Rhee would have had the teacher terminated.

The gall of Rhee to make false child abuse claims against DC teachers, when in fact, she’s the one with the questionable past. I can’t believe Baltimore School System didn’t fire her!

Rhee would have never placed MASKING TAPE on the mouths of children from Wards 2 & 3. She would have placed them in the “naughty corner.”

PLEASE, PLEASE LISTEN TO THE AUDIO; YOU WILL BE IN DISBELIEF !!

Also, please repost this so others can hear what Rhee is capable of and what she finds amusing.

HERE’S THE LINK: